Benefit of Mesa’s multiple rectifier tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mexicanyella, Aug 9, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I’ve assumed Mesa dual- and triple-rectifier amps used the multiple rectifier tubes to achieve harder-hitting transients due to less power supply sag.

If that’s true, then what is the benefit of using multiple rectifier tubes over just using solid-state rectification?

Do rectifier tubes impart tonal artifacts as well as sag characteristics?

2. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

funny i was just speaking to a long time amp tech and this came up. He did all the warranty work in the region for Mesa. His comment [paraphrased] to my question regarding their rectification philosophy was that he considered it silly. that is, why use tube rectifiers if you don't let them be tube rectifiers.

i think its kind of clear that mesa likes solid state rec's but they'll do some tube rec's kicking and screaming to satisfy those customers demanding them.. but by god they're going to stack them so you'll never hear it.

Tim S, archetype and corliss1 like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

^Exactly that

Andy B likes this.
  4. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

My Blue Angel is a dual rectifier, but there's no option to switch between them -- I guess this is what you mean by "stacked". On the other hand, I can switch between tube and solid state on my Maverick -- and they respond differently. Are the other dual rectifiers non-switchable?

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for answering my question!

I used to play through a pair of Valco 1 X 10 tweed combos from around 1959-1960. Both originally came with 5Y3 rectifier tubes, but one of the amps had a the rectifier heater winding on the way out in its power supply transformer. So I put a plug-in solid state rectifier in its tube socket as a stop-gap measure. The difference in feel and perceived loudness was immediately obvious. It was a louder, harder-feeling amp after that.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Doesn't using more than one increase the current capability without losing the tube rectifier feel?

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. That's why a 50 watt Mesa Single Rectifier has one rectifier tube, the 100 watt Dual Rec has two, and the 150 watt Triple Rec has three.

DougM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.