Best 12 Inch 50 Watt (or over) Speakers for under 100$

LowHeadRoom

TDPRI Member
Im gonna say nope those will not hold up in a twin unless you keep the volume below 2. Might handle 8-12w each?
Should sound nice.
How can you tell the wattage? The owner claims they are rated at 40 Watts each. Though I have found some conflicting information online. The voice coil is 1.5 inches.

This source specifies 25 watts for the same model but earlier (1968)

This source specifies that two speakers will handle 130 Watts - However, his description of a 200 Watt amplifier powering 2 (4x12) cabinets, makes me think 25 watts as well.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Well, I went ahead and bought these beauties.... soon i'll either be very happy or very disappointed. No idea if they will handle the 80 watts of the Twin. CTS Vintage 1970 Speakers o_O

For 25$ a speaker, I'm hoping I can use them somewhere. I'm not familiar with CTS other than they were in Kustom amps. Either this is the worst decision I've made in awhile, or it will be good for future projects.

Trust me, as long as you are in the speaker rabbit hole, you will make worse decisions. I have a wall full of bad decisions along with several boxes of them.

You got a great price on them. The rubber surround makes them look like they “might” be designed as audio woofers, but hope they work out for you.

Be sure to use at least 2 of them together, or even all 4 with a twin. Old speakers can’t handle as many watts as they did when new, and many weren’t rated very high in the first place. Twins had two speakers in them for a reason. I think that Fender also offer an upgrade to higher powered (JBL or EV?) speakers.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
How can you tell the wattage? The owner claims they are rated at 40 Watts each. Though I have found some conflicting information online. The voice coil is 1.5 inches.

This source specifies that two speakers will handle 130 Watts - However, his description of a 200 Watt amplifier powering 2 (4x12) cabinets, makes me think 25 watts as well.
I can say that I love the 10” version original CTS alnicos in my Silverface 1971 Super Reverb.
I bought a quad of them pulled from a 74 SR.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's

Voice coil diameter and material, cone condition, as well as age are the main factors as far as I know.

I only use my ‘74 CTS 10’s in pairs (or quads) and I only use them with my lower wattage amps. I use modern, high power and easily replaceable Eminence speakers for my higher powered amps.

LowHeadRoom

TDPRI Member
Trust me, as long as you are in the speaker rabbit hole, you will make worse decisions. I have a wall full of bad decisions along with several boxes of them.

You got a great price on them. The rubber surround makes them look like they “might” be designed as audio woofers, but hope they work out for you.

Be sure to use at least 2 of them together, or even all 4 with a twin. Old speakers can’t handle as many watts as they did when new, and many weren’t rated very high in the first place. Twins had two speakers in them for a reason. I think that Fender also offer an upgrade to higher powered (JBL or EV?) speakers.
Thanks so much! This is great information.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Voice coil diameter and material, cone condition, as well as age are the main factors as far as I know.

I only use my ‘74 CTS 10’s in pairs (or quads) and I only use them with my lower wattage amps. I use modern, high power and easily replaceable Eminence speakers for my higher powered amps.

Ted Weber used to say something to the affect of vintage speakers losing 10% of their original power handling for each decade. As all the materials and glues dry out and become brittle, they lose their ability to dissipate heat effectively. Those speakers do look to have bigger voice coils for the time and may well have been rated around 40 when new, but I'd be careful. 20-25W tops is all I'd subject them to.

You could shoot Brian at Weber an email with pictures and he might be able to give you more information about the speakers, whether or not they appear to have been reconed, and how much power you can safely subject them to.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Hello all,

There are rarely guitar speakers listed out there for less than 100$ brand new.

I was wondering if anyone had come across any "hidden gems" when trying out cheap guitar speakers.

I have a Celestion Rocket 50 and like it "ok", but there's just something about it that's not satisfying.

I see that Electro-Harmonix offers some affordable speakers now as well. About $50 for one!

I've also seen the Jensen MOD series. $75 on avg

Anyone care to comment on a good 12" speaker that can handle 50 Watts or above for cheap (under 100$)?

Also, I am looking to play blues rock out of these suckers. Think all the cliché 70's bands.

Thanks!

Hi. I answered in your 5E3 thread. The MODs are good, but pay attention to Jensen's tone descriptions. The 12" will come in different power ratings, but each has it's own tone characteristics. Some sound dark which is not good for an amp that's already got more low end than high end.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Hello all,

There are rarely guitar speakers listed out there for less than 100$ brand new.

I was wondering if anyone had come across any "hidden gems" when trying out cheap guitar speakers.

I have a Celestion Rocket 50 and like it "ok", but there's just something about it that's not satisfying.

I see that Electro-Harmonix offers some affordable speakers now as well. About $50 for one!

I've also seen the Jensen MOD series. $75 on avg

Anyone care to comment on a good 12" speaker that can handle 50 Watts or above for cheap (under 100$)?

Also, I am looking to play blues rock out of these suckers. Think all the cliché 70's bands.

Thanks!
The thing is... you can get GREAT speakers for under 100 bucks if you go used... and they are already broke in.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Yes, the much maligned brown/gold Emi is pretty good once it is well broken in. Last one I picked up on Reverb was 35 bucks. If the high end is too much, glue in a bigger dustcap (oh the horror). And the Weber Sig 12B is a more Brit flavor of those Emis, used to be around 50-60 bucks but Weber has upped it to 80. I would not recommend any of the branded Emi speakers; they cost more, their specs are near fiction, and they never sound right to me. YMMV.

I like the plain old Legends better than most of the Patriot series I've tried as well. They aren't really a "budget" choice anymore but the Legend 1258s often pop up cheap used and are, IMO, tough to beat for something like a Twin.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Perhaps you can find <$100 second hand Jensen C12K is you prefer blues or C12K-2 if you prefer rock. Their power rating is 100W but Jensentone recommend them up to 50W amps.

LowHeadRoom

TDPRI Member
Perhaps you can find <$100 second hand Jensen C12K is you prefer blues or C12K-2 if you prefer rock. Their power rating is 100W but Jensentone recommend them up to 50W amps.
It's funny you say that. Today I got a couple of them off Reverb for $60 a piece! (not including shipping). Shipping is a pain. After hearing some advice here, I thought I'd keep the CTS for 15-18 watt projects. :)

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Yeah those are not really "sources" they are sellers getting rid of stuff that is old and worn out but they hope works.
First answer is those small horeshoe backs have a tiny alnico slug magnet, that at that time made for maybe a 15- 20w rating when amps were often rated at peak rather than RMS output.
The 1 1/2" VC is big enough to handle more power but the magnet is too small and the VC former would be paper which also limits power handling.

Then the old glue is a type that may crumble and fall apart with no signal, plus as mentioned, old speakers lose power handling over the decades.

The tech of the time could not give those a 40w power handling brand new on a good day.
The back then Celestion Blue alnico and Jensen P12N alnico both had huge alnico magnets, and were rated at 15&18 watts.

By the mid to late 70s the better speakers started coming with kapton VC formers that added a few more watts but still not getting 40w from those, if they built 40w speakers in the 70s they gave them bigger magents probably ceramic.