1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beer or Ale?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jun 23, 2020.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I believe the State of Alabama set it at 9% ABV. All it means is that the pub has to limit you to 10oz (per pour) if the beer is above 9%...and they charge you more for 10oz than a pint of 8% (or less). Based on that, I would hazard to guess it is up to each state to determine its own cap.

Steerforth and eddnix like this.
  2. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

You're completely correct if you are looking at the stuff you can buy everywhere. The stuff that is going on underground and the hop hybridisation going on in your neck of the woods is globally influential.

I hate to say it of course. I still love the traditional beers coming from here, France, Belgium Germany etc. But the problem is tradition, new flavours please...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Really ? that is weird. 10oz per hour is like a beer and a half per hour. But i don't think bars serve more than 10° beers here. Does it include liquor ? no more than 4 cl liquor glasses/ hour ?

I was asking what you thought, not necessarily what the government said.

Steerforth likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I thought the water came from old 33 spring water site? Do they ship it to Milwaukee.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

You were lucky to be right there where some of the greatest beers/ales were being brewed. Back in the early '80s, Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy (Dave Line) was one of only a few books available to home brewers. Back then, it was hard to find real ales in US stores. But, the popularity of imports was growing. We had to dig up imports and educate ourselves. However, the ones we were able to get were representative of the world's best. Unfortunately, many of the imports we were able to get were 'export only' and were watered down for American tastes. These days, you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a specialty, small batch brewery. And in the early days of US microbreweries, many of those beers weren't that good, though there were some that were excellent.

Steerforth and eddnix like this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Never ever try to keep up with Canadians when it comes to drinking beer. I had (RIP too young) a neighbor/friend who was a boatbuilder, and he worked for a firm based in Canada. Not once, but twice, I had to go and rescue him when the big cheeses came down and they went out drinking. One of those times he couldn’t even tell me where he was when he called me - I had to go look for his truck in likely parking lots. The other time he knew where he was, but couldn’t even stand up. And this was a boy who normally held his liquor just fine.

Steerforth likes this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Back in the '70s and '80s, in my area of the world, Canadian beer was the most flavorful beer available. I do remember Yuengling brewed a Porter beer that was as good as any Porter brewed anywhere. But they changed the recipe when they changed the bottle, and it was less than average.

Steerforth likes this.
  8. trapdoor2

I'm an engineer. I work with facts, not hearsay. Besides, everything I know comes from the government. :D

My preference is for beers that run above 10%...and that you can't see thru, like Russian Imperial Stouts, etc.

AFAIK, there is no cap on how much liquor can be dispensed here. Generally, if you are still in your chair, you can order another drink. Locally, most of the bars claim 1-1/4oz of liquor per drink minimum (although I haven't seen one of those signs in years). I always find it amusing to watch 1930s films where the characters order multiple drinks for themselves. "Bartender, I want 6 martinis...line them up right here in front of me." (in the voice of William Powell or Myrna Loy, of course). I'm not sure you can do that these days.

9. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

This is the ale that does it for me.

5DBED835-2AB9-4C06-9B30-328D4429CE75.png

uriah1 and Steerforth like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not true at all. That's like saying there's no real difference between a cheap table wine and a well produced vintage.

cyclopean, Steerforth and johnny k like this.
  11. Ron R

Worse - New Jersey.

Steerforth likes this.
  12. johnny k

Don't worry it was a joke. I don't know enough about beer to give my opinion on anything.
    What i know is that i don't like the english draft beers without carbonation. This i can testified. And that i like headroom on my beer, and not filled up to the brim.

Steerforth likes this.
  13. Ron R

Per pour, not per hour. As in, they can't give you a 16 oz glass of it at a time.

johnny k and Steerforth like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Ear :
    2D6C69A1-27CF-416A-8B9D-B5323E9C4657.jpeg
    Bale :
    D2560609-A044-4E0D-9149-404E5F3D2822.jpeg

I guess I don’t understand how someone could get those confused…

Steerforth likes this.
  15. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

Sod it! Just give me a pint.

Steerforth likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It isn't the same, at all IMO as it was 40 years ago, but I buy it so there's something to offer to a guest - and it can be found very cheap.

When I am a guest and people offer "A Beer" I say "No Thanks". When they instead offer "An Ale" I say yes. What's going on here? Simple. There is to my knowledge, no such thing as Lite Ale, Ice Ale. I like a good beer but I don't know what one is supposed to do when offered a light beer or ice brewed beer. The odds are not with me so I decline. With ale, the odds are excellent and there is the real, operable differentiation between the two.

Steerforth likes this.
  17. trapdoor2

You don't need to leave the continent to find the best beers on the planet. They're almost all in Belgium. Them Flanderers make serious beer. Trappist, Flanders Red, Lambics that taste like alcoholic pancake syrup...Gulden Draak, for Dogs' sake (for which I will stop, reading and order if I see it on any menu...[if I had a Sam Elliot voice:] no need to look further, ma'am, just flounce off and come back with a smile and a Draak).

eddnix and Steerforth like this.
  18. johnny k

You deserve a like for the asterix reference.

Steerforth likes this.
  19. johnny k

And the angry video game nerd !

Steerforth likes this.
  20. johnny k

i wanted to put a beer quizz for you, but you had to take notes. I am sorry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.