Bequething My Gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BBender, May 10, 2021.

1. BBender

BBender Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My nephew with whom I was very close, was an attorney and serving as the Trustee for my personal trust. Very sadly, he recently and very suddenly died.

Because he also had a strong interest in music and played a little guitar, in my trust, I bequeathed all my musical gear to him. My stipulation was that he use his judgement in distributing the items to deserving musicians.

As a result, as I update my trust, I must decide on another way to distribute my gear upon my death. Unfortunately, I have no kids and no one that I feel would appreciate some of the quality instruments I have acquired over my lifetime.

My health is good, I still enjoy each of my guitars and I have also kept my GAS in check so any current liquidating would be premature.

Perhaps some have also faced this situation so I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Matt G, P Thought, uriah1 and 12 others like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to hear your sad news. The only thing I have are suggestions but I will stand back and let others who might be in that situation speak. Best wishes and I hope you find a plan.

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear it. I am sorta in the same boat, but my collections isn't that extensive.

Try to sell as much as you can, perhaps donate the rest to a cause you like - perhaps a music school? They may know some deserving students.

Danb541 and richiek65 like this.
  4. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Sorry for your loss.
    I’m kinda in the same boat as you so I’m looking forward to getting some ideas too.

5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup - having a second in mind is a good idea - I encourage clients to consider who else, in case #1 gets hit by a bus.
    And that means who else to get some bit of property (if lists of specific items is how the client wants to go) or who will administer the estate.

I, too, plan to have a beloved nephew (who also knows guitars) to cover that portion of my property distribution, but I need to identify somebody else, in case the street action in PDX gets out of hand. I don't think his dog or his girlfriend play guitar.
    Hmmm

6. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

You might check with your local high school band teachers. They might know if there were any super talented youngsters that could benefit greatly from your bequeath-ment.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Sorry about your nephew.
    Are you at a point where you are ready to pass gear along?
    Perhaps you could start now looking for worthy folks and passing it along yourself.

stepvan, P Thought and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Take care of it yourself- hands-on, personally- as much as you can, rather than spending a lot of time effort and money writing up instructions that likely as not will be ignored after you kick anyway

stepvan, Telekarster, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I vote for local school's music programs, and also local drug & alcohol treatment centers.

Music is therapy, when you are jonesing for a drink or a pill, and that guitar in your hand takes you back (or helps to move you forward) to a more sane and sober place.

:)

stepvan and sax4blues like this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Do you have a best friend or old favorite bandmate or know a struggling music teacher who would smile to unexpectedly learn that's he or she has inherited your prized and beloved ____ ?

11. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I can appreciate the gesture, but this seems like the fastest way to give it to a Pawn shop.

12. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

Have you considered giving them to a local store's outreach/education program? Our store is really a great one and have a raft of "loaner" instruments for area kids, and they also do a "Rock Camp" every summer with a concert etc., but not everywhere has a store like them.

I'd say also try your local school, but they often don't know how to deal with musical gear/equipment, if they can use it at all.

13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Fairly myopic read. Not everyone with a problem is someone who steals and fences.

Elliot_G and Dan German like this.
  14. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Sure, give it all away to kids, only to have them go to a dance club, have their first drug experience, then sell all your stuff to buy a set of turntables and "become a DJ".

Seriously, just trash it all. It's not worth the hassle.

Worst case scenario, obviously.

15. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    JJLC, NoTeleBob, Dan German and 4 others like this.
  16. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

My body will be committed to the flames upon a pyre of guitars. My kids have no interest in music. But I wish you luck in your efforts.

17. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

I looked into the pyre.

Seems the only state in the USA you can be burned on a pyre legally is Colorado.

Crestone, CO is the only place where open-air cremations are legal in the United States.

I am just going to buy a wood sail boat and a lot of firewood.

craigs63 and _MementoMori_ like this.
  18. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I have no kids, i have some valuable amps and guitars, I have two nephews that play and have means. I have agreements with them that should i pass before my wife one will pay for my cremation, the other will put the same amount in an account for my wife. That way she won't have to worry about anything out of pocket while waiting for insurance, my nephews will come out ahead, we have already agreed on dispersal of the good stuff between the two.

19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

sry for your loss

20. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Ok.

Addiction is probably the main reason Pawn shops do as well as they do.

pixeljammer, Gevalt, Censport and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.