1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Benadryl to help you Sleep...anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Alcohol is cheaper...

When I consume it , I eventually fall asleep ...

Or reading a book...

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Doug knows your particular pain...

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I do that and it makes me angry or afraid.

telemnemonics and rangercaster like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Booze has a hitch for me. It may help me fall asleep, but it's not a great quality sleep and I wake up in the middle of the night and have problems falling back asleep.

5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

apparenty this might take you to sleep. i have never trid it though. it is supposed to slow your heartbeat down to the rhythm in the music.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

My wife was taking melatonin for a short while. I tried a pill one time and had the craziest dreams ever. I haven't taken one since. It did help me sleep deeply though.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

ramp up your exercise so that you are tired by the end of the day. better long-term plan. don't be beholden to any bottle, pill or other substance if you can swing it.

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes Benadryl is fine. That is the ingredient in Tylenol PM, which is a mild over-the-counter sleep aid. You might test your tolerance. I found that with one pill I was still a little drowsy by noon the next day. I cut mine in half and 1/2 pill is perfect.

Other mild sleep aids are melatonin and valerian (herbal, very mild). As with anything you ingest, try to avoid long term usage, as you build up a tolerance and (to varying degree) dependence.

2HBStrat likes this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I take melatonin sometimes, but I found that literally 1/4 pill was enough for me.

JayFreddy, Danb541 and 2HBStrat like this.
  10. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

No...not a long term solution.

11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Benadryl is pretty safe, but can make you dopey in the morning. Tylenol PM works pretty well too.
    I find that Benadryl helps you go to sleep,
    TYlenol pm helps you sleep through.

Alcohol isn’t a good sleep aid. Have you read up on other sleep science?

12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

CBD products may be a possibility...

13. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Works great, try Melatonin too.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Random strangers on the internet if I want to get info from people who have had personal experience using it, versus a doctor who will want to run tests, put me on some expensive prescription meds, or just tell me don't do it.

Man, I wish...4 hours is what I get if I'm lucky, then toss and turn for 3 or 4 more.

Oh, I'm plenty tired at night. That isn't the problem...

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Exercise and/or physical labor is amazingly effective at making you want to go to sleep.

For the last month I’ve been working outside every day and leaving at four so I have time to get in 20 miles on the bike every night.

I fall asleep before I can make it to the refrigerator for that one beer that I planned on having.

Screen watchers and mouse chasers might need to do something physical to get your tucker on...

stevemc, Ignatius and lewis like this.
  16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I think it's a bad idea long term. I did try the same thing with NyQuil a while back.

There's no doubt you should talk to your Doctor but simple melatonin helps me.

The one that works the best for me is the 10mg made by SUSI. Melatonin is available without a prescription & is non habit forming.

2HBStrat likes this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I have to block out some serious sleep time if I take any diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at all. My dad, on the other hand, could take it several times a day for allergies without that knockout effect--it depends on the individual.

Melatonin gave me nightmares same as the poster above.

If you can find an over-the-counter sleep aid that contains doxylamine, that is usually a LOT more subtle than Benadryl, and IME easier to wake up from, should you have to during the night. It used to be marketed as Unisom, but I've been out of retail pharmacy for so long that I've lost touch with what's available currently. Another OTC product that I use occasionally is meclizine, a motion sickness preventative also called Antivert.

I've been a pharmacy technician for almost twenty-five years; hope some of this info helps you.

tonyj and 2HBStrat like this.
  18. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Insomnia is often an indicator of some other issue (stress, anxiety, etc...) and it's best to try treating that if possible.

If not or you just need sleep... might as well give it a shot while you work out the other issues. Or if you want to stay away from any type of drug, you can always watch old CSPAN2 broadcasts from the 80s for approximately 2 minutes.

19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

If you don't want to go to the doctor you have to ask yourself the hard questions.

What do you do all day? Are you active? How much coffee do you drink, soda, alcohol? What do you eat? What do you need to cut out of your diet, cut that out. Be honest with yourself you know what you need to cut out of your diet.

cnlbb likes this.
  20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Bad idea in general. It's a sudafed(Pseudoephedrine)! Not a sleep aid. Unpredictable and inconsistent reactions and can build up in the system. It's basically an allergy medicine combined with an upper and a downer. Also one of the ingredients in making amphetamines according to wiki and Google. So yeah...very very bad idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.