Belated NGD

KCJonez

Tele-Holic
I picked this T-Style up a few weeks ago. It's made by a local builder named Shyboy Guitars.
Have had it a few weeks and have to say that I am very pleased.

2-tone burst, 10" radius, Indian rosewood fingerboard, 2-pc ash body w/ nice grain, weighs 7lbs even, early 50's style pickups w/ flat poles by Pickup Wizard, compensated saddles, narrow/tall frets, 4 way switch, can be set for string through or as top loader.

Really thin, comfortable finish, with some nice checking. The neck has nice width to it but not too fat. The finish on the back of the neck is extremely smooth, no sticky residue at all. The bridge plate has the corners cut out so it doesn't bite into your hand at all and the saddles don't have any screw poking out, so again very comfortable. The pickups sound terrific. Not too aggressive but great bark on the bridge setting, glassy in the middle and clean and airy on the neck. The tone and volume controls have a lot of range and makes it very versatile.

I had been without a tele for about a year, but typically have one. My first guitar was a Tele Deluxe (?? I forget what they're called)...the Radiohead guitar with the Lace sensors and splittable bridge...I had that for about 14 years and then sold it and bought a 52 Hot Rod (w/ the mini humbucker) and had that for probably 14-15 years (time flies). This one is the best of the bunch, IMO. The Radiohead guitar was fine but tele-ish in body style only, the electronics made it sort of it's own thing, the Hotrod's neck finish was on the sticky side (despite over a decade of regular playing), didn't have that thin a finish, and I found the mini a bit dark and it dominated the bridge so I never found a good middle setting....I did love the bridge pickup, though.

But this one feels great, plays great, sounds great, and has a lot of range.
As a bonus, the builder's a good dude, too.

Anyone in Toronto looking for tele type guitar, I would highly recommend Shyboy.

Attachments

• Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 92

KCJonez

Tele-Holic
I saw online that charlie sexton has one.

The owner is also one half of the Shyboy Tex repair shop. They do guitar and amp work and sell gear on consignment. I take my guitars there for fret work and annual checkups. The other partner, Tex, apparently makes amps that are really well regarded but i’ve never played one. There are huge threads on them on TGP.

Attachments

• 33853C7E-A185-4BF8-8A4F-A00D18AE9856.jpeg
    33853C7E-A185-4BF8-8A4F-A00D18AE9856.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 21

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Interesting bridge, it’s like the righty bridge they turned into lefties in the 50/60’s