Being the band leader

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Jun 21, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Seems like I always end up being the guy who coordinates most things for every band I’m in. Making sure the practice times work for everyone. Checking in to see if everyone is working on their parts or getting recorded parts to me. Coordinating booking shows and working on social media.

I wouldn’t say this has always been by choice, but it really seems like nothing gets done otherwise in almost every group I’ve been in over the years. And I’ve been assembling some members together for a group since moving to a new city and I can already see it happening again.

Are you that guy in your band? Do you prefer it that way, or does it just have to be that way?

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i usually have to write or organize all the material and recording stuff, but i usually have someone in the band with better connections and social grace than me for gigging, hahaha. been like that since high school for me. needless to say i've played a lot more shows in bands than solo. it seems weird to think about, but i'd probably get a booking agent if i ever drop something solo. nowadays in a lot of big cities at least (i don't think you need it out in most places), it seems like everyone and their mother just beyond the weekend warrior level has one, no matter how unknown they are.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Killing Floor and naveed211 like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I’m always the least cool/popular person in every band, so I can get us the show, everybody else has to do their part to actually have anyone watching us. Maybe that’s the most important job overall.

loopfinding likes this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

We have a joke in this country , in every band there is at least one school teacher , LOL , he takes care of paperwork , in our band its the drummer.

Other than that , we dont really work as efficient as we could , we just want to have fun. There are no ambitions , no " elbows " and I really dont care if we ever play a single gig again.

Im getting paid to be a leader every day , Im done with that after work....

naveed211 likes this.
  5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm in a band now that by default I'm the leader. We rehearse at my house, etc. etc. I hustled some gigs in the past, but I'm over it. We still GTG and play at my house by that's always a hassle...."who's in this week? , etc." I'm not hustling any more gigs cause I don't want to play out for the time being.

I answered an ad for a guy on CL who's setting up a band. I'll join them next week for a first meet and greet/jam. I'm enjoying watching this guy hustling and figuring it all out. I'm learning the stuff we agreed to jam on and that's all I need to do. I have my suspicions this won't get to the gig stage, so I don't need to have that conversation and just enjoy learning some new tunes.

Being "in charge" is hard but if you want to live the dream, you have to put in the effort sometimes. Some of the best players, need that leadership. Everyone has a role to fill.

naveed211 likes this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i've seen some of the socially blessed among me do much better than myself, in many cases some can barely play or did not play prior to whatever project they got attention for, and doing better than pros i know who have a moderate amount of hustle. i mean good for them, they're putting themselves out there...but outside of local show stuff, it's all about marketing.

naveed211 likes this.
  7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

In the band I played with for 35yrs we shared in P.A. equipment and setup, all would line up some gigs, but I was the one who lined up 3/4 of them. We still play 2-3 times a year, but all of us are involved with other projects.

About 10yrs ago I started playing for a singer; she takes care of all the booking and promo stuff. I take care of sound equipment. It's so nice having some one else keep up social media stuff and line up gigs:D

naveed211 likes this.
  8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I am the guy who asks the questions and motivates toward better playing/arrangements. I have no real power.
    The leader in the outfit I play with is a paid WL. Aparrently hasn’t practiced anysubstantial since I’ve known him. Only player that draws a weekly $.
    Picks the sappy sad songs. Picks who is in “the band” as he calls it. I’m jaded and disgruntled but its the only nearby gig I can keep the tools sharp as of current conditions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.