Beginner with 7 guitars :(

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Seattlesurfer, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

how did he hand you the money?

2. lepaulo

lepaulo TDPRI Member

If you're on the internet most days, I can recommend Fender Play and Justinguitars. The content is well structured, very good teachers and the lessons slowly ramp up skills in many different areas that will hold you in good stead including finger style, blues and basic theory.

Watching 1-2 lessons in intermediate/advanced skills is enough to get me to pick up the guitar and learn something new.

Gary135r and Tall-Fir like this.
  3. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Holic

why?

KATT and Tall-Fir like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/case-closed-storage-tips-to-save-your-guitars

If you've ever set a guitar aside for a few days or weeks, you probably notice the strings "pitch up". Basically, when you are playing a guitar every few days/weeks, you are retuning it regularly. This prevents continued "pitching up" and sitting at that pitched up state. If you tune down 1/2 step, the guitar won't likely "pitch up" more than to roughly standard pitch while tuning. Just avoids unnecessary neck issues.

Tall-Fir and Seattlesurfer like this.
  5. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Another way to get practice is play with real people. You can only learn so much from YouTubing, it definitely helps.

Real people will help motivate to keep learning. Meet up every week and go over a few songs or riffs you learned the previous week.

Im not going out gigging but for the last 8 years consistently my buddies come over every Friday night. I’m no pro but each one of us improved big time. Just in playing technique, timing, rhythm, solos.

We can pound out a good 30 songs just from noodling riffs with friends having a few beers and gear talking years ago.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

That Fender article is pretty weak. Guitars don’t universally pitch up in storage. Whoever wrote it didn’t control humidity and then assumed because they saw a pitch up that it universally applies to everyone.

Laren and Tall-Fir like this.
  7. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Holic

What is this “pitch up” you speak of?

KATT and Tall-Fir like this.
  8. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I've never ever done that. Oodles of guitars, no problems.

KATT likes this.
  9. charliebrown51

charliebrown51 TDPRI Member

As a former owner of over a dozen assorted guitars, 6 amps, and countless effect pedals, I now own ONE acoustic, ONE bass, THREE electrics... 1 Les Paul, 1 Tele, One Strat. I'm much happier, play more, I have zero guilt from knowing there are "lonely" guitars sitting around being ignored.

I'd like to refer you to one of my favorite YouTube Channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OAMxnvhTyc3rjgpY6u8cA

You're welcome.

10. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I had an agent at one time who hardly played at all but had a large collection, mostly vintage Gretsch, vintage and CS Fender and Gibson Historics. It occurred to me then that I was probably in the wrong end of this business!

Jef and Tall-Fir like this.
  11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

More Mel Bay, less eBay. Seriously, I sucked at guitar for at least two, three years. But I get better every day. Now that I have been playing for 40 years, I don't care that I suck at some things on guitar. Focus on your strengths and keep playing, especially with other people.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I think we all start ‘needing’ more than one guitar. ‘Must have a Strat, a Tele will broaden my scope, gotta have something with humbuckers, an acoustic would be nice, getting into finger style, need a nylon string and, oh, a 12 string would be soooo cool’. Eventually you hit tge ‘why the ..... do I need all these guitars, I’ll keep the first one I bought for sentimental reasons, ditch the rest and invest in one really good XYZ’. Hoppy with your decision until ‘if I just get one more, a realy goid abc, it will broaden my scope.........................The second wave of GAS is never ending!

Digital Larry, SuprHtr and Tall-Fir like this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Whilst I agree about a different guitar up to a point, when I get a guitar that I perceive to be better, my playing improves purely because I think it’s easier to play and the excitement of a new instrument means I pick it up and play it more. The effect can last from a few days to months depending on circumstances. Mind you, the amount of ‘better’ guitars I’ve had over the years I should be p*****g all over Vince Gill by now, clearly a dubious theory!

Tall-Fir likes this.
  14. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex NEW MEMBER!

Ha ha, well said!

Others have said it: acquiring guitars isn't the same as acquiring the skills to play them.

Hang in there and practice! You can do it.

