Beginner Guitar for 6 Year-old?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BuckNekkid, Nov 25, 2019.

1. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

You guys have convinced me! At a mere US$14.99 for the uke, pick, student book and play-along CD, I think it's a winner. If she tosses it, or simply ignores it, I'm only out a pittance. Thanks! I'm heading over to buy one today!

Switchy likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Show her some Grace Vanderwaal youtubes.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I've been rebuilding cheapo First Act little kid guitars.

The two suck parts are the cheap tuners and the steel strings. They're built like little classical guitars so the stock strings make no sense.

I replace the junk stock tuners with sealed Gotohs. I string 'em up with low buck classical guitar strings.

Once they settle in they stay in tune astonishingly well. I'm tempted to keep one as a travel guitar.

beagle and JayFreddy like this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got my grand son the Squire MiniStrat. There apparently isn't a MiniTele. He's a small 8.

beagle likes this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

@BuckNekkid
    That is not encouraging to me, and is in fact something I would have discouraged. A 15$ uke is very likely to be discouraging.

And though I agree with the other replies here, and think in some cases the mini electrics might be the best option- it depends on the individual and their personal interest. Beware though that many of those are also below the playability threshold.

It can also be critical to assess other aspects of the situation.
    Only partially in defense of my uke suggestion, because the following applies no matter the instrument chosen-
    A few years ago a neighborhood family approached me about advise, and I helped them find a decent student uke. Kala brand was the decision IIRC.
    The motivation? Our local elementary school kids have a uke club. They gather after school once a week and practice/play together, teach each other and generally have some fun. They have maintained a significant membership for some time, with modest guidance from a music teacher.
    The youngster in question has long since moved on to high school and still carries that uke everywhere and treasures it like a best friend. She reminds and thanks me for the help every time we cross paths.

I agree about discovering the individuals interest and what kind of peer interests and involvement might be in play. They will not thrive and maintain interest alone.
    Individual needs and decisions.

6. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I'll also suggest a nylon string guitar is easier on the fingers than either. My son started on that, then went to acoustic. He doesn't like the sound of an electric very much.

7. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I am currently giving a six-year-old girl guitar lessons, and it's going reasonably well, but the Baby Taylor her dad bought for her has kinda high action. This is impeding her ability to form chords and make them sound clear. I'm going to recommend he get her a small electric that is easier to play. You can get an Epi LP Jr. for probably $79.00, that's what I started my son on.

I agree with posters above, don't get a Uke if the goal is guitar. I also wouldn't recommend a classical (nylon string) guitar as the neck is so much wider.

8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I had a 4 year old student who did well with a Baby Taylor. But my 3 year old grand daughter prefers a Squier Mustang for slide guitar.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

‘59 LP burst...

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Bought my daughter one of these little (36") J. Reynolds acoustics. Great little guitars for the money. They even have a truss rod and a compensated bridge. Good color options that kids like, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L8IHR8/?tag=tdpri-20

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.