Beginning a new build: A Jazzy T-style

ToujoursLire

TDPRI Member
My first attempt at a faux pickup ring looked pretty--but had a split that I new would be exacerbated if I tried to use it.
IMG_4688.jpeg

So I thought I'd try two things. I reused the template, but didn't route around its outside. Instead, used the table saw to trim -- and made both the sides and top & bottom a bit wider. I also made one out of the other piece of marbled ebony bridge material I had, and one out of some scrap walnut. Sanded to reduce thickness, sanded, sanded, sanded, and then polyx on the ebony and an espresso-coloured stain on the walnut.
IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
the pup ring will never last like that in a singlwe ply... You can laminate two layers at 90 degrees to each other.. or what I do is laminate a veneer of the correct wood onto a piece of 1/16 in thick garolite (bakelite).. that momma will out last the rest of the guitar.

r

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
I haven't made veneer pickup rings but I do make thin wood truss rod covers. If I want an edge I'll laminate a piece of maple or light fiber on the back with the grain running cross wise, if I don't want the line I'll put some surgical gauze tape on the back and flood it with water thin CA

Edit to add, I don't have a picture of a truss rod cover with the gauze tape but I do put it in other areas where I worry about thin wood splitting. One of the thumbnails shows it on the inside of a guitar with a very thin top and f-holes, a common place for splits. Having the reinforcement makes it less likely to break while cutting it.

Attachments

• IMG_6195.JPG
    IMG_6195.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ToujoursLire

TDPRI Member
the pup ring will never last like that in a singlwe ply... You can laminate two layers at 90 degrees to each other.. or what I do is laminate a veneer of the correct wood onto a piece of 1/16 in thick garolite (bakelite).. that momma will out last the rest of the guitar.

r
I was being hopeful for it mostly because it really is fake--it's going to go around the route, but the neck p90 has small dog ears at its base that need to be hidden. (The intent is also to hide a mishap in the routing on the bass side.)
IMG_4684.jpeg

So given that it won't bear any weight, should I still be worried?

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
I was being hopeful for it mostly because it really is fake--it's going to go around the route, but the neck p90 has small dog ears at its base that need to be hidden. (The intent is also to hide a mishap in the routing on the bass side.)

So given that it won't bear any weight, should I still be worried?

What I have found with the truss rod covers it they will split at the mounting holes

ToujoursLire

TDPRI Member
What I have found with the truss rod covers it they will split at the mounting holes
Thank you so much to you and @Ronkirn for the wisdom!!! (Both of you have played a a bigger role than I can detail in helping me avoid even more mistakes through this build; I'm so glad not just for your passion for building, but your generosity in helping others come to love it, too!)

ToujoursLire

TDPRI Member
A guitar-shaped object! Some progress, now that the finish is cured. We installed the string ferrules and the tuning machines, and attached the neck.
We repeatedly attempted efforts at a pickup ring for the neck before deciding it was too ruddy finicky, and just went for the pickguard.
C0A2B17C-E8A7-46BD-81AF-55082EE3882E.jpeg

I need to solder the pickups and the jack to the control plate that’s otherwise ready to go; I also need to install the string trees and strap buttons. And then on to setup… it’s getting close!

ToujoursLire

TDPRI Member
Alrighty--back from the luthier, who did the final set-up. And now, to spend time getting to know it. I'm in love with the low-wind neck P90 (voiced to be like a Charlie Christian). I'm hugely thankful to Potvin Guitars for the template, to MJS Custom Pickups for the pickups, and to my luthier Daniel at Cithara Guitars here in Hamilton who made the neck and did the set-up.
IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg