Befuddled...anyone ever misplaced an amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by wrathfuldeity, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Have you tried calling St. Anthony?

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had once a rather large Ampeg bass cab ... 8x10 ... the small model ...

It might be in the garage ... or the basement ...

Or somebody borrowed it ...

3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Aliens beamed it up and are probing it in their ship. They often return 'em afterwards. I hope they drained the caps, though. :D

EDIT: I see it could be worse. The thread above yours in my list today is titled, "What amp am I looking for?"

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm no expert, but I've stayed at a HI Express on several occasions. What was the question?

tubegeek likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sorta.
    I left my #1 amp on the curb (for about 20 hours) across the street from my friend Kelly’s house.
    We rehearsed, I forgot to load it in my car, and it sat unmolested and neglected till Kelly got home from work the following day.
    I didn’t even miss it.
    He saw it, brought it in his house, and called me.
    Duh!

6. brookdalebill

You’re the second person lately to suggest this.
    I’ll try it next time I lose something.
    Any moment now.

rjtwangs likes this.
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It could be in the freezer next to the TV remote... don't ask me how I know....

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I noticed a while back that my neighbor's son had taken up the electric guitar. I figured he would like my old Squier 15 amp that I'd had since the '80s, but it was nowhere to be found. I spoke to her a few days later and mentioned that if I could find it, he could have it. She told me that my ex-wife had handed it over to him nearly a year prior, saying that I would never know it was gone.

9. miotch

miotch TDPRI Member

I've drunk gifted an amp. And I've set many things on top of a car or truck (knowing as I did it it was at risk, yet convinced that since I was consciously thinking about it, no way would I forget) and then later drove off. Somehow the inconsequential things, such as an open cup of a soft drink, always managed to stay on, no matter how Dukes of Hazard I drove and the expensive things such as phone, laptop, four-track recorder, etc., would fall off with just the lightest bump from a piece of gravel or feather-whisper application of the brakes.

But I've never misplaced an amp so that I didn't readily find it with a little search.

stevemc likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Reading from the Book of Leo's Letters to the Dielectrics, chapter 7, verses 18 to 21:

"Lend ye not in a drunken state thy amplificator to another," spake The Lord, "lest ye awaken the day hence having forgotten doing so. It is like unto the sheep allowing the wolf to babysit her offspring: ewe cannot be too careful with stuff like this."

Here endeth the epistle.

Please remember to leave tenpence in the tin.

11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Back in my first (unproductive) guitar phase, I traded a guy a little something for a Supro 1606, because my Twin was so frigging loud - I needed an amp I could play without getting the cops called. This was 1973.

Fast forward to age 59, I start to learn again. I’ve got my Les Paul and Twin from back in the day, but I have no idea where the Supro is. I don’t remember it being lost in the fire we had, nor do I remember loaning it out, or selling it. Our house has been gutted and rebuilt, so I know it’s not hiding anywhere around inside.

Finally it occurred to me to look in my shed, which is stuffed with boxes of crap, at least 20 surfboards, two bicycles, a lawn mower, ancient fishing gear, small furniture, etc. So I start tearing the shed apart. I have to move stuff out into the yard as I dig back in.

I found her buried under some of those boxes of crap. Probably been there 20 years. Being an idiot, I just brought’er in and twisted the one knob to turn it on. All original, never serviced. Fired right up and still going almost six years later.

Jakedog, miotch, tubegeek and 2 others like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I

I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. I saw a Gear Talk post where a guy had bought two cost effective Telecasters (I think they were Harley Bentons) and he wanted to trade one of them for a bass amp. I am a sucker for cheap guitars, and teles in particular. I had two bass amps in the shop, a 100 Watt Fender Rumble and a 25 watt Crate Bass amp. I go out to the shop to take some pictures of the amps to let him choose and I can't find them. They were there the last time I looked, what is going on. I uncovered everything that was covered and still I can't find them. I was on my way inside to tell my wife that someone had stolen my gear (weird as those amps are not very collectible and all my welding equipment, a microwave, tools and golf stuff is all over out there and none of those were touched) when it dawned on me. Back in January our church was giving some music equipment to a missionary and I noticed a Gallien Kruger bass cabinet with a 15" speaker sitting among the parts. I asked the Pastor about it and he said they used it as a sub for an outdoor concert and it worked.
    I am a big fan of GK bass cabinets so I asked if I could have it and he said sure. Then I got to thinking that the missionary could probably use those bass amps better anyway since they were powered and the GK cab was not. The missionary was thrilled that they could plug a microphone in and have a small portable PA system and I got a new bass cab but missed on the tele trade.

beagle likes this.
  13. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Nice neighborhood!

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

No but a friend of mine who was the singer in my old band had a 4X10 Fender Bassman that was misplaced by our drummer. It was misplaced at a pawn shop. Our drummer had a meth addiction but that's probably just a coincidence.

superjam144, stevemc, Peegoo and 3 others like this.
  15. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Huge LOL on that one!

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

I assume the passers by thought it was “garbage” and didn’t work.
    It’s a Roland Cube 80XL, my main squeeze for many years now.
    I’m lucky!

tubegeek likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It seems like your best chances are in the basement near the molehole. Or maybe some other place where you put gear.

I only have working amps in 3 different places. Non-working or unfinished amps in 3 other places.

I was actually having trouble finding a guitar today. It was in one of the usual places, but not the place I was at first expecting.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I lost a Peavey VTM60 head. That’s a big, heavy head. But I lost it.

Actually I loaned it to somebody, and forgot who. About 7-8 years ago now, the guy I bought it from asked me if I still had it. He wanted to buy it back. I went looking for it and couldn’t find it, then it dawned on me that I had loaned it out a few years previous. Then I couldn’t remember who I loaned it to...

I’ve asked everybody I’ve ever met. Nobody will admit to being the borrower, and I can’t for the life of me remember who it was.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i had a bass practice amp go missing but i didn't pay for it, so easy come, easy go.

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

also had some junkies steal a practice amp i left in my friend's basement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.