Before Pull Tabs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gardo, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I still have several of those. A very useful tool to this day!

I went down to Myrtle Beach for spring break in 1969 with three high school friends. It’s kinda amazing that I talked my parents into letting me go and that we stayed outta jail. One night we drove up to Crescent Beach IIRC and there was just a massive wall of beer swilling kids at the beach bars. One place had a beer can punch: set a can in it, swing the arm down had you had two good holes punched in a beer can. The bartender ran that thing at a rate you had to see to believe.

2. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

When did they start using pull tabs? I don't recall ever seeing a beer that didn't have a pull tab.

3. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Got my church key! PC050123.JPG PC050124.JPG

4. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

I'm old enough to remember this short-lived arrangement before pull tabs (or was that after? o_O ) :

pepsi2holes.jpeg

... but no older :oops: though I have used the "church key" openers for V-8 juice and evaporated milk cans.

TG likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have one of those in my kitchen drawer. I also have a bottle cap remover behind my bar.

6. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think it was when I was around ten years old, if I recall my early beer-drinking days correctly.

7. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Gardo likes this.
  8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I tell ya an ice cold pabst or schaefer tasted pretty good out of those old cans.
    Of course I was about 8, taking a sip at a family picnic!
    I have a collection, after cleaning out Granny's, my parents and my Mother-in Law's houses.
    Ice Picks, Church keys, sausage grinders, Pasta slicers, Aluminum Ice cube trays...

9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Used one last night to open a can of Manwich. We have two of those in the knife drawer, but they're new, not old and cool and don't say Genesee on them.

10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't miss the aluminum ice cube trays.

11. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I remember beverages in tin cans, then the pull off tabs that people choked on and littered everywhere, as well as the late '70's & early '80's Coors cans. The big hole to drink from, and the little one to enable faster consumption through hole #1. I've often heard of lads making a hookah out of them, with an Erlenmeyer flask rubber stopper with 2 holes for the bowl and tubing and the the small hole used as a "shotgun"....I believe that's what I have heard....

[​IMG]

I still have a P-38 on my keychain. It and the P-51's will always be around. When I was in the Seabees, they had already switched from C-Rats to MRE's, but there were still plenty of these things around. You can still find them everywhere, I believe they're still making them as far as I know. Some of the lifers called them "John Waynes". Do I miss the military? No way, but it had its' good times and these things are reminders of the good times.

[​IMG]

Rowdyman and BrazHog like this.
  12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Who else remembers using a screwdriver/knife and a hammer/rock when you couldn't find an opener?

old soul and SuprHtr like this.
  13. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

Life hack! :lol:

Growing up, my parents had one of those -- a fancier version with a corkscrew that Swiss Army'ed off one of the sides. Back then canned beverages were kind of a luxury item, so I never saw it used to open one. As others commented, we used the pointy end to open cans of (vegetable) oil, and the rounded end to open bottles of soda.

I may be younger than some of the posters here; I caught the end of the pop-top era. Once I could afford canned sodas, they were all pull tabs. So no pop-topping for me!

[​IMG]

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Honestly thought this was going to be about the days before those idiotic pull tab gambling things in the bars. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.