Benefits of the last year!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Jun 24, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I had never Zoomed till a few days ago. It was for a 3 hour class. and now I have done 4 classes. No morning prep, getting in car, driving 20 minutes and sitting in a mediocre chair. I didn't like sitting so close to people anyway. I can run to the head, grab a snack, quick bathroom break. The negatives are, nose picking is limited since you are on display. Anyway, I actually can retain more, take better notes if needed, and still have one one one with the instructor if needed. I like it. The one thing that lacks is you can't chat while on break. I don't know how good or bad it is not to converse on a frequent basis.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I need actual human interaction so it was fortunate for me that I was considered essential personnel during this whole mess.

3. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Less unnecessary business travel. I literally spent 25% of my working time driving to locations to have "meetings". Most of which were unnecessary, basically job insurance for the person hosting the meeting. I love the virtual meetings, more productive, less travel. If you travel for business it gets old quick, after doing it for 20 years, every hotel looks the same, every conference room feels the same, and most meeting feels like useless progress reports, that never are worth the time and money spent to attend. My quality of life, and production has skyrocketed since I don't have to spend multiple hours driving to and from meeting sites.

teleman1, pbenn and bgmacaw like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

For me, it has meant no daily driving for 2 hours in awful suburban metro Atlanta rush hour traffic. Sadly, that will partially end after Labor Day.

I also haven't had to business travel since January 2020, another great thing. I hate being stuck in a cheap hotel room for a week.

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Online school only works for some. For the vast majority, this necessary experiment has only highlighted the need for in-person instruction.

JuneauMike likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Us essential folks didn't have to shave past the "mask line".

I just realized an hour ago my beard had crept onto my neck more than I'd like.

I had countless employees and a few co-workers take advantage of the situation. I would have liked 12 separate weeks out, paid, too but someone had to run the place.

The real benefits we are about to feel is an influx in demand for live music. Its already kinda started.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My wife complains sometimes that I work more since I've been working from home (I'm a software engineer). My work laptop is always on. Previously, I almost never turned it on when I was home unless I got a rare after hours call.

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I got a funny mask that looks like flowers but has F words in the pattern so I felt kinda sneaky when I wore it. Mods probably won't let me post a pic but imagine colorful posies surrounded with "This F***--- Sucks" and you get the idea.

Does that count as a benefit?

I started a job in March 2020 that was by all accounts a huge promotion and within 1 month my team and my boss were fired and 3 months later the program was cancelled and now I'm doing work that is 3 promotions away from the job I was hired for and I left a better job to get here.
    Fortunately they did not reduce my salary except for a few weeks of mandatory furlough.

Does that count as a benefit?

I learned we had turkey burgers in the freezer. They weren't bad. So I guess that counts as a benefit.

I fostered a preamp pedal addiction. Here's one that is line clone of a Dual Rec solo channel (red side) with 3 12AX7 tubes. It's the first one made so nobody else has one yet. The maker closed ordering for a month so nobody will be able to order until August so I have the only one for probably 4 months so nana-nana-boo-boo. It makes my Champ practice amp SCREAM with real tube break but at "inside voice" volume. Can't wait to record with it. This is definitely a benefit.
    upload_2021-6-24_10-36-49.png

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.