Ben's Bike Quest Update

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Did it.

Couldn't justify spending much more than $300 on a bike when I'm really only looking to ride to school and back, plus a little for exercise, and on top of that, I have to pay for school, so...

I came home yesterday with a bright green Kona Hahana. Hardtail, rigid fork. Originally I was going for the suspension fork at the same price ($350) but they didn't have one in my size, and once the salesperson pointed out that the suspension forks on bikes in this pricerange tend toward the wobbely side of things, I really started to notice on the one that I rode.

So, with the Kona frames being very consistant throughout their product line, I figure I got a good frame, and I can built on it with a decent fork in the future.

As far as the single-speed idea goes, well, the Hahana has 24. Be that as it may, when I took it out yesterday, I found myslef using only about 3 or 4 of 'em, so I'll keep thinking about it.

Thanks to all for their help. I took the advice to heart. I made sure the bike fit right - some of the Raleighs I tried were much shorter frames (as opposed to long) so paying attention to that really made a difference.

Overall, quite a good expereince. So far, the riding has been good, but I just tried to go out again, and now it's raining. Oh well. Maybe I'll just post on the TDPRI instead.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Ben, cruise on down State St. towards Broadway sometime, sunday afternoon is usually a good time, little traffic, and it's like going down the first big drop on a roller coaster.

Then, turn around and ride back UP State St., and you'll find out what all them extra gears is for :)

Matt Plescher

Tele-Holic
Rigids rock. I still ride my rigid Rockhopper sometimes. Nothing like bouncing around with the flex of a steel frame and no suspension.

Matt

4mal

Friend of Leo's
love a hard tail feel. I do keep that front shock about as tight as it will get but it's still there. Descending over the nasties will teach you what that shock is up front for!

Nice choice on the Kona - If you get hooked, go back and take Jake the Snake for a spin. Other than for a 52ri, here is hardly a better 'grand to drop.

Works too slow today - gonna go spin!

Mal

Matt Plescher

Tele-Holic
4mal said:
Descending over the nasties will teach you what that shock is up front for!l

I did a descent on my rigid once over rocks where I could barely keep my hands on the handlebars. My hands got all numb and battered. That ride was fun though, I think the bike was airborne half the time from bouncing. (On that same ride,a melon size rock got thrown up and landed on my bottom bracket but perched in such a way that it didn't hit the chain. It rode along for awhile and then bounced off. Strange.)

After that ride I started looking at front shocks.

Matt

4mal

Friend of Leo's
was chatting it up with a couple of guys at a Sub Shop in Hood River, OR last winter. The owner of the shop is a very funny guy and a great rider so it's sort of a local affte ride carb-load hang out.

So these two guys have just returned from riding 'hospital hill'. The hill is conveniently located behind a local clinic, but it might have been named 'body parts ridge' anyway ... So one guy goes 'dude, I couldn't believe how fast you took that last section, that was insane ... ' The other guy, 'yeah, it was pretty sick. Lots of airtime. I'm lookin into disc brakes after that one ... didn't have any brakes at all after we got below the snow line with all the wetness ...'

The other three guys and I that happen to be standing there are going 'You just rode Hospital Hill, in the rain, when there is snow on the ground, with v-brakes ...? '

oy ...

I've ridden that one in the dry and it's scary enough. Ah to be young and indestructible.