Beginner Tube Amp Suggestions

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Go to your local purveyor of guitar amps on a weekday with your guitar and try a few. Happy Hunting!
In the Pre-Internet days there were very few ways to learn about amp models:
Guitar Player Magazine
Catalogs
Try friends’/relatives’/bandmates’ amps
Go to local guitar shops and try out every used or new amp that strikes your fancy

“Try before you buy” is always the best way to find the tone you’re looking for. Then it’s just a matter of doing some research to see how reliable/repairable it is.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

I know I asked about this in another Monoprice 5-watt thread,
but does your Tone knob turned all the way UP, add a pretty big Treble/edge jump?
Almost like at this rotation, the Tone control is out of the circuit?

Mine is like that, no big deal, now that I know how it operates.
This 'feature' sounds great ( in a raw/raunchy way) when the amp Volume is also cranked.

This amp goes from 'Clear and detailed, with some twang', to a 'Cherry Bomb!'

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Not to derail the thread, but are there still pawn shops worth visiting for guitar gear?

I stopped trying after too many disappointing trips. Maybe my tastes became too refined?

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I know I asked about this in another Monoprice 5-watt thread,
but does your Tone knob turned all the way UP, add a pretty big Treble/edge jump?
Almost like at this rotation, the Tone control is out of the circuit?

Mine is like that, no big deal, now that I know how it operates.
This 'feature' sounds great ( in a raw/raunchy way) when the amp Volume is also cranked.

This amp goes from 'Clear and detailed, with some twang', to a 'Cherry Bomb!'
Yes...mine is like this.

SBClose

Tele-Meister
Another vote for MonoPrice.
For the sake of amusement, I wanted to change the name on the front of my MonoPrice 15w to "Stage Fright" but never got around to it. I gave it away recently in prep for a cross country move, I have 2 other tube amps and figured I could get another one cheap enough if the need arises.

MikeBee

TDPRI Member
Fender Vibro Champ XD. A few great voicings, good sounding effects, 5 amp and plenty loud.
Vox AC10, wonderful reverb and real shimmery sound.
I put the Fender Champion 40 away after getting first tube amp.

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
Another vote for MonoPrice.
For the sake of amusement, I wanted to change the name on the front of my MonoPrice 15w to "Stage Fright" but never got around to it. I gave it away recently in prep for a cross country move, I have 2 other tube amps and figured I could get another one cheap enough if the need arises.
These have been the only amps I've gigged with for the last almost 5 years. Don't let anybody tell you these are toys.
Hint. If you use it alot in a gig setting you are going to need to replace those el84s about 3 times a year. It's the vibration from the speaker that rattles them to death. Buy a stash of JJ el84s now while you can get them for under $15 each. A year ago it was $20 a pair.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
These have been the only amps I've gigged with for the last almost 5 years. Don't let anybody tell you these are toys.
Hint. If you use it alot in a gig setting you are going to need to replace those el84s about 3 times a year. It's the vibration from the speaker that rattles them to death. Buy a stash of JJ el84s now while you can get them for under $15 each. A year ago it was $20 a pair.
IMO, there is no el84 more robust than the Soviet 6P14P-EV tube. Made for weapons of war. I had a pair give me over 2000 hours of abuse before one of them developed a leak. The other tested ‘Good’ on a Hickok tester. I have a couple pairs that will last me the rest of my playing life. Kiev vendors on eBay sell them for about USD$20 each and could surely use the business.

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
IMO, there is no el84 more robust than the Soviet 6P14P-EV tube. Made for weapons of war. I had a pair give me over 2000 hours of abuse before one of them developed a leak. The other tested ‘Good’ on a Hickok tester. I have a couple pairs that will last me the rest of my playing life. Kiev vendors on eBay sell them for about USD$20 each and could surely use the business.
I have a couple of pairs of 6P14P-EVs. I tried a set and didn't really love the sound. It wasn't bad but I preferred the JJs so I put them back in.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a couple of pairs of 6P14P-EVs. I tried a set and didn't really love the sound. It wasn't bad but I preferred the JJs so I put them back in.
Horses for courses. I play through headphones, and can’t hear a lick of difference, save for some volume and breakup differences, which I end up tweaking to my preferences.

rave

Tele-Holic
Thanks to everyone that provided SPECIFIC suggestions. I'll begin my research on the following models: Pro Jr, Blues Jr (most likely used), AC4, AC10, and VHT6.

I think I've gotten all the valuable info I'm going to get out of this post now. It seems to be devolving into pointless arguing and chest-puffing. I've gotten a lot of great information and I genuinely appreciate it all.
I had the little Bugera 5 Watt amp and it had a decent tone with the ability to plug it into a cabinet. Note the headphone jack did not have cab sim and didnt sound good for practicing with headphones. Good luck