1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

beginner grounding question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rlscherer, May 30, 2012.

1. rlscherer

rlscherer TDPRI Member

Hey,

I'm building a two-humbucker tele (well, tele-shaped guitar) with an American standard flat mount bridge (not a traditional tele bridge). I'm using one volume, one tone and a three-way toggle.

Both humbuckers have vintage two wire connectors. I was wondering if I need to run a ground wire to the bottom of the bridge, and if so, how that should go (back of the tone pot?).

Any help is appreciated!

thanks!
    RLS

2. joseito

joseito TDPRI Member

Yes, you must run a ground wire to the bridge, it can run from the back of the tone or the volume, it usually comes from the tone pot just because is closer to the bridge, but it makes no difference, as long as everything is grounded properly...

Good luck!!

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Yes for this reason.

By grounding the bridge and thus the strings you introduce your own body as an additional shield to reduce extraneous noise whenever you are in contact with the bridge/strings. If you don't ground the bridge then you need to go to significant lengths to ensure that the circuitry of the guitar is totally shielded via grounded foil,conductive cavity paint etc.

4. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

It is better to have all you grounds go to one point, in a star like manner. as this helps to reduce hum.
    Lik Joseito said it does not have to be the tone pot, but it is best to use one central point.

5. rlscherer

rlscherer TDPRI Member

Thanks!

6. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

7. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

I bought an 85 MIJ custom tele, and it had no ground to the bridge. I attached it to the pickup screw, which I assume contacts the bridge enough to make that connection? Any thoughts?

8. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

It should work but it doesn´t hurt to check for continuity between for example bridge and output jack with a multimeter

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're right, and that's also the reason you don't really need a ground wire to a (standard) Telecaster bridge. You have 3 metallic screws that make "forced" contact (because of the pickup height springs or rubber tube with the bridge, and are threaded into the bottom plate of the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup (again, standard) has a wire running from it to the "ground" lead of the pickup. Extra ground wire to the bridge probably won't hurt anything, but you don't really need it, unless you have a nonstandard set up in some way.

10. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

when in doubt
    ground EVERYTHING!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.