1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Belly Cut Telly

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stringerman, Oct 20, 2020.

1. stringerman

stringerman TDPRI Member

Gotta admit to being a long time Strat player but became intrigued by the Player HH telecaster and the comfort of the belly cut. My rep Derek at Sweetwater worked a deal I couldn’t pass up. Splittable humbuckers sealed the deal. Now the dilemma, find a single coil telecaster with a belly cut. I realize that some traditionalists look upon this with a frown. But, being 83, I have learned not to concern myself with those who follow a narrow road.
    I would greatly appreciate suggestions for a used Telly with the BC that I might consider. I’m hoping to again get back to playing out as soon as it is safe. This Tidepool blue guitar is joy to play.
    Wishing you good health and safety.
    Jim

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. DB Mass

DB Mass TDPRI Member

I really want a Schecter PT-Special. I also want a Belly Cut, arm contour, plus I love the look of the Schecter open grain finish, and the bridge p-90.

Also the Godin Stadium HT in my opinion is beautiful, but I know lots of folks don't like the jack position, I do.

3. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I know the 2015 standard had the belly cut, I almost bought a NOS one a few years ago.

I’m with you on the belly cut, my Cabronita has it, super comfy and looks all slender too!

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

If all else fails get you a good rasp and make a belly cut. My first build was a telecaster and I did the belly and arm contour.

I did it all by hand with a big rasp, a small rasp, a few files, and some sandpaper. You'll have to deal with not having paint on that part, but like you said you're 83. I wouldn't mind so much if it meant comfort.

PaulNYC likes this.
  5. Steve Holt

6. stringerman

stringerman TDPRI Member

Steve Holt..That's a beauty. Sure looks good to me..:)

Steve Holt likes this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

If I made a belly cut in my partscaster to fit my belly, it'd be cut away down to the pickups!:(:oops::rolleyes:

8. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

My Elite Tele has a belly cut.
    20171122_091130.jpg

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Have Made in China copy, scale of neck is true to this guitar but it is proprietary and will not take a Fender neck. Three pups, heavy but plays and sounds wonderful, I'm 67 and scaling back my stack of musical instruments. Come with Gator hsc. Shoot me a message for details. Gonna list on Reverb soon. Black body, vintage tuners, maple neck, straight and true, but proprietary scale. Intonation is solid. Tele single neck, strat single middle, interesting voiced humbucker bridge.

Good luck.

10. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Look for a nice G&L Tele.

John O and StevesBoogie like this.
  11. Jake909

Jake909 TDPRI Member

My 2013 Fender American Standard Tele has the belly cut. I also have a 60th Anniversary Tele Special without the belly cut. I like them both. Thought I had to have a BC in a Tele. Thought I had to have a rosewood fretboard, too. Now I have a Tele without the BC and with a maple fretboard. And, yes, I'm doing just fine thank you.

12. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Steve Holt likes this.
  13. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

Well...I have a belly and I love the way my Strats fit up close so I my have to try this om my latest Nashville-is tele build.

14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My SX Furrian has a belly cut. Love it.

AE43E45B-D6DB-4F1E-AF88-57EDFD669B3F.jpeg

15. Steve Holt

That's just your run of the mill walnut caster with a strip of maple running through the middle! I was emulating the look of the Harrison rosewood Tele, how it has that strip of wood in the middle.

Since those pics were taken I made a new neck, replaced the pickguard, replaced the pickups, replaced the bridge, 4 way switch to a 3 way switch, and since the more recent picture was taken I flipped the control panel around for a reverse thing it's an ever mutating thing.

20190721_143212.jpg

20190722_074002.jpg 20190722_221011.jpg

16. julmust

julmust Tele-Meister

What neck is that? Beautiful maple! Abalone dot inlays, radius?

17. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

18. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Steve Holt likes this.
  19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Snap! I have exactly the same one.
    I believe all the solid-bodied American Ultra and the preceding Elite and Deluxe (not the current MIM Deluxe) models have/had a belly cut. Plus some other non-traditional features like 6-saddle bridges and noiseless pickups.

bcorig likes this.
  20. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

My Yamaha 402s is a killer T type ride with a belly cut, i love this thing and didn't pay much for it. Screenshot_2020-10-05-04-24-07.png

mally and KirbyBarba like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.