Bentley's 2013 Challenge. Let's Build: SnowCaster

Discussion in '2013 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Bentley, Jul 20, 2013.

1. crashdavis

crashdavis Tele-Meister

I wouldn't worry about a sand-thru on the top. It is already rustic with the ski wear and tear. It wouldn't be that big a deal, so don't let it mess with yer head. My only suggestion, and you may have done it and just not posted it, would be to take a piece of ski and test your finish on it. No telling what was on the ski to start with, and it's always a good idea to see how your finish is going to work, compatibility-wise. That being said, you can always shellac in between the two to make sure.

Your build is looking awesome. Unique, imaginative and well executed.

2. midget bar

midget bar Tele-Meister

I have been following your build, but have not commented yet and just wanted to reiterate that the top is fantastic. I really like the way it looks and you can't mess up the finish unless you sand off the red paint so don't worry. Keep up the good work and I will keep checking in.

3. mrblanche

mrblanche TDPRI Member

When I spend a weekend working on my hot rod, I always end up with a "mystery injury." How did I get that cut? What is that burn from? Why does it hurt when I put my hand in hot water?

4. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I was going to test the finish.. I just never got around to it.. :oops:

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Yeah, happens to me whenever I mess with mechanics. Metal is mean :lol:

5. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

I am going to Calgary in the morning. This build has me thinking about swinging by a pawn shop to pick up some old skis.

Seriously, this is a cool idea and great execution. Kudo's B.

6. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Just make sure you know before hand, if you do it, any skis you find will be made of epoxy and fiberglass and stuff like that. I got very lucky finding such old skis, that are made of maple.

But that's a great compliment, like they say, imitation is the best form of flattery!

7. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good, Bentley!

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

So got the final coat of lacquer on the body.. I think I did 5 coats.. Pretty thick though, I hope it's enough. No picture of that..

Decided to do some more work... Drove myself to Home Depot and bought some filler.. so I marked out some stuff
    [​IMG]

Usually I do this with a hand drill, but I wanted to try something different.. I used a level to get it 90 degrees to the drill.
    [​IMG]

Set the speed up high.
    [​IMG]

depth stop tape on the bit.
    [​IMG]

All drilled.
    [​IMG]

Taped off.
    [​IMG]

Press filler in with ma finga
    [​IMG]

Couple hours later I'm left with this.
    [​IMG]

Turned out alright. I've done better..
    [​IMG]

I'll take better pictures and explain stuff later, just don't feel like doing the thread anymore.. I think I've hit the wall with the guitar building tonight..
    [​IMG]

The neck is so much easier to lacquer. Went on really nice.
    [​IMG]

This is where I store stuff to dry.
    [​IMG]

I hope to be done in a week before I go to saskatchewan. So by the 21st. I just have to do more lacquering and some wiring (very very little) and make a neck plate. I hope this lacquer will cure fast.. a week seems to be pushing it, but I did thin it, does that help?

Anyway, thanks for watching!

Here's a song I really enjoy, by a great band. Not relevant at all, just wanted to share.

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Good stuff B, you are becoming a prolific builder. Love this concept.

10. crashdavis

crashdavis Tele-Meister

I think the more solvent you put in, the more solvent has to evaporate, therefore the more time it takes to build and cure an equivalent thickness finish. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time.

11. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

:cry: Dangit.. Good thing is wasn't too rich in thinner.. I just kinda dumped some in the hopper after it was about 3/4 full.. I wanted to finish this and buff it before my trip so I could bring it to show my family, as they haven't seen any of my guitars in person, and I kinda want to show them my life.. :lol:

12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Thanks James, means a lot coming from you! :)

13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I was told this by someone who knows what they're talking about:

Most thinners have accelerator in them which speeds up the drying time of the lacquer. The greater the proportion of thinners to lacquer, the faster the drying.

Previous to being told that, I (mistakenly) thought more thinners = longer drying time, as more stuff to evaporate. Seemed to be logical to me...

14. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I heard it in a song once and it just fits you Bentley:

You've come a long way, baby!

Great work! I am looking forward to hearing this one!

15. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

^ Our little boy is growing up. Where does the time go?

:D

Just funnin' ya, B. You're doing a great job, and more importantly, You're getting some great skills under your belt. Good job, man.

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense now.. I'll wait until the day before I leave to sand and buff it out then, just to be sure.. I might not even have to do the neck, it's laying down like glass.

Thanks, man, I have come along way I think.

Thanks Roger, I read my Firecaster thread, and can't believe the silly questions I was asking! :lol: Probably going to look at this on in a year and think the same thing, so hi future Bentley, looking good as always!

Spraying some more lacquer on the neck today, and I'll round up all my parts again.

17. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Turns out it's two weeks or so until the trip! So lot's of time for curing.. Until then, here are some pictures.

Does anyone think the pine on the sides looks weird? I kinda do, but I couldn't think of anything else to do. It's grown on me now, but yeah..
    [​IMG]

The paint on the horn was kinda raised, but the lacquer made it go down nicely. I may have to address this after the challenge, if it doesn't stay in place, as it can still be depressed a little, which I don't like.
    [​IMG]

The back is relatively smooth.. Ignore the mess in the backyard, we're renovating it a bit..
    [​IMG]

Better view of the texture on the back.
    [​IMG]

Love this part.
    [​IMG]

Never grow old of the look of this..
    [​IMG]

Not as smooth as I had wished.
    [​IMG]

I dread having to scrape the frets.
    [​IMG]

Wee! a family!
    [​IMG]

Dang that figuring. I made sure that the heavy figuring would be on the side you see.
    [​IMG]

Glue seem isn't perfect.
    [​IMG]

The filler dyed the wood a bit in some places and I didn't want to sand it all away, probably should have, but I didn't want to mess up the carve or the neck taper.
    [​IMG]

Might put the last bit of lacquer on the guitar body, as I'm not sure it's thick enough, and call it good. I'll get the final bits of work done so I can get this assembled as soon as it's wet sanded and buffed. Oh and so I don't get DQed..
    Thanks for watching!

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Looking good B! I really like natural figuring in wood. The flaws in it just add to the character. I kind of like the glue line under the fretboard too. It's like an accent. You shouldn't have told us it wasn't planned. Ah, so much to learn....

19. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I'll have to check your thread on the Teisco, that paint job on the body looks great.

20. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I actually am not sure if I could have improved the glue line. I used all of my clamps and the pieces fit well.. I also like it. I really like maple fretboard on maple necks, looks so nice IMO.

No thread, but I have been posting updates in the "what's on your workbench" thread. I should be making a pickguard for it too, so hopefully I can get him to give me all the parts, and I'll assemble it and get to play it.. :twisted: Thanks for the compliment, it's my first colour finish.. I mean I've done plenty, it's sooo simple.. Better Nosmo? :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.