1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beetle Kill Pinecaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Kabrijj, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

Did a little bit of wiring last night -- not terribly complicated, but complicated enough.

IMG_20200530_192533.jpg

This one is for the baritone, but it's the only one I took pictures of. The volume knob is a push/pull which puts both pickups HOOP when in the middle position, and in series in the neck position; the tone knob is a coil tap for the bridge: approx 7K when down and 14K when pulled.

The trickiest part was keeping everything neat enough to fit back into the cavity! With these big ole CTS push/pulls, there's not a lot of room -- not too much underneath, and almost none side-to-side. Not to mention, where does one ground everything?

Then I wired up the normal scale (same wiring scheme but without the coil tapped bridge) and it was a fair bit easier. ;)

At any rate, once the electronics were done it was time to make a new nut.

IMG_20200531_091732.jpg

Here you can see the old plastic nut (only slightly damaged from extraction) and the bone blank which I'll make the new one from... sitting on top of some 80 grit sandpaper.

IMG_20200531_114011.jpg

Some elbow grease and a lot of bone dust later, and we've got a pretty good looking nut!

These particular blanks I found from Philadelphia Luthier Tool & Supply -- they're dyed bone, so what starts off a black starts to reveal all sorts of grainy variances of white & gray. This particular one has a very neat line down the center, which should lend itself very well to my intentionally worn-out looking Tele!

Macrogats and crazydave911 like this.
  2. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

I'm going to upload probably too many pictures here, so don't say I didn't warn ya!

IMG_20200531_125406.jpg

IMG_20200531_125411.jpg

Found out I don't have nearly as many knobs in the spare parts drawer as I thought (or at least ones that fit a solid shaft) so I opted to use these old Peavey amp knobs.

IMG_20200531_125416.jpg

Not sure what type of wood the fingerboard is, but it's got some interesting grain which lends itself well to the overall motif.

IMG_20200531_125420.jpg

The iron acetate stain brought out some light but surprise flame in spots of the neck...

IMG_20200531_125819.jpg

Not a perfect nut, but not too shabby either!

IMG_20200531_125448.jpg

While I was sanding the original finish off but before the acetate, I swung my knife blade at the edge of the headstock here -- just trying to get some more wear patterns.

IMG_20200531_125444.jpg

IMG_20200531_125805.jpg

Surprisingly happy with the way the neck turned out...

IMG_20200531_125453.jpg

...and how well it compliments the body!

Macrogats, crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  3. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

IMG_20200531_125439.jpg

Despite the way it looks, the neck is as smooth as it can be! After 7 coats of tru oil I lightly sanded with some liquid and 2000 grit paper.

IMG_20200531_125435.jpg

From a distance it doesn't look half bad!

IMG_20200531_125430.jpg

Actually from a distance it looks pretty darn good.

IMG_20200531_125721.jpg

Although the cracks still bug me... but eh, what can ya do? Live & learn.

You can see the worst of the water-cracks on the back... but there's also some light checking on the side here. Looks like the freezer/dryer situation wasn't in vain!

IMG_20200531_125739.jpg

Some more light checking from my freezer & dryer experiments. It's pretty subtle, especially compared to the cracks from the water, but they might get more noticeable naturally, in time.

IMG_20200531_125750.jpg

I'm fairly proud of how the ferrules came out, considering I did 'em with a hand drill!

IMG_20200531_125757.jpg

Another shot of the back -- those light thin lines are cracks in the finish.

4. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

IMG_20200531_125544.jpg

I dropped keys, screwdriver tips and a couple screws on the body to create some random dings & dents... and then rubbed some coffee grounds in them (mostly just noticeable in the deeper ones).

IMG_20200531_125538.jpg

I'm also a little bummed my epoxy idea didn't pan out like I'd hoped -- I was hoping this long line up top and the 2 smaller worm tunnels would be much brighter/noticeable. Instead they're kind of subdued, and the surrounding grain is much darker than I'd have preferred.

IMG_20200531_125653.jpg

This knot looks great, and I dig the two-tone color of the wood here.

IMG_20200531_125622.jpg

This part should have been my favorite -- big knot on two sides, a huge crack in the wood and a bunch of cool colors & textures...

IMG_20200531_125635.jpg

And honestly I've come to like it more than I did. Not what I'd envisioned, but that's part of the fun & challenge of woodworking, right? Come up with a vision, and either through intention or mistakes change that vision and adapt the results into a new vision... or, something like that. :cool:

IMG_20200531_125512.jpg

More side shots. There's a lot of character going on here, at least.

IMG_20200531_125527.jpg

I've been approaching all my creations as a learning experience. Try stuff, find out what works and what doesn't, adapt new techniques to the next build, etc etc.

If I had to do this one again, I'd have started with some shellac after sanding... then done the epoxy. Possibly some grain filler after that, maybe more shellac or a much heavier sealer coat (dunno what else would have prevented the water seepage)...

But ultimately I'm pretty happy with this one. Not at all what I envisioned when I started, but it's got a cool & unique thing going for it. All said & done, it plays better than it should and sounds great, too. Can't ask for too much more!

5. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

That's a fabulous looking guitar - you should be stoked with that. So I take it the body is nitro finished and the entire neck and headstock are tru-oil?

crazydave911 and fenderchamp like this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Simply beautiful!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

You are correct, on both counts: the tru oil, and that I'm stoked!

After I applied some of the iron acetate for color, I did consider spraying it with lacquer... At that point, I was still pretty burned out on nitro so decided to use up what's left of the tru oil from the baritone beetle kill.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's one of my all-time favorite teles I've seen. Nice work!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. wowazeplin

wowazeplin Tele-Meister

Man that’s sweet. How’s she play/sound?

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

It plays much better than it has any right to. Like, crazy low action without any buzzing -- super smooth and easy.

It sounds good! At least, it sounds like a Tele! I used some basic Fender pickups on it, and the extra mod for a little added versatility/options if needed. I've become a huge fan of the series Tele sound, and while I'm not as crazy about the "half out of phase" sound it definitely has it's place -- and it's easy enough to wire up to have both, so why not?

wowazeplin likes this.
  11. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow dude. Just been having a catch-up on this. Both those guitars came out fantastic. But the main one in question looks really good. I think the decision to go with the Blackguard was a good one. It ties in nicely with the darkened fill you originally did on the beetle kill on the top.

I love those reddish tinged pups on the other guitar. What are they?

12. Kabrijj

Kabrijj TDPRI Member

Thanks! I appreciate the good words.

Those pickups are by Q Pickups, based out of Croatia. The neck is A2/5 (so it's got alnico 5 magnets under the low strings and alnico 2s under the highs) and a tapped A3/4 bridge (different magnets, plus different outputs).

I can't say enough good things about these pickups! They look great, sound fantastic, and we're incredibly affordable. The only downside is shipping from Croatia to the US currently isn't happening (I got lucky & ordered them before the pandemic really took hold).

Macrogats likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.