1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Been sticking it to me for their double stick tape

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Oct 18, 2020.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I use a lot of StewMac’s double sided tape. I use it to hold my template to my body and neck when routing. It is great for building a template on the fly for a one time job. I use it to tape sandpaper to my radius beam. Tape sandpaper to my fret leveling beam (scrap granite from my local counter shop). But I hate the price StewMac charges. I have been looking a long time to find a cheaper source for this tape. I found one on ebay so I wanted to share in case others have been looking for an alternate source as well. I just bought it and I can not tell the difference between the two….Except the price. The replacement is called 3M X-Series General Purpose Transfer Tape XG2105, 2 in x 60 yd. The cost is $9.85 a roll. StewMac’s double stick tape is $34.58 a roll.

double-stick-tape.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

StewMac has some specialty and hard to find items. Unfortunatly they price all items as if they were the sole source. This is a good example of that.

crazydave911 and wadeeinkauf like this.
  3. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip. I also go thru this stuff quite frequently.

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

For my sanding beams and blocks I make my own double-stick tape. Here's how:

Apply a strip of blue painter's tape on the sanding beam. Lay a matching width of blue tape on the back of your sandpaper of choice. With the sandpaper face down on a clean flat surface, lay a thin bead of CA down the center of the blue tape on the sandpaper. Place the sanding beam tape-side down on the blue tape on the sandpaper. Lean on the beam for about 20 seconds while the CA kicks. That's all there is to it.

You can peel the strip of sandpaper off the beam because the tape releases from the beam. If you're careful about how you store these strips (the side of a refrigerator is good), you can make up these strips in several grits and always have what you need, ready to go.

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

So I did some math, and the rolls I buy are only 36 feet compared to the 108 foot rolls stewmac is offering. So the price difference is 27 dollars versus 35 dollars.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

The tape I referenced is 2 in x 60 yd which is the same size and length as the Stewmac tape. $9.85 compared to Stewmac's $34.58. And I did not mention the ebay vendor ships free Stewmac does not.
    Wade

crazydave911 and Peegoo like this.
  8. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Be weary. Stewart-MacDonald have suposedly changed suppliers and no longer sell the 3M version. I had a roll of the 3M tape years ago and it was the best double sided tape.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I could see no difference between the two actual tapes. I did notice that the backing piece on the Stewmac tape was thicker. I notice no difference between the two tapes on how easy it was to remove the backing piece. On the Stewmac tape when it sets in the shop for a few months it does get more difficult to separate the backing. I would think that you would have the same problem or maybe even a little more problem with the 3M tape since the backing is thinner.

Here is another thing. I just checked my previous order of this tape in 2019 from Stewmac. The price was $17.75. Todays price is $34.58. I just noticed as you pointed out that this is a new product number so it looks like this is a new Stewmac replacement for what we have been buying from them in the past. I read a comment about the product on the Stewmac website that said the new Stewmac tape is thinner than the 3M tape. This would be be a real problem for me. As it is I have to double or sometimes triple the layers of tape to get a good hold between a template and the working piece. I use a glue clamp to press them together then remove the clamp. I have had tape/template slip while routing in the beginning of my learning curve so I take no chances now.

In fairness to Stewmac looks like this is a replacement/upgraded product. This may be a better tape for some users needs. Not for my use especially at this new price.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

For my sanding beams and blocks I make my own double-stick tape. Here's how:

Apply a strip of blue painter's tape on the sanding beam. Lay a matching width of blue tape on the back of your sandpaper of choice. With the sandpaper face down on a clean flat surface, lay a thin bead of CA down the center of the blue tape on the sandpaper. Place the sanding beam tape-side down on the blue tape on the sandpaper. Lean on the beam for about 20 seconds while the CA kicks. That's all there is to it.

Been doing this method and it works brilliantly.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Peegoo

I've found a really good way to stick templates to wood for routing is little pieces of double-stick carpet tape. A little goes a long way. This stuff is thick like duct tape and it takes just a few small 1/2" x 1/2" pieces to securely hold a template in place. It also provides a small gap that allows you to fit a putty knife between the template and the workpiece to release the two from each other.

The good stuff is like gaffer tape: unlike duct tape it completely peels off, leaving no adhesive residue.

Most every hardware shop/Hopeless Despot/Lowe's has this stuff in stock. Here it is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141L81GS/

This stuff is not ideal for fretwork sanding beams because it is a bit spongy--which can be imprecise and affect the accuracy of your fret leveling.

But it's great for sanding beams used on wood surfaces.

crazydave911 and SRHmusic like this.
  12. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I'll give this a try. My only experience with carpet tape was many years ago was it was very gooie and made a mess when it got warm.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Peegoo

The modern carpet tape is way better than the old-style stuff.

Unrelated: You're in Monterey CA? I lived in Pacific Grove between 1984 and 1985. LOVED it! Great surf, great golf, great music, great food, and the Dream ("Pillow") Theater down on Cannery Row was a weekly adventure :twisted:

14. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Thank you for loving this area....See California is not so bad. Having been lucky to have seen a lot of the world I have never seen anywhere that can compare to Yellowstone in Wyoming. In so many ways it is a national treasure.

Peegoo and crazydave911 like this.
  15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Most feelings on California from me at least are centered on stupid laws and the LA area,the only place I've ever been. My feeling was begging God not to flush that toilet bowl until I was gone lol.
    To be fair however, I've met some of the finest people I know here that live in California. Not all of Persia was Babylon either :D

Dave

Peegoo and wadeeinkauf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.