1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Been using a Dr. Z Brake Lite with a 50 watt Marshall

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by CV Jee Beez, Nov 10, 2018.

1. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

No issues. No unusually high heat.

FWIW, I use the attenuator to knock down some dB only. I have no intention of running my amp flat out and using the Brake Lite to knock it down to bedroom levels.

Before I bought it, I had read so much on internet forums about trepidation and worry using the conservatively rated 45W attenuator w/ a 50 watt amp.

I chalked this apprehension up to not considering a tube spec sheet and the max RMS output of a 6L6 or EL34. At their best, these would only produce 50-60 watts. There are 2 50W resistors in the brake lite.

I could see maybe a heat breakdown if you were using both your amp flat out and the attenuator at it's lowest setting for prolonged periods but, I don't foresee using it that way.

Dr. Z wont's say it but, if you plan on using it like I do, The Brake Lite is great for your taming your 50 watt amp.

theprofessor, uriah1 and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.