1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Before Pull Tabs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gardo, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I still have several of those. A very useful tool to this day!

I went down to Myrtle Beach for spring break in 1969 with three high school friends. It’s kinda amazing that I talked my parents into letting me go and that we stayed outta jail. One night we drove up to Crescent Beach IIRC and there was just a massive wall of beer swilling kids at the beach bars. One place had a beer can punch: set a can in it, swing the arm down had you had two good holes punched in a beer can. The bartender ran that thing at a rate you had to see to believe.

2. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

When did they start using pull tabs? I don't recall ever seeing a beer that didn't have a pull tab.

3. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Got my church key! PC050123.JPG PC050124.JPG

4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I'm old enough to remember this short-lived arrangement before pull tabs (or was that after? o_O ) :

pepsi2holes.jpeg

... but no older :oops: though I have used the "church key" openers for V-8 juice and evaporated milk cans.

TG likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have one of those in my kitchen drawer. I also have a bottle cap remover behind my bar.

6. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I think it was when I was around ten years old, if I recall my early beer-drinking days correctly.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Gardo likes this.
  8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I tell ya an ice cold pabst or schaefer tasted pretty good out of those old cans.
    Of course I was about 8, taking a sip at a family picnic!
    I have a collection, after cleaning out Granny's, my parents and my Mother-in Law's houses.
    Ice Picks, Church keys, sausage grinders, Pasta slicers, Aluminum Ice cube trays...

9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Used one last night to open a can of Manwich. We have two of those in the knife drawer, but they're new, not old and cool and don't say Genesee on them.

10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't miss the aluminum ice cube trays.

11. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I remember beverages in tin cans, then the pull off tabs that people choked on and littered everywhere, as well as the late '70's & early '80's Coors cans. The big hole to drink from, and the little one to enable faster consumption through hole #1. I've often heard of lads making a hookah out of them, with an Erlenmeyer flask rubber stopper with 2 holes for the bowl and tubing and the the small hole used as a "shotgun"....I believe that's what I have heard....

[​IMG]

I still have a P-38 on my keychain. It and the P-51's will always be around. When I was in the Seabees, they had already switched from C-Rats to MRE's, but there were still plenty of these things around. You can still find them everywhere, I believe they're still making them as far as I know. Some of the lifers called them "John Waynes". Do I miss the military? No way, but it had its' good times and these things are reminders of the good times.

[​IMG]

Rowdyman and BrazHog like this.
  12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Who else remembers using a screwdriver/knife and a hammer/rock when you couldn't find an opener?

old soul and SuprHtr like this.
  13. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

Life hack! :lol:

Growing up, my parents had one of those -- a fancier version with a corkscrew that Swiss Army'ed off one of the sides. Back then canned beverages were kind of a luxury item, so I never saw it used to open one. As others commented, we used the pointy end to open cans of (vegetable) oil, and the rounded end to open bottles of soda.

I may be younger than some of the posters here; I caught the end of the pop-top era. Once I could afford canned sodas, they were all pull tabs. So no pop-topping for me!

[​IMG]

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Honestly thought this was going to be about the days before those idiotic pull tab gambling things in the bars. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.