Ben-Hur, movie character: bilateral symmetry, joint pain

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
Here I go again relying on a memory from decades ago -

At one point Ben-Hur was in with the shackled slaves in the belly of a Roman warship, pulling on oars all day. After maybe weeks laboring on the starboard side, he requests of the whip-cracking slave driver to be moved over to the port side. The slave driver respects Ben-Hur's motivation - to strengthen both halves of his musculature equally.

So.

When the (enemy) ship hits the fan, and Ben-Hur's boat is drastically about to sink, the slave-driver unlocks only Ben-Hur from the shackles - the rest of the slaves drown.

That's where my mind went when I lunge/stooped to turn off the garden hose. LEFT knee bearing the weight. For once. Wear out that left one for a change. ok, 2 much coffee, sry. isn't really logical. But your right knee will thank me. Sight a rifle with my left eye. Now I've changed my own darn topic.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I recently (a month ago) watched Ben-Hur for the umpteenth time. Never saw that sequence. The Centurion in charge (not the Hortator or the whip-master) instructs them to release his shackles when the pirates are sighted. When the ship starts sinking, Ben-Hur kills the Hortator, gets the keys and starts unshackling the oar-slaves...

The book, however, may be different...

My left knee had been acting up and I instituted a program of stepping up (stairs, ladders, etc.) with left first. 2 yrs later, my knee no longer hurts. I have to climb a 16ft ladder to access my attic storage area and since we've moved, I've been up and down multiple times per day. I rotate which leg does the step up, just to retain symmetry...

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's

At one point Ben-Hur was in with the shackled slaves in the belly of a Roman warship, pulling on oars all day. After maybe weeks laboring on the starboard side, he requests of the whip-cracking slave driver to be moved over to the port side.
I remember that incident too. If it's not in the film, I'm pretty sure it's in the book.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Proof that I am really stupid, and knew that going in.

In the early days of my GB years, my gait was starting to get weird. I think it was called an ataxic gait. You start by trying to follow a straight line, but sometimes you veer off course. Mathematicians would call this a drunken walk. I soon acquired a cane, which has served me since 2006.

I bought the cane at a pharmacy and returned to the car, not knowing which side I would use to hold the cane. GB affects both sides of the body. So, it didn't matter which side I would use the cane for.

Well, surely you think as I did, which was to move the cane from one side to another, in order to make sure that I stayed symmetrical. Most of my decisions are made based on the pain of the moment, and not considering the effects of this in the future. What a dope I was.

Some years later, I found that my right leg was larger than the left leg. Sometimes this was noticed by others, but sometimes not. I've been trying to fix this, but only when my pain lets me.

Do whatever you can to stay symmetrical.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
There's a book??!
Certainly is - by Lew Wallace, Union Civil War General among other things.
1200px-Lew_Wallace_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
I don’t remember that in the film. My mom and sister loved that movie and watched it every time it came on TV. However, just because I don’t remember it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
Those Heston epics were really hokey.

Word was, someone actually died during the filming of the chariot race scene... rumor.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Those Heston epics were really hokey.

Word was, someone actually died during the filming of the chariot race scene... rumor.
Nobody died in the 1959 version...but it was a remake. The 1926 silent version...OMG.

In the 20s, much less care was taken. The lead actor, Francis X. Bushman (playing Ben-Hur), related at least one death in that chariot race. Much of the actual carnage then has been carried forward in time to the 1959 version via the rumor mill.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

At one point Ben-Hur was in with the shackled slaves in the belly of a Roman warship, pulling on oars all day. After maybe weeks laboring on the starboard side, he requests of the whip-cracking slave driver to be moved over to the port side. The slave driver respects Ben-Hur's motivation - to strengthen both halves of his musculature equally.

So.

When the (enemy) ship hits the fan, and Ben-Hur's boat is drastically about to sink, the slave-driver unlocks only Ben-Hur from the shackles - the rest of the slaves drown.

That's where my mind went when I lunge/stooped to turn off the garden hose. LEFT knee bearing the weight. For once. Wear out that left one for a change. ok, 2 much coffee, sry. isn't really logical. But your right knee will thank me. Sight a rifle with my left eye. Now I've changed my own darn topic.
Like several others, I don't recall Juda Ben-Hur requesting a change in seating, but definitely remember the Roman guy having him un-locked. Then when the ship was rammed, Ben-Hur was free to try to help the other slaves.
I was very young when I first saw the 1959 film, and didn't realize just how corny and contrived it actually was.....even in its own day.
The chariot race is still exciting, though.

rsclosson

Tele-Afflicted
When somebody asks me on my job what I think of a certain procedure or policy I always answer:

"I just pull the oars. I don't get to beat the drum"

It gets a laugh from my older colleagues but a confused look from the younger ones.