Been diagnosed with prostititus... Anyone else have this?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by highwayman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I've had it on and off, and BPH, for almost 20 years but only one instance where it REALLY flared up -- which was horrible. Burning, constant pain that I could only get relief from by taking a hot bath. Thankfully it didn't last.

I've been taking generic Flomax and it helps, although I still have to get up a few times a night to go pee, even though not much comes out. Two weeks ago I had to stop taking it in preparation for surgery and the urge to go to the bathroom got a lot worse, so I was reminded that it's an effective drug.

Many years ago I suffered from an enlarged prostate to the point where I had to have something called a TUNA procedure--they basically blasted my prostate with microwaves to get it to shrink so that it would not be constantly pressing on my bladder all the time and making me feel like I constantly had to go.

For prostatitis, aside from the Flomax I've also found that cranberry juice helps. For me, avoiding alcohol and caffeine didn't seem to make much of a difference but YMMV as they say. Also, taking 600 mg of Advil also helps when I'm having a particularly bad bout, especially before bedtime, but thankfully that hasn't happened in a few years.

It can be managed...like anything else...

2. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Thanks guys for the advise.I will see my new uroligist next week ,hopefully it will shed some light on my condition. Sometimes I think they just want you to keep coming back again and again for the money, instead of finding a cure.

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Have you been taking antihistamines? I lavoid them now.. After the biopsy came back clean I did about a year of Flomax and Finasteide before symptoms cleared up. Have been fine for a few years now.. Don't expect anything to work over night. My urologist told me to give it a few months before I'd see changes.

4. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

5. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

The thing is, there really isn't a cure. Also I only see my urologist once a year; besides drugs, there is a lot of common sense, which I posted earlier.

I am going to tell you this: you may never get over this completely; but it can be managed, and I for example live a pretty normal life. It is just that the first time is usually the worst. I was so depressed the first couple of months, but I stuck to routines and avoidances and after 3 months it was and is completely manageable.

I have to say,you are pretty brave to reveal this; not even my co-workers know. Only my girlfriend, my parents and her parents.

6. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

I have it. The above is all good. Took flomax for a while. Didn't like the side effects. You'll learn how to control. SEX helps mine...the wife is cool with that.

7. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

It seems virtually everyone over 50 has some sort of odd uncumfortable or downright miserable condition they are dealing with. I was 45 when I had a year of back pain that had me looking into suicide.
    just last year I was thinking how lucky I was to have near zero prostate prob. 2 weeks later I had a kidney stone That had me jerking so bad I had bruises all over me for 2 weeks. That passed but nothing works as well as it did before.

Hopefully youll find a good treatment. Good luck with getting it better.

8. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I've had it twice, back in my early 20s. Wasn't a big deal but it was irritating.

9. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've had that before - but it was called prostitutis.

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Where would he put the mayonnaise?

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

What a difference a letter or two makes. :) It's prostAtitis, I think. Good luck with it either way, though.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  12. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Apply liberally to the affected area

13. mcriff

mcriff Tele-Meister

Get a saw palmetto supplement that also has pygeum. Solgar makes a quality one, Saw Palmetto/Pygeum/Lycopene Complex.
    Vitamin Shoppe has a stand-alone Pygeum Extract.
    No guarantee that your case is the same as mine was, of course. But IF it is, a pygeum-based strategy will help where antibiotics failed miserably.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Having an age and an I.Q. rating that are at present equally balanced, I freely admit I was both misinformed and actually quite ignorant in making light of your post seeking help and or knowledge of prostatitis. I offer my sincerest apologies for doing so.

There are a list of things that might have caused your episode, and from reading about it, I gather it is quite painful. I hope that you are successful in treating the problem and find relief both soon and long lasting.

TD

15. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I misread this as "prostitutitus," which would explain things. Anyway, I had an infected prostrate a few years ago, and didn't really have any symptoms aside from blood in my, um, man goo. Doctor gave me some kind of antibiotic and told me to, um, evacuate the gland as much as possible to get rid of the, um, bad stuff. Even offered to write a note to my wife!

In your case, I would definitely seek another opinion or two; it shouldn't be that hard to clear up.

16. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

No problem and thanks for that. It's quite easily misread and would strike me as humorous as well Thanks Toto!

17. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Get well soon and I though it said hookers also I can't read lol

18. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck.

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've had it several times through the years, starting with a prolonged bout of it as a teenager. Not fun stuff at all. JayJ gives good advice. Sitz baths really do help when urinating is problematic. My infections have been controlled by medication. Watch out for Cipro though. Yes, it's often prescribed for this. And no, as more than one ear doctor has told me, it cannot hurt your ears. Bull****. I lost a significant amount of hearing on the right side from a round of Cipro. If you get tinnitus suddenly while taking it, or your tinnitus suddenly gets much louder, stop it immediately. The last infection I got a sulfa drug, which worked well.

As you get older, kind of hard to tell the age induced BPH from prostatitis. More frequent urination and other disturbances down there seem to be part of the deal. Actual prostatitis is a bit different. It can make you feel generally really crappy, not well. One other thing. In the winter, dress warmly. I brought on an infection once from being quite cold for too long, including sitting on a big rock for too long. My prostate was not amused.
    MD

20. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

If you're into natural cures try raspberry ketones and eating a ton of broccoli. Raspberry is for men like cranberry is for women.

Complications of prostatitis can include:

Bacterial infection of the blood (bacteremia)
    Inflammation of the coiled tube attached to the back of the testicle (epididymitis)
    Pus-filled cavity in the prostate (prostatic abscess)
    Semen abnormalities and infertility (this can occur with chronic prostatitis)
    Elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels

I'd suggest you keep seeing a qualified physician...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.