1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

bending g string at 9th fret

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by redcell, Sep 21, 2011.

1. redcell

redcell TDPRI Member

Any thoughts anyone
    I have 52 hot rod

When I bend 1 tone up at the above position, as well as a pitch change I hear a tone change - nasal like

Any thoughts on a cause
    ?is it because the hot rod is very resonant and I am hearing things that don't usually come through

The effect is most marked when not amplified

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Check your set up, get a fret rocker and check your frets.

3. JuSteve

JuSteve Former Member

+1

Also check how your G is seated through your nut. For myself, it's the most tortured string of the 6, being bent in both directions.

4. qwerty95

qwerty95 Tele-Holic

My b does that bad. For me, it's because the string gets stuck in a tiny gap between the screw on the saddle and the hole in the saddle for the screw. It's driving me a bit crazy. I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but you might check if the string slips there when you bend it.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Get your frets leveled and nut cut correctly.

If it hasnt had a pro setup yet thats all it needs.

6. drett

drett TDPRI Member

I'm no great expert, but this is sounds like a particular pet peeve of mine. It might not be a fret problem at all, but one of those "wolf tones" where there's some kind of interference between that particular note and the frequency at which the guitar resonates. When it happens--and it is common on bolt-on and set-neck guitars alike--it seems to be the worst at the G string somewhat close to where the neck meets the body. I think it's also most noticeable during bends, but try moving two frets up the neck and playing that same note without a bend. Does it sound crappy with much less than normal sustain? If so, it's probably one of those wolf tones. And if it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can try various things to weight the headstock but that just moves the interfering frequency to another spot.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The formula for electric guitars is, if it doesn't come through the amp, it's not a problem.
    Some guitars have a note that gets something in the guitar humming...wood, pickguard, electronics...I have a guitar that vibrates like mad on one particular note.
    But if it doesn't come through the amp...
    Try fretting the target note you're bending to and see if the problem remains.
    If not, the bend is probably causing the string to "fret out" and the fret needs dressing.

8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Brass saddles are soft, and they often develop poorly defined grooves or just irregular surfaces that can cause exactly that problem. It could certainly be a high fret, but it's worth checking the saddle as well.

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Charlie hit it. If it ain't coming through the amp it doesn't count. And I gotta ask, why would you care? Just crank the distortion up and get back to work.

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

+1. Ish.

I like a low action, so I expect a certain amount of rattle acoustically on electrics, especially playing rhythm. However the tone should sound pure through a clean amp. If it's got a definite deadness or buzz to it when clean, it might be a borderline high fret (in your case) not much further down the fret board.

But if the tone is just a bit weird, it might also be a sympathetic ring with the strings behind the nut. Mute the strings there and see if you still get the same tone. That's definitely a problem/feature with the extra string between tune-o-matic style bridges and tailpieces but it can also happen behind the nut. I guess it might change depending how the guitar is strung.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.