Benefits of sharp tools

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 1bad914, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

I am stating the obvious here, but I really found out today how important this is. I was using chisels to fit the 356 neck to the body. I was struggling. I thought my tools were sharp. I started from scratch and resharpened all of them to the best of my ability. It was totally amazing how much easier everything was with sharp chisels. I guess my point for any newbie chiselers, take the time to really sharpen them. It makes a tough job easy.

Matt G, nojazzhere, Ricky D. and 5 others like this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

One of the little rituals that I do before starting any project is to make sure my tools are scary sharp.

1bad914 likes this.
  3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

This meets both of those 'requirements'...

IMG_9853.JPG

nojazzhere, Fretting out and 1bad914 like this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

not only does sharp tools make things easier, correctly sharpened tools make things even easier ... a few minutes learning how to properly sharpen tools is time well spent...

r

nojazzhere, 1bad914 and Fretting out like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Absolutely true. Be it chisels, knives, chainsaws, lawn mower blades, shave razors....everything is a night / day difference when sharp yet very few take the time to discover that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

And sharp tools, properly sharpened tools are certainly safer than those that are not. I learned that the hard way many times.

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  7. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

I'm in agreement with everybody here.

Once I bought the correct sharpening equipment and learned how to properly sharpen tools, it was a revelation.

I could begin to understand how the craftsmen of old managed to make precise joints before the era of machine tools.

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Blunt tools are dangerous. - Grandad, 1966

Erwin, boredguy6060 and Fretting out like this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I cut a hundred yards of beech hedgerow, yesterday- top and sides. With blunt blades, it would be a two day nightmare. Don't ask me how I know.....

beagle likes this.
  10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Dull cutting edges are dangerous and often causes the ruin of your project.

All are important, but your chisels more so than most.

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's why......

a sharp tool can "acquire purchase". . . that means "bite" .. with precision when you place the cutting edge where you want to make the cut... then applying pressure, the tool will continue on line into the wood, making the cut as intended.... because it "bites" so easily, the chance that it will slip out, uncontrollably, as you force it into the wood is dramatically reduced..

a dull, or even partially "sharp" blade can encounter differential densities of the wood as you're working it, which can divert the blades edge away from the intended line... that can also be on a trajectory completely out of the wood.

If you are applying pressure and things "let go" .. the only thing that will stop its uncontrolled forward progress is either your reflexes.. usually way too slow.. or something on line with the tools trajectory. . . all too often that's something soft... like your fingers....

The danger is further exacerbated by the fact that more force is required to make the dull edge cut, which means when you soft hand is stopping the blade, it does so with more trauma, than had the error been made with a sharp edge...

Keep 'em sharp...

r

nojazzhere and 1bad914 like this.
  12. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Was mowing the yard the other day with my son. I let him use the riding mower and he does the bulk of it. I go behind with a walk behind mower and just do the corners and the tight spots where he can’t get in very well. It kept bogging down and dying. I tried a little carb cleaner and checked the air filter and plug and do on to no avail. Finally decided to check out the blade and see if maybe something was binding it up. One end of it had a pretty good ding in it and it definitely needed sharpening. I pulled it off and touched it up with my grinder and voila, no more bogging and ran like a dream. Hard to believe the difference a sharp blade can make sometimes.

Matt G, nojazzhere and 1bad914 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.