Peace

Rex

Treehouse likes this.
  15. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My last semester as an undergrad I was paying my bills in a working band and was down to one guitar: a ’79 Gibson SG. The singer )who can be seen on QVC nowadays ) likes Heart and she wanted to cover “Barracuda”: so on my only guitar I installed a then-popular Kahler locking-tuner vibrato bridge to accomplish the tell-tale whammy wiggle and dive bomb guitar effects at the beginning of that song... THEN there was enough $$$ to get a second for back-up (MIJ Contempory Strat with its own locking tuner system). I still have the now-vintage SG with its apparently “now vintage” whammy bar.

Mostly self taught, I only ever had a couple of guitars, an amp or two and a bass (just in case) to get into bands and start playing gigs. It’s been over 30 years since I was down to that lone SG; at the time of the ’Rona shutdown, I was in four working projects and so many guitars that I have to stop and count (um, the right tool for the job).

Echoing others (and quoting B B King:“Play what you want to hear”), introduce some purpose behind your playing. No matter how grueling, get a metronome, pick a song you want to hear yourself play and learn it until you know it. Then repeat. After a dozen are under your belt, look for a band and begin to learn from other players and, well, what other people want to hear.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that collecting guitars can be a completely separate hobby from playing them. Nothing wrong with either, in my opinion. I owned about 5 electrics when I could barely play. In fact, I bought my first electric guitar as a teenager with no intention of ever playing it, I just wanted to decorate my room with it.

61fury likes this.
  17. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

The best advice I heard when I started out was to make sure you have a guitar that whenever you look at it (kept in sight, out of a case) you want to pick it up and play it. For me that was a CV50s Tele, instead of a charity shop acoustic I'd started on. If having 7 guitars means you always have one you want to pick up and play, that's great. The only problem I can see is the time you spent looking for those guitars, rather than playing the ones you had. If you can stop looking at new ones (or other new gear) for those 3 months I suspect that will make a bigger difference than putting away stuff you already have, if it helps inspire you to play. I also have 7 now, hanging on the walls, because I love guitars. I did some buying/trades during the lockdown to make sure every one is inspiring to me. And my playing time has gone up.

M2roadwarrior and Seattlesurfer like this.
  18. RoadShow

RoadShow TDPRI Member

It's great reading these posts and thinking I've got a lot of company.

In 1966 when I was 10 the kid next door was in a high school band and taught me the simple song "Hungry". Actually got a guitar in 71 and tinkered occasionally for 4 years until being confused how it all worked I put it away. Sure I learned a few chords and simple solos I was shown and memorized but didn't understand how it all worked. In 1977 I started lessons with a guy where I would bring in an album and he would teach me the song. At the time I thought it was a huge step only to realize it was a baby step. I continued to learn songs the best I could but still it took forever to get even close to figuring out any solo. Not only did I still not understand scale layout on the fret board but also couldn't audibly keep up with the note speed/tempo. I had a Sankyo cassette deck with a mechanical memory and beat that thing going Play-Reverse-Play... I was just brutal on that deck but it held together. I hung it all up in 1995 and stuck with building cars and rebuilding pinball machines and raising a family. Sold off everything except the 1979 Strat my wife had bought me for Christmas in 1979.

Fast forward to 5 years ago, I started again, only 2 things changed. One, I found this site https://musicmotivated.com/ and studied and practiced just the diatonic and pentatonic scales and FINALLY understood how that quickly allowed me to understand where the solo was even going. A major mental step but I know it was just another baby step. The second was I bought Song Surgeon and that was huge in allowing me to slow down songs and create loops to practice. With just those 2 things it became a lot of fun and I just love figuring everything out. For example, Skynyrd - That Smell, one of my favorite songs. I've nailed the middle solo, but at 85% speed. Good enough for this guy, I'll speed it up as I go. Along the 5 years I've also gone from 1 Strat to 12 guitars total and several tube amps although I've sold a couple of the guitars and amps. I guess at 64 with the kids gone and house paid off I got a little nuts with some spending cash.;)

Anyway, my conclusion is not many of us get all that good, but we still love it and have a lot of fun!! Keeps the old brain ticking as well...

19. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Always good to see Andres mentioned

20. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I've been playing for 50 years...and still find stuff to work on...guitars will come and go that's the fun of it...joining this forum is a step in the right direction

Gary135r likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.