1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Belly Cuts on a Tele, what say you?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by myteleplaysjazz, Aug 26, 2020.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I take your point; brings to mind what has come to be known as a 'Superstrat'-anything vaguely resembling a Stratocaster, not necessarily built by Fender and with assorted pickup and switching configurations, seems to have acquired generic status as far as what it is called. I believe it all began with the Jackson Soloist in the '80s.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I don't much worry about it one way or the other. I have never had a problem with any guitar ergonomically. Tele, Strat, LP, ES, acoustic, whatever, I just play 'em.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Nay

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I don't like "belly cut" on any guitar. That is one of the things I don't like about Strats. I feel that it allows the top of the body to tilt back and the lower part of the body move away from the player and that affects the angle of the fretboard to the players fretting hand.

Controller and black_doug like this.
  5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I have a Tom A Tele Style guitar that is THE most comfortable guitar in my 54+ guitar collection.

It weighs 6 1/2 lbs because it's hollow, and it has the bent top and and belly cut.

There is no guitar in my collection that can top this guitar for comfort.

'03 Tom A 6120 Tiger Eye Hollow T Drop Top:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not a fan and won’t purchase a Telecaster with a belly cut.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever works for you—but I prefer a full slab on my slab-bodies, thank you very much!

My ‘72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe has the tummy cut. I’d prefer it didn’t.

My main (avatar) Telecaster doesn’t have the tummy cut. I like it better...I like the feel of the edge against my torso...it makes me dig in a little harder.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  8. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

It depends on the Tele.

Personally I don't think a belly cut has any business on an ash maple flat pole black guard.

But I had a CS Artisan style Tele with both forearm and belly cuts that I liked a lot. Light as a feather and with the curvy body nick named the potato chip.

[​IMG]

Greggorios and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NOPE.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

I have had teles with and without the belly cut. I prefer the belly cut by a large margin. Adds comfort especially if playing sitting down.

11. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

All other things equal, I would prefer it...but I rarely come across one that I want to buy.

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

personally I like the slab body, I don't like the contours on the Strat either. I prefer the tele body shape over the Strat completely, I like how Strats sound, I just would prefer they were to put the guts in a tele body. I know the Nashvilles are cool, I just don't like contours or the Strat shape

Greggorios likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you.

I must remind myself, that I didn't find the Les Paul body shape objectionable, until a flood event took away my existing guitars and I had to decide if I was prepared to spend "modern" money on a guitar shaped like that. When I was just focused on the music, and still living back in a world where people once played anything they could get their hands on, and it was like someone whispered in my ear

"Bubba, you don't have to like a Les Paul if you don't want to". "I don't? You mean I can change my old habits and start afresh? Doing it "right" this time?"

Greggorios and AndrewG like this.
  14. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

That's why they make different guitars so everyone can get what they want. I was a strat guy when they first came out with lace sensors. A red one and a black one. Like that out of phase sound. Have always referred to solid body guitars as slabs. I love acoustics, and resonators too. Cannot remember when the telecaster first grabbed me. But love the look of them and I prefer no belly cut. Had a Gretsch when first learning Travis picking and it was a ball. But I used to buy and sell and have just now decided to keep what I have. But telecaster is my favorite.

Greggorios and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I grew-up playing plain 'ol Telecaster's with out a belly cut. It doesn't bother me not having one.

Owenmoney likes this.
  16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

While I don't like a belly cut on a Tele, there's at least the (small) possibility I would maybe own one. But one with a forearm contour? No way. BOTH?? Ugh.

17. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I think the next iteration of the American Pro should be the same neck and bridge, but with the frets, pick-ups and belly cut of the previous model. That would be a winner.

nathanteal likes this.
  18. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I refused to buy an American Elite Tele because of the belly cut. I *loved* the compound radius neck, the pickups, the six saddle bridge (could have done without the cheap plastic S1 switch) but the damn belly cut was a deal-killer. IMO part of the appeal of the aesthetics of the Tele is its symmetry. The belly cut makes it look like someone took a good Tele and squashed one side of it! But -- OF COURSE -- to each their own.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. Buddy123

Buddy123 NEW MEMBER!

I don’t like belly cuts because I like to feel the closeness of the guitar on me. Instead I prefer rounded edges on my tele

Fiesta Red and Greggorios like this.
  20. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

When I built my Tele the swamp ash body was a whopping 8lbs by itself. It took some creative back routing, a belly cut and forearm bevel to get it down to 4lbs. Now that it's done I wouldn't have it any other way.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.