Benders are not just for country........Bob Warford edition

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Rick Towne, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I'ma stealing all that for this Tuesday night!

telex76 likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Benders are not just for country....

and neither are Steel Guitars !

hotraman and telex76 like this.
  4. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Ronnie Wood, Rolling Stone

5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

That was great! . . . Btw, notice Bob's maple neck ..maybe his capped Strat neck was getting a fret-job?

6. Bob Warford

Bob Warford TDPRI Member

I still haven't figured out why that neck was on the guitar then - I had a '57 Tele that I had bought before I traded my Roy Noble dreadnaught to Clarence for the white Telecaster with the re-cut Strat neck. Never had the frets dressed or worked on, to this day.

At some point, I played with trying the other neck (frets on the blond neck were much higher than those on the re-cut Strat neck) just to see which I preferred. I know I did that for a while, and assume that this was part of that time.

Obviously, the re-cut Strat neck won, as it is still on the guitar...

Bob

7. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wicked playing there, Bob!!

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That re-cut Strat neck is also very weird - I inspected the fretwork and they're small. triangular and seemingly made out of some kind of unobtanium - or depleted uranium! Had and impervious to wear. Along with Red's electronics they give the thing a huge amount of "bite", even when picking lightly. Bob's "signature" LPB-1 Linear Power Booster really adds to the "snarl" he gets.

And FWIW it's amazing he can play it like he does - with the light strings, VERY low action and short bender throw, everyone else who tries it seems to be baffled! But it fits Bob like a glove and his sound easily identifiable. Errr - and so does the LPB1 and using the same Vibrolux Reverb for umpty-zillion years! I wouldn't say Bob's "anal" about his gear....but he *IS* "consistent"?

:D

(staring each other down during a gig after some song glitch. I lost. The bass player ALWAYS loses!:lol:)

Jim & Warford gig staredown.jpeg

BB, asatfan and newrider1969 like this.
  9. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bob's so fun to listen to. That Everly's version of 'Mama Tried' is so cool. Bob's playing is icing on the cake!

Interesting about the LPB1. I bought one in 72 or 73 because my Bandmaster wasn't quite loud enough at full volume for outdoor fraternity gigs. It was the first time I felt like I understood sustain and overdrive. I've never been an effects guy, I've tried compression and delay a few times and never liked the sounds I was getting so I gave up. I did buy a new version of the LPB1 a couple years ago...maybe my imagination but it didn't give me the same confidence it seemed to when I was a young fellow.

10. Bob Warford

Bob Warford TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kind comments. Jim "Silverface" is correct about my being "consistent". Still playing the same guitar, still through the same old Vibrolux (long ago modified by Red Rhodes), and still using an LPB-1 - got one of the newer versions, but also really like a combination box put together by a friend of mine (if he consents, I'll disclose who that is, or he can), which has the same basic preamp circuit as part of the box, but is much more physically robust than the original LPB-1. The whole idea is using the preamp to controllably overdrive the input stage of the amp, creating a variable amount of distortion, which, once you get used to it, allows you to pick very gently, which helps sustain but sounds relatively clean, or pick a bit harder, which adds some distortion. And the overall volume level of the amp is a factor, too. If you are playing at a volume level of 5, for example, even with the LPB-1, it will only distort if you have the guitar volume all the way up and pick relatively hard. I, personally, like volume at 7. Of course, that's where some of Red's old modifications helped - he put in a master volume control (I have no idea what the actual electronics of all that might be), so the distortion, etc., is independent of the actual amount of sound coming out of the amp.

Sorry for the long post, but the overall combination of things really has and does allow a lot of variability in terms of sound, sustain, and clean/distorted texture, far beyond what I've ever found in any other effects boxes.

11. Bob Warford

Bob Warford TDPRI Member

Oh, and I should also add, I almost always play only using the bridge pickup, and with the guitar volume turned all the way up. Everything else after the basic settings (LPB-1 full on, amp volume on 7, master volume set for the room) depends on how hard I pick... Simple, and very user-friendly.

Probably more than anyone wanted or needed to know, but...

Silverface, asatfan, Doc Leon and 2 others like this.
  12. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Thank you, Bob Warford! I'm a big fan, and it's really great to hear about the equipment you used / use! This is one of the best threads on TDPRI I've read so far since I joined.

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

thx Bob, always enjoy reading your posts ! Oh yeah, Jim too !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.