Belated NAD: Custom 6G2 build

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Hatfield92, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

943E3F33-1B9E-4763-A240-46F0BEA38185.jpeg ACCB366E-B7A5-4FE1-833E-68372BB57D8F.jpeg 66550D58-4645-4E3F-A3A9-0876EC2E2700.jpeg EAC95BDC-6EFF-4745-8EBA-D4FCD6EDAF1A.jpeg Better late than never, right? Back in May, I ordered this amp from Anthony at Sound of the Shoals. He’s calling the amps VintageTone now. Good communication, and he quoted me a build time of 10 weeks, which I expected would be a worst case scenario. Long story short, he ended up going a month over his estimate.

The amp seems to be pretty much exactly what I wanted, though. Great tone. The tremolo is off the charts great. So three- dimensional. If I have one complaint about the amp’s performance, it’d be that it doesn’t break up until the volume is pretty much maxed.

However, with the Eminence Maverick speaker, there’s a great deal more flexibility volume-wise. I’m an apartment dweller, and have only had the opportunity to really turn it loose once, during a three-hour rehearsal Thursday evening. So I’m just beginning to learn my way around the intricacies of this amp.

I can say this confidently, however. This amp is going to be a perfect tool for small to midsize gigs playing blues based classic rock guitar. Tone for days.

I’m not a techie, so I can’t really speak to the quality of the guts. But it’s running like a top so far. Seems to be well constructed.

One other thing worth mentioning: I’m running NOS RCA tubes in this bad boy, all the way down to the 5Y3.

Bottom line: I’d recommend this builder, so long as you’re fine with waiting for it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    uriah1, RoscoeElegante and idjster like this.
  2. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

How is the eminence maverick? Can you compare it to anything?

Hatfield92 likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Great amp! I'm sure you'll love it. Those look like high-quality components. I like those Jupiter caps. Here's my guess on why it breaks up late: for the tremolo to be off the charts great, the bias needs to be set lower on these amps that have the bias-vary tremolo. So while you might be accustomed to the sound and response of a tube amp biased around 70% max plate dissipation, this can't be biased that high without the tremolo creating distortion.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I don’t have experience with a wide variety of speakers. But I’m definitely happy with it. The tonal response is very full. I can’t tell that it colors the tone to any extent. Seems like exactly what I like in a speaker. I may consider getting one for my 79 DR in the future, simply because, as I’ve discussed here recently, the Hempdog in there now is SO efficient, it makes the DR too loud for most applications I’ll likely find myself in.

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Makes sense to me, prof. Thanks for the insight.

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Congrats -- that's a tidy build and a great circuit. As our amp-smart friend @theprofessor says, bias can be key in these. I don't see a bias-adjust pot? but OTOH many folks have found a single swap of the bias shunt resistor can bring 'em into line. In addition, if I remember right, some builders here find that B+ is a big factor in their breakup. Can you measure your bias and B+?

Thinking about my 6G2 and others here over the years, the other thing that might be described as 'late' breakup is the subtle nature of 6G2 overdrive -- they're pretty loud to start with, and they drift the outside of the curve, half on pavement, half on dirt, for a long way up the dial. Is there some of that going on?

Hatfield92 likes this.
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I’m sorry. I can’t. I don’t have the tools or the knowledge.

[QUOTE="King Fan, post: 9292686, member: 94377”]Thinking about my 6G2 and others here over the years, the other thing that might be described as 'late' breakup is the subtle nature of 6G2 overdrive -- they're pretty loud to start with, and they drift the outside of the curve, half on pavement, half on dirt, for a long way up the dial. Is there some of that going on?[/QUOTE]

With my strat, there was very little of that. It was warm and clear. I might get a little more of what you’re talking about with the buckers on my Firebird and my tele’s bridge PAF-style. I’m going to try it with the Gibson tomorrow evening at practice. The two sound really nice together at apartment levels and with my pedal board providing OD.

I appreciate the input. I’ve got no problem with it as it stands. I wasn’t looking for or expecting over the top breakup anyway. A little bit more of the gradual thing you’re talking about would definitely be ideal, but I can absolutely work with what I’ve got, I think. I’ll update further as I learn it a little better. The rehearsal tomorrow and gig Friday night will go a long way towards that.

8. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

How does it compare to your Excelsior? I've always heard that the Excelsior was based on the 6G2.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Most reading I did leading up to my purchase of the Excelsior claimed that it was more Valco/Supro-esque than anything Fender ever produced, and I’d say that’s pretty accurate. That said, they’re in the same ballpark, more or less. To me, at least, everything the Excelsior does the 6g2 does and does much, much better... which is exactly what I hoped.

My Excelsior is also 100% stock, so it doesn’t have a tone knob. The single tone control on the 6g2 covers a lot of sonic territory. I’d been a little concerned that the single tone control might be a limiting factor in my quest for sonic greatness. That concern was unwarranted.

As far as vibrato, the Excelsior’s is puny and shallow compared to the 6g2’s. If the Excelsior had a depth control, that might help. However, I honestly have no idea if they both have the same type of vibrato or tremolo or whatever.

The Excelsior’s stock speaker has a bad rap as being garbage. Granted, it’s not top shelf. But it’s a pretty good fit for the Excelsior, IMHO. Still, my 6G2 in the clear winner here too. The Maverick just makes it an even more versatile amp.

Head-to-head, it’s not even close. But you can’t beat what the Excelsior delivers for the price.

10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

That’s awesome. Glad to hear good things about the builder. I have definitely cruised his eBay/reverb page more than once.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  11. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

Outstanding, that gut shot is a thing of beauty.
    I've got a '64 transition white knob.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

That looks lovely... and I bet it sounds even better.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

So I gigged with the new amp Friday night. I’m really happy with it in a small gig setting. It’s exactly what I need, wattage wise.

During the third set, another local guitarist, a friend of the drummer, sat in for a handful of songs. Really talented player. I’m a second guitarist at heart anyway. And I — and the 6g2 — really shone then. He played the singer/rhythm player’s Tele through his DRRI setup, and he really dialed it in nicely. I was using my Firebird. The two tones really complimented each other nicely. Superb old school tube overdrive in action.

Tomorrow evening, I’m rehearsing with my other group, which is still coming together, but has much more talent and upside. It’ll be intriguing to hear it in that setting. I’m true second guitar in this project. The lead guy plays—loudly—through a Katana. He’s got a fatter, HB/Gibson-type tone. I suspect the kind of middy brownface sound with my Tele will make for a nice counterpoint.

It’s worth noting I’ve been using the Maverick set between minimum and maybe a third of the way up, so there’s still plenty of untapped (and, thus far, unnecessary) volume at my disposal. And, truly, I really don’t want to play any louder than we’ve been running. If we end up doing something outdoors, I can bring my way-too-loud 79 DR. Otherwise, this 6G2/Maverick combo really is ideal.

I’m certain I’ve read at least one other member post here about the very same circuit/speaker combination. If memory serves, it was his own build. If you’re reading this, do you have anything to add concerning the 6g2/Maverick pairing? My speaker isn’t even broken in yet, but it’s already giving me exactly what I was looking for.

The only real downside is that the breakup isn’t available to me at apartment levels. But for rehearsals and gigs, it’s the one I’ve been waiting for.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

So the 6G2 isn't as loud as a DR? I'd think they would be pretty similar output. Looks like a cool amp.

15. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

6G2 is 12 watts I believe, DR is 22 watts.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

My bad, I was thinking of the brown Deluxe 6G3. Which should be similar in volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.