Beginner DAW recomendations

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Blinky, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    I want to move from recording myself at home on my webcam to using a program that I can record and add tracks. This is entirely just for fun so I don't want to go crazy with money.

My computer is a 64 bit Win7 with an Intel i5 processor and 8 gig of ram.

My interface is a Tascam US-144mkll

So far I have tried Albeton Live but it is really clunky
    Reaper but it just will not work with my interface. Have spent hours trying everything but just a no go.

Mixcraft6 Working great, lets me use ASIO with my interface. Confused about whether it would be worth getting the pro for almost double the cost. Some help here would be great.

Can you recommend some other choices? The interface came with a small version of cubase but I have not tried it yet.

Money is a factor.

2. redtele

redtele TDPRI Member

Try the free download version of Presonus Studio One. There are tons of videos to help you get started. I tried a lot of DAWs like Ableton and Reaper but this one was the easiest to get a good sound with. They make good affordable interfaces as well that include the software 'Artist' version with some drum loops etc

3. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Before giving up on Reaper, have you taken your problem to the excellent user forum?

If the Tascam really won't work for some reason, you could pick up something that is compatible second hand for pretty cheap (I'd spend my money on that rather than an upgrade to Mixcraft).

I love Reaper and have used it for a few years now.

4. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

Haven't heard of Presonus so will look that one up, thanks redtele

Ya, I have read through all I could find on the Tascam at the Reaper forum, I suspect it might be something with the 64 bit platform. You guys sure seem to love Reaper so I will try figuring it out some more. Thanks MrTwang

5. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

Downloaded Presonus Studio Free and got it working with the old Tascam. So thanks redtele. Will try it out for a few days to see what content it has and how it compares to Mixcraft.

Legitimate free software vs 70 bucks minimum for basic mixcraft so Studio has me leaning that way lol. Too bad about Reaper, just can't get it to work.

6. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Why not try the free version of Cubase?

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

8. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

+1 for Studio One. My favorite DAW by far.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95377

This should help you sort out issues with Reaper as well. I did a lot of research when finally jumping from Audacity on Windows 7 (no ASIO support) and settled on Reaper. It is worth the learning curve. Also worth buying some of the hardcopy manuals for it as well.

10. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

Thanks but read that already a few times . Searched thru the forum for hours it seemed looking for info. Reaper crashed to blue screen last night soon as I loaded it. Maybe if I had a different interface things would be better.

Code:
    Paleus 	+1 for Studio One. My favorite DAW by far. 
    Looking good so far, have to get more into what loops and drum tracks I can import

Code:
    fendrguitplayr 	This article is somewhat dated, but still might answer some of your questions...

http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/g...for-beginners/
    Good article, will look at some of the choices mentioned

Code:
    peteycaster 	Why not try the free version of Cubase? 
    I will do that, and will try out FL Studio too I guess.

11. MiloCroton

MiloCroton Tele-Holic

There are so many versions of the big name software, Like Cubase that you can pick it up very cheap second hand for a slightly older edition.

12. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

So Cubase LE5 was in the box with my Tascam, eventually got it to work but have a ton of noise on the tracks. Every time I touch a string I hear a crackle so going to set it aside for now.

Mixcraft was almost plug and play, built a 12bar blues in G to jam to right away, was pretty clean on the recording but it costs a bit much. ( It's roughly 250 from amazon.ca compared to 150 from amazon.com for the full version.)

Reaper once again crashed to blue screen so I deleted it.

Was going to download Music Magic or whatever it was called by Cakewalk but decided to spend more time with Presonus Studio One Free.

Got it running with a few tweaks to crystal clear recording, nice. Then on a tutorial I saw you could download free midi files and play them in the program. Did that with a few from mididb website. Pretty generic sounding until I realized you could swap the Studio One virtual instruments over whatever track you wanted. Now I have some great backing tracks of The Animals House of the Rising Sun and Hendrix Hey Joe to jam along to.

Having fun so thanks for your suggestions.

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

That's the main thing, ain't it? I think it's cool you're stopping to smell the flowers in each garden. When you find your comfort zone, you'll have an easier time from having learned the lay of the land.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.