1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Belly Cuts on a Tele, what say you?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by myteleplaysjazz, Aug 26, 2020.

1. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Like most people here, I could take it or leave it. I like the 2 of mine that do have it, but I play sitting down nearly all the time. I think its a bigger issue if you're sitting. The one that doesn't have it, my Hwy One, it's not that big of a deal. And it really should be called a "Rib Cut".

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I hate to appear rude and I know someone will think this is rude, but this is a Warmoth T body. Not a "Tele" body. The design Ken Warmoth cooked up was purposefully different enough from Leo's old profile, because at the time nobody knew what a court of law might decide, as to FMIC's intellectual property rights on Fender body shapes. Eventually Ken Warmoth and the other litigants crushed FMIC's claims and now anyone can use the real T shape (accurately captured or not) and I thank Ken Warmoth for making our lives IMO a little simpler.

But he never fixed the T body shape he sells most, like this one. This one, gives me a headache. Apologies and all that, but I'm serious. Nobody had to tell me it was Warmoth - that's painfully evident to my eye. Rather have an accurate silhouette or just go all the way and do something like the Yamaha Pacifica. Half way, ain't no way.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Greggorios and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My belly approves.

4. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

When USACG first opened shop, they offered a $99 Swamp Ash Tele body special. Tommy asked me if I wanted the tummy cut for $15. I said, "Nah" as I was trying to keep it cheap. He said, "I'll do it free". No regrets! I liked it.

boris bubbanov and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I prefer not to have belly cuts, but it's not the end of the world if a Tele (or other guitar for that matter) has them, if I like the way it sounds and plays.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I generally prefer them without contours, but I have a pine-bodied tele with an ash top that has a belly cut. Either the pine or the ash is not very lightweight (or both), but the guitar is on the heavy side. They put a belly carve in when they built it which probably helped. Still a little heavier than I prefer. Very comfortable though. And when you're playing it, no one can really tell, so it doesn't mess with the aesthetics too much.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Would love 'em, except on vintage re-issues, ...but don't NEED 'em.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Each to his own, what ever "plunks your magic twanger..." I'll stick with the original plank like Leo made. Fits just right for my old bones both sitting and standing.

Controller and PacificChris like this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have one Telecaster and I purchased it knowing it had a BC. I'd prefer it did not, but no big deal.

10. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I own an Elite, which as the belly cut. I like it. If anything, it shaves a bit of weight off. Comfort and lighter...Win win in my books. :)

11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am in the process of putting , ,a belly/tummy cut on a tele of mine it will also be getting an elbow relief as part of the process...however getting the paint off has me thinking, but not to hard about buying a clean body with the cut and relief using the the neck, hardware pickups et al. from the shamefully sunburst body I am laboring over.

Rant time trying to sand off the poly-whos-its plastic-paint from hell is an amazing thing.
    I intend to get some of that paint and paint the soles of my birkenstocks , with the absolute conviction that the soles will out last my feet.
    end of rant

000  ran  3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  12. boris bubbanov

Having guys like Tommy Rosamond are what makes assembling and playing Teles so much fun.

Lost track of all the stuff he did for free. Adding side markers so a Lefty neck could be used righty, recutting bridge pickup routs to accept a reverse slant bridge pickup - just so many things!

Brendan and Greggorios like this.
  13. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

How can being wrong feel so right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Brendan likes this.
  14. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

If you’re a big guy/gal then belly cuts are a bonus. Danny Gatton and Vince Gill didn’t/don't need one so I guess I don’t either.

15. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No thank you.

I like the freedom of movement a flat back provides.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Of course “comfort” is a personal opinion so pick which is more comfortable to you, but aesthetically I think it definitely depends on how “traditional” the finish is too...if you want a butterscotch blonde with a black guard, for example, I think any comfort cuts would look goofy.

Greggorios and myteleplaysjazz like this.
  17. Cnsky54

Cnsky54 TDPRI Member

I have four Teles, two with the cut and two without. I don’t find the ‘withouts’ uncomfortable. Maybe more original but don’t affect my playing so they stay.

18. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Don't have one, but I actually would prefer a belly cut. On the other hand front countour could be hard to swallow, even though being more ergonomic. It changes the appearance of the body too much for my eyes.

Belly cut stays hidden underneath.. well belly.

19. boris bubbanov

FMIC wanted a "modern" guitar when they came up with the American Standard/Series/Standard. They kept the basic shape and added things like a massive yellow pot metal bridge plate, sintered stainless steel block saddles, a dual action truss rod, a neck tilt mechanism, modern tuning machines, a flatter fretboard with oversized fretwire; made the neck strangely thin compared to traditional Esquires and Teles, modernized how the 3 way switch was wired, removed the base plate from the bridge pickup, etc., etc. In short they created an instrument very different from a 1953 Fender Telecaster.

The belly cut was just one more straw. I think the turning point, for whether the instrument is or is not a Tele, is elsewhere and also, FMIC decides what is a Telecaster. If they wanna take a Strat body and do all Telecaster bridge, pickups, routing and etc and call it a Telecaster, neither you nor I could stop them.

What I think is, the American Standard Telecaster is best described as an "American Standard Hardtail Strat". I mean, look at the long list of Strat parts that get used on USA Teles of this model and successor models like the American Professional. They dropped the official American Series Hardtail Strat in 2006 because they already had that product, just with a T body.

[​IMG]Fender calls this a "Telecaster", or did. I guess "Paranormal" is their new term. In summary the horse has already exited the barn.

20. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    myteleplaysjazz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.