Beginner Tube Amp Suggestions

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Is your goal to learn how to play guitar or tweak controls until you find the ultimate tone? If you’re that easily distracted by options, perhaps you’re better off learning on an acoustic until you feel you’re past the beginner phase? (I’m being serious)

Do you know all the options available simply tube rolling? Speaker swaps? Easy circuit mods? If you don’t know about all these distractions from simply playing guitar, just ask us. We all have tales to tell.
Dude, he said he wants a tube amp.:lol:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I know this is maybe an old-fashioned suggestion, but OP could learn how to play first, on an acoustic, like many of us did.
Just discover the beauty of ( eventually) playing nice clear chords, runs, scales - whatever. Not have to worry about volume, or what kind of distortion or effects to use. Just good guitar playing.

OP likes blues? You can play great blues ( any level ) on an acoustic,
Just an idea

LuckyPenny

TDPRI Member
Yeah, I’m not buying another guitar. I just bought a Player Tele and that’s what spoke to me after countless trips to the shop. It’s the arctic white with pau ferro and just looks killer to me. I envision it with some patina and a kick ass worn leather strap and it just makes me want to pick it up and play.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I wouldn't recommend a modeling amp to a beginner. Too many options can hinder its use. Especially by someone who isn't familiar with all of those options and how they work, etc... It's WAYYYYYY simpler to adjust a couple of knobs on a tube amp.
I'm a beginner, for the last three plus years. I may never be more proficient than a beginner, since I started learning to play a guitar at age 60. I have a Monoprice 15 watt and a first generation Boss Katana 50 watt. Neither is intimidating. Just because the Katana is a modeling amp doesn't mean you have to use all of its bells and whistles. It has simple controls and you don't have to hook it to your laptop to maker it work for you. It's also pre-loaded with a bunch of pedal effects that you can play with when you are ready, which saves a bunch of money spent on the pedal learning curve. The OP may be adamant about wanting a tube amp, but having tried both options, I think the Katana is a better deal.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Just do the right thing. There are plenty of 100watt 2×12" solid state amps available in the 2-$400 range that are absolutely killer. You want to play quietly that's what they make volume knobs for. Both the amps and guitar have them. If you sound like crap crank it up to 11 and you can't hear anyone complaining. Be a man, go big.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a beginner, for the last three plus years. I may never be more proficient than a beginner, since I started learning to play a guitar at age 60. I have a Monoprice 15 watt and a first generation Boss Katana 50 watt. Neither is intimidating. Just because the Katana is a modeling amp doesn't mean you have to use all of its bells and whistles. It has simple controls and you don't have to hook it to your laptop to maker it work for you. It's also pre-loaded with a bunch of pedal effects that you can play with when you are ready, which saves a bunch of money spent on the pedal learning curve. The OP may be adamant about wanting a tube amp, but having tried both options, I think the Katana is a better deal.
Like you I am a beginner for the past 57 years. I have finally advanced to the point where people say "please stop it".
It doesn't really matter what amp I use.

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
Some people seem determined the guy's going to get a modeller...:rolleyes:

So as I said before, a Vox AC4. Or a Blackstar HT5R, or Marshall DSL5W.

The Vox and the Blackstar have attenuators built in, and the Blackstar has headphones out, if that's important. The Marshall's got lots of lovely knobs to twiddle, if you must.

All are 5W max or less. You don't need more, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere you're not going into overdrive :)

The AC4 I keep banging on about is what I use as a 'bedroom' amp. It sounds OK at low volume.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Just do the right thing. There are plenty of 100watt 2×12" solid state amps available in the 2-$400 range that are absolutely killer. You want to play quietly that's what they make volume knobs for. Both the amps and guitar have them. If you sound like crap crank it up to 11 and you can't hear anyone complaining. Be a man, go big.
He wants a tube amp.

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Guys, stop suggesting things the OP said he doesn't want.

There are lots of great, simple tube amps that will sound good and let you focus on playing. The reason, I suggested the Special 6, beyond its reliability, is that it is one volume, one tone. There are other controls (high/low power, boost switch), but there's no reason to fool with them if you don't want. The Special 6 is essentially a Fender-type amp based on the old-school Tweed Champ. It's great for blues and country. You'd need a few pedals to get things like OD, Reverb, compression, etc., but that's up to you.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Says who?

So much presumption on a dude none of us knows.

Because I've seen so many people do the same thing, both online and in person, including myself.

My second amp, bought in 1988, was a '64 Champ. I couldn't use it in the apartment I was living in at the time because neighbors complained about it being too loud. So, I bought a Rockman so that I could use headphones.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Because I've seen so many people do the same thing, both online and in person, including myself.

My second amp, bought in 1988, was a '64 Champ. I couldn't use it in the apartment I was living in at the time because neighbors complained about it being too loud. So, I bought a Rockman so that I could use headphones.
Your experience isn’t universal.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Your experience isn’t universal.

unicornmoreyouknow0.gif

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
6 months later....

"I want a good modeling amp because I want these tones I can't get with the tube amp I bought. Also, my wife is complaining that I'm playing too loud so I need to use headphones."
Well that's his decision to make, 6 months down the line.

Right now he wants a *eckin' valve amp. When I started playing, I wanted a *eckin' valve amp too because modellers didn't exist and SS amps were a bit crap. Eventually I bought a third or fourth-hand AC30 head and cab.

Now that was loud.