Beginner's Mistake(s); Trying to Learn Here......

Mr. Neutron

Tele-Meister
It's given me a great respect for routers, Freeman!!
It also makes me feel grateful for my little Ridgid ROSS as well, ha ha.

And before I forget, many, MANY thanks to all that have resonded here! You folks are so appreciated. As a side note, it amazes me how accomodating, polite, and helpful everyone here is. I'm a member of a website for dirt bikes, and while most folks there come across in text as decent there are enough folks there that come across as very condescending and "un-helpful. Always gonna be a few like like that, I guess, but it helps me to appreciate y'all here. Thank You!

And I'll offer another apology for the inevitable future questions I'll have as I go on! The neck should be a challenge, I reckon........

Mr. Neutron

Tele-Meister
It's given me a great respect for routers, Freeman!!
It also makes me feel grateful for my little Ridgid ROSS as well, ha ha.

And before I forget, many, MANY thanks to all that have responded here! You folks are so appreciated. As a side note, it amazes me how accommodating, polite, and helpful everyone here is. I'm a member of a website for dirt bikes, and while most folks there come across in text as decent there are enough folks there that come across as very condescending and "un-helpful. Always gonna be a few like like that, I guess, but it helps me to appreciate y'all here.

And I'll offer another apology for the inevitable future questions I'll have as I go on! The neck should be a challenge, I reckon.

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Neut, the one thing I have learned in my short time building these things is just how really amazing the lutherie community is. People share their methods, give seminars, teach those of use who, while we will never be their competitor still want to do the things they do. You live in one of the centers of modern lutherie, Portland has some very fine builders of all genres of guitars. The Guild is headquartered in Tacoma and every builder regardless of level should attend their convention. I have literally sat at the feet of some of the finest builders in the world as they share their secrets.

And asking questions is how we all learn.

Bob J

Tele-Holic
Mr. Neutron

I’m In PDX And am a beginning builder, but have made a couple necks. PM me if you’d like to discuss with a total amateur over a beer!

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I said climb cutting is controversial and I mostly only use it routing thin woods like the top and back of an acoustic guitar. When I'm routing a solid hunk of wood I either use my router table or clamp the wood to the bench and take very small cuts. Routers scare the hell out of me.
Routers can be terrifying. I'm always super happy when I've finished using mine and nothing went wrong and I've still got all my fingers.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
The lesson here is that in many cases, particularly with open grain woods and softwoods, one cannot just flush trim by going all the way around the workpiece. The whole process has to be broken down so that the tooling rotation direction isn't biting into the wood "uphill" which can grab chunks. This is easiest when one uses tooling that has both top and bottom bearing so you can flip the workpiece to insure every short cut is in the best direction to avoid tear-out.

Or, as has been suggested, sand to the line using an oscillating spindle/belt sander to avoid almost all risk of tearout.
This ∆∆∆, plus 1000 on a spindle sander. I have never edge routed a body in 30+ years. I have a 1/4" shorter right forefinger as reason enough. And oh, my first spindle sander was homemade. 220V 2 1/2 hp and could throw a body 30' (4 witnesses lol). And as for the people here, I have always found the TDPRI the finest people period 😉

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I dunno why this fairly recent thread didn't show up when I did my "SEARCH" earlier. Guess I didn't use the right combination of words.......

This thread seems to be full of great help. Will spend some quality time reading it more thoroughly......

Also, I'm kinda thinking that I left way too much excess on there for the router to remove, even after making 3 passes around the body. I do have a small Ryobi band saw, and probably should have tried to cut "a bit closer to the line" with that before using the router.
I used a belt sander, and I'm going to have to sand the cutaway by hand with mine😢

Mr. Neutron

Tele-Meister
And as for the people here, I have always found the TDPRI the finest people period 😉

I can second that, x 1000! Lotsa great help here, and it's very much appreciated.

My progress has sorta "stalled" for awhile. Been busy with "the things of life" (house paint prep, helping an uncle who just had back surgery, & such). I did manage to get my neck blank down to around .775"/19.7mm, but with a convex bow in the middle up to .820"/20.8mm in thickness. My previously reliable & accurate router sled has me bumfuzzled, and running for ebay & Amazon to build one like I've wanted to for over a year. I'd like to build one with the "X" rails and bearings similar to George's ( @old wrench ), Eric's ( @eallen ), and others have built. Hopefully, it'll net me a body or neck that's flat & smooth within .005" or less in thickness. Something I'd feel a tiny bit better about gluing a fretboard to. We'll see......

There is some good news about the maple wood I was given that I'm working with. I've managed to find a chunk that I *think* I can dodge all the bug tunnels and possibly make a neck. At least a "practice" neck. Now, I most likely will make many mistakes while doing this neck, as it's my first one. I'm mentally prepared to accept that. I think what would "bug" me the most is if it actually turned out to be something half decent save for the bug tunnels, but again, that probably won't be a worry...... :)

I'm also waiting for tools to get to me. I suppose I could rant for awhile about the USPS not scanning and updating their tracking files, but not sure that's gonna do me any good. :rolleyes:

Thanks All!
Jimmie

Last edited: