Beerware: please use the appropriate glassware...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by trapdoor2, May 21, 2020.

1. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You had me at 'mink carcasses'...

teletimetx and LutherBurger like this.
  2. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I drink wine out of tumblers for this very reason.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

That was the first book on brewing I ever owned in the mid-'80s. I expect it has been revised many times since then. Like all of my hobbies, I dove into brewing head first and eventually mashed my own grains, roasted my own barley, and cultured my own yeasts. But after over a hundred batches, I decided that it was just so much easier to buy good beer, and I gave all of my books and equipment to friends.

As for drinking from cans, aluminum can coatings, used to prevent the oxidation of aluminum on the inside of cans, have been formulated using melamine or urea formaldehyde, and if the coating is not fully reacted, it is conceivable that there could be some residuals that leach into your beer. The Chinese have used formaldehyde as a clarifying agent in beer. Aldehydes can also be a byproduct formed during the fermentation process. And though formaldehyde is a carcinogen, very small amounts are not deemed harmful by the FDA, but if you drink a lot of beer...

So, here's to formaldehyde!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    teletimetx, Flaneur and KW1977 like this.
  4. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Apropos of no one here, satirical/just sounding off---

I've been drinking craft and import beer for over twenty years and I've never fully understood the glassware thing. I mean I get the reasoning behind it just,...never found that it translated. Certainly there's a palpable difference between drinking it out of a glass vs. it's container(can, bottle), but the rest is superfluous hooey to me. Does the beer taste good? Great, let's have it. It's not so much that my tastebuds are necessarily unrefined as much as I won't allow teensy, diminutive variations make or break my enjoyment, cause that's what beer is for, right?

I've also bought and sought boutique gear for the same span of years and the parallels crack my giggle rib. Craft beer & boutique gear are both enjoying an incredible boom but HOO BOY, Mercado Inundado. I think we're approaching the back end of the peak. So many people doing basically the same thing that it's all just flavor-of-the-month. If no one's talking about you, you must not make great gear/beer so buzz off, right? MJM still makes one of the best fuzz pedals I've ever heard and St George Brewing still gets everything right, yet I rarely hear anyone talking about either. So many slight variations on the same theme that are lost as soon as you sniff something through that unwashed beard or your drummer hits a ride cymbal. That's the demo vid I wanna see! A shootout of thirty different "transparent overdrives" while someone stands nearby smashing a ride cymbal! Hear that articulation?

These days I'm way more impressed with folks that conjure incredible tone from everyday, run of the mill gear, and a brewery that can simply get a good Pilsner right without simply adding it to the stable as an afterthought to their 30 IPA's. Hey! Another parallel! Good tone from common gear and a good Pilsner are both....REFRESHING! Haahahaha.

I do get it though. The gear/beer revolutions have really opened doors and kept the big companies on their toes, lest they start churning out crap as they do. And a wealth of choices IS quite fun. I'm just old and irritated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tone is in the fingers/Enough with the IPA's already/All in good fun, y'all!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    GGardner, DekeDog and teletimetx like this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

KW1977 likes this.
  6. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Red Lobster used to serve their draft beer in big frosty "schooners."

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Best brewery in North America in my opinion. I live in Gatineau most of the time now, but I did buy this one at my local AZ grocery. It’s the only variety they sell and I buy a 4 pack every time I go in there in hopes that they keep stocking them.

joebloggs13 likes this.
  8. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

The junk shops and thrift stores of Holland have millions and millions of beautiful special beer glasses, because every beer manufacturer makes one for each product, and they change the design every other year or so. Beautiful - and useless. Nobody uses them. They are too big and ungainly to store anywhere. A marketing gimmick - no more and no less.

Tommy Biggs and KW1977 like this.
  10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I drink beer at home from the bottle or can. It works for me.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, FWIW, nobody wants the skin off your neck. No need for extra salt.

I've been drinking beer for over 50 years and I've had many versions of beer facts recited to me (in many different languages for that matter), and spelled out to me in no uncertain terms by all kinds of well-meaning beer fanatics, professionals and amateurs, like me. I have a very good friend who was the editor of a popular beer journal who was way smarter than most and would have enjoyed your list.

All fascinating stuff; my main point, if I have one, is to not take a simple pleasure, like drinking a beer, too seriously - give yourself a little slack and throw a party or two. I've had so many favorite beers I can't keep track of them all.

We ever have the pleasure of crossing paths, there's a cold one (or temperature of your choosing) waiting for you on my tab. Cheers!

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Or the 40 Oz bottle?

13. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I certainly don’t mind drinking a beer out of a glass if I’m sitting down to dinner or relaxing on the couch, but it’s just easier and less risky to drink it from the container it came in most other times. You know, like yard work or household jobs, after mountain biking, after skiing, while mountain biking, while skiing, while playing guitar, etc, etc. It’s great being able to toss a can or two of good high test brew into a backpack now that most smaller breweries are canning all their good IPAs and other primo brews.

14. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Why is it so hard to find a proper Becker glass?
    [​IMG]

It's the perfect glass for a tasty golden German lager!

KW1977 and DekeDog like this.
  15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

If I am served a beer in a frosty glass, I ask for a glass at room temperature. Beer loses all its taste when it is that cold. Might as well drink icewater.

RomanS and ArcticWhite like this.
  16. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Fizzy pilsners or lagers I’ll drink from a bottle - cold but not US beer cold.
    British ales always from a glass - nothing against bottles, I just prefer it that way.
    No beer ever from a can - I think I gives it a nasty metallic taste from about half way down. I don’t use a pewter tankard for the same reason...

RomanS likes this.
  17. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

The ones in America tend to have these thick glass Goblets from the 70's with the emblems of major brewers - Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High life, Shlitz, etc etc. I'm trying to collect them all and I don't even drink beer out of them.

jhundt likes this.
  18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

expected carbonation amount varies by style. it's not a set "20%" thing.

19. cyclopean

you're missing out on how it smells.

20. cyclopean

[​IMG]
    i'm not usually super into lagers but this has really been doing it for me recently. i've been a brewer for about seventeen years or so and there's something subtle but wonderful going on with this that i can't quite figure out and it's really bugging me because i want to plug that hole in my beer knowledge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.