1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Benson Monarch schematic or layout?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by choosebronze, Jun 8, 2019.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Hey guys. I'm all for supporting boutique companies, and do when I can. But I also live in a world where I'm not going to have $2,500 to spend on a guitar amp. I wish I did, trust me. The Benson Monarch looks like it's very low part-court, and the reviews are some of the best I've ever seen. Just wondering if anyone has a schematic or any more info. I'd love to build one for myself.

2. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 Tele-Meister

Hmm, two 12ax7’s going into two 6v6’s, with a 5ar4 rectifier huh? Sounds pretty close to a 5e3 to me.

3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

He claims that his designs are original, not clones. Its got one input and only one volume and a tone control, so right there it's not a 5e3. There are some gut shots online but they're built true point to point with some tags strips so good luck tracing the circuit from a picture.... Someone on AMP garage said it has a long tail pair phase inverter and cathode biased power tubes and that he claimed it to be inspired by ampeg and supro. It doesn't look like anyone's traced the schematic, so unless you have access to an amp to work it out for yourself you're probably out of luck.

For what it's worth I don't think it makes a lot of sense to decide you want to build an amp without having ever played it or having any idea what the circuit actually is. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in gushing reviews. Not to say it's not a great amp but reviews are reviews...

4. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Matchless-Spitfire-Schematic_6V6GT.png

Edit to say: this was more to illustrate a point then propose a circuit, and looking back on it I didn't make that very clear. For 6V6GT (or 6V6GTA or 6V6S, whatever) you would probably want a different cathode bias resistor than with the original 6BQ5s. Something in the neighborhood of 250-300R.

Original doesn't have a meaningful definition in amp design. A Fender Deluxe Reverb fresh from Guitar Center with the tags still on it creates your own original sound if you poke your finger though the speaker cone.

Modders and gurus and boutique designers can change a single resistor or capacitor, or even something really esoteric like a small change to the winds in a transformer, and they have technically created something original.

But to take a circuit everyone can see is a Matchless Spitfire (which everyone can further see is a clever but simple update of a Vox AC10), and change one resistor, and market it on Ampgarage and Gear Page and wherever else as "your proprietary design" stretches the word original to meaninglessness.

Even 10 passive component substitutions or some off-the-wall circuit architecture is unlikely to be different from past designs, and unlikely to be responsible for the amp having some secret sauce that will show up in multiple players' tone but not show up in the tones of those same players using someone else's amp.

It's all been done. Make or buy something that you think sounds good.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Alright thanks for the info guys. I probably did get caught up in the reviews (and recordings), especially from some guys I really like. And I was intrigued by their claims that it's actually an original design. I think Chas Benson went so far as to say "It's not based on another amp," for whatever that's worth. But, point taken. I'll find something else to build.

6. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

I'd still be interested in knowing what it is. I had a chance to play through a friend's monarch reverb combo and it did sound very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.