Beginner Rig

TBOT

TDPRI Member
Getting my 13 year old a beginner rig.
They have passed the test of lessons for 6 months on an acoustic. They’ve got the bug. Cool!

They’re ready for an electric and Christmas is coming. Now, they are free to use any of my gear whenever, as long as they do so carefully. But, I think it’s important to have your own stuff even if Dad has similar, albeit more expensive stuff.

I feel tempted to go with a modeler, as this is a young person who might appreciate the bells and whistles. But the kid is kind of old school / old soul.

Nothing against modelers. I love my THR5.
But, I decided I want this kid to experience the simplicity of an analog amp with simple controls to explore electric playing.

So after much deliberation, I think I will go with an Orange Crush 20RT (Orange color, even though I love the black ones) and a Squier Hardtail Bullet Strat in Fiesta Red.
Kid will flip for those colors.

I look forward to hearing Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana riffs echoing through the house in the same way that Deep Purple and Led Zep riffs echoed through my childhood home.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
At least you gave him a long test drive period on the acoustic. I got a Fender Duosonic (a used '93 model) and a Crate amp for my son when he was 12. He tried to play it a few days and went back to video games.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I gave my grandson a Squire Stratocaster and a Crate amp for his 13th birthhday. He's 24 now, owns three guitars, both acoustic and electric and has become quite the finger picker. He's also added keyboards and the Trombone to his musical skills.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Highly recommend a champion 20 or 40. They’re inexpensive, old school charm with enough models and FX to play with. I use mine (20) daily.

Edit: I’ve only played the crush bass amps but they’re good, I think thatd be a fine choice. I also have the bullet Tele and it’s excellent!

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Good idea getting a fixed bridge. My daughter started out with a Ibanez AS53 and a Fender FM 25 DSP. About $220 in careful Craigslist buys.