bench cookies...yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, Mar 12, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

just bought some...i used to just use an old shower towel under my bodies while i route pockets but after so much saw dust it would start to move around to much....i picked some up...seems kinda hard on some shape bodies to keep them on the edges so the body does not pop up when you route next to any sides like a rear control cavity...
    opinions?

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I've been using bench cookies for years , I use them for routing pockets , round overs , etc , just use enough of them to keep body from tipping , one of the better shop items to have around

3. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I'm surprised to hear them being used for routing, where the slightest slip can mean mistake/disaster (or injury!)

I have some, and use them for other work, but would be way too cautious to rely on them for routing. I want to be sure everything but me and the router cannot move, so everything is clamped/screwed/whatever.

I like using them for simple things like sanding a body blank, so I can sand the entire face/back at once, without clamps/vice getting in the way.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I was skeptical when I first picked some up , I believe it was Colt's recommendation that got me on them , they just work , and for me they work well .

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

+1 If i remember to grab them when I'm routing :D

6. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

:rolleyes: Dang, I've got a couple handfuls of those things in a drawer. Clean forgot I had 'em!
    [​IMG]

7. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Use them for hand routing just like Herb said. Never had an issue.

8. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler TDPRI Member

I use a square from a yoga mat, or else use carpet tape to stick the piece to my workbench if its smaller. My bench cookies mostly collect dust.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

I'm with brainy personally. They lose some of there grip when dusty or dirty and I wouldn't trust routing on them for that reason. I use them in setup, finishing stages mainly.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use Bench Cookies all the time, but don't rely on them to hold work still for routing. Any time I use a handheld router the work is clamped down. I've never had a router accident that worried me in terms of injury, but I've had more than a few of those little incidents that ruined patterns or projects. Clamping the work down just eliminates one more potential for trouble, and adds nothing to the time it takes to do a job.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree....I want to be assured nothing will move.

12. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I've used them in all kinds of situations and never had them slip when routing. I keep then relatively clean, but they don't need to be that clean to hold really well.

13. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

I'd never even heard of them until this thread! must look into it...

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I clamp things down when I route these days, but I still use my bench cookies for a lot of stuff.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm with BB... routing is serious shiite.... soild as a rock clamped/screwed.. or I don't even plug the router/trimmer in...;)

16. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

bit of background for us landlubbers

I don't build guitars myself, but as my dad was a keen carpenter when we were kids, I kept a strictly watching interest in woodworkers ever since. In case there are any more like me who had no idea what a bench cookie was, here's what I just found on YT

17. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

and I must admit that looks pretty scary!

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't use them for that type of routing. That is scary, I know they grip well but I kept waiting for the piece to get shot across the room.

I use them when routing through a piece and I need space between the router and table. Like deepening a LP control cavity. I also use some creative clamping to ensure my safety and minimal damage to the body sould the router decide it's hungry.

19. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

This. I've had bench cookies since they first came out, but I mostly use them for sanding or some assembly that requires a cabinet or some other thing to be slightly raised from the workbench. Nothing beats clamps for routing.

I use this a lot, works like a charm. Bought it to use pocket holes in face frames, but works great for guitars, too.
    [​IMG]

20. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

They work great, and I do use them for routing, but not along the edges, that's what a router table is for. But for doing cavities etc I've never had a problem.

However, you can't get away with just 1 pack of four, you'll not be able to support all of the edges, and you may get tipping if you're not careful. I always use 6 to 8 depending on the shape of the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.