Bee: Pastor Diagnosed With Severe Case Of Buffering

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by JuneauMike, Apr 8, 2020.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

A new wrinkle in the worship experience. Never mind whether you're using a tube amp or all true bypass pedals. What kind of Cat-5 cable do you roll with?

Pastor Diagnosed With Severe Case Of Buffering

[​IMG]
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA—According to a statement released by Faith Rock Church, pastor Russell Schmidt is still undergoing medical tests to determine the root cause of a sudden buffering attack, which occurred right in the middle of his Sunday message titled "Victory over Life's Trials."

As Schmidt expounded on the need to claim victory over trials and tribulations, church members live streaming the sermon at home were suddenly shocked to see Schmidt freeze up, then begin stuttering, before quickly recovering for a moment.

"We were hoping it was just an allergic fit," said one church member. "Our thoughts and prayers are with him. We know he can beat this."

"But then Schmidt just kept on slurring, stuttering, freezing up—he even turned into a mass of pixels near the end there," she said, clearly distraught. "We tried to call out and ask him if he was okay, but he just stood there staring at us with a weird expression on his face for several minutes."

Faith Rock Church is asking all churches to pray that God would give the doctors wisdom to figure out why Schmidt's health is suddenly failing, and also for donations to upgrade their live streaming software and broadband connections.

2. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Modern Jimmy and Tammy Fae problems....

3. JuneauMike

Right now, I'd say its much more widespread then Jimmy and Tammy.

mRtINY likes this.
  4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

This is not just a modern affliction.

5. JuneauMike

yes, but given that so many churches who previously were fine with not having much of an online A/V game have now been thrown into the deep end, I'd say we're not flattening the curve right now in that regard.

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

But with buffering issues, Tammy Fae's mascara would only run intermittently, as opposed to most of the time....LOL

I usually look to the Bee for the news of tomorrow morning....

mRtINY and JuneauMike like this.
  7. JuneauMike

Yep. If all else fails, blame the sound guy ... for everything.

Jakeboy likes this.
  8. warhammer

warhammer TDPRI Member

We've not had any buffering problems yet, but sound problems plagued part of Easter service for us. We had several videos and a couple of slides. The pastor spoke between some of them. We had done a sound check prior to service, but when he replugged following an unscheduled run to the little boys room during two songs that were prerecorded, some nasty snap, crackle, and pop became evident to the listener at home. Complaints came rolling in by text, Facebook messenger, posts on the Facebook live feed, slack, and whatsapp all at the same time. It required an impromptu break between the communion and the message.

I know. I know. Blame the sound guy. Well he (meaning I) had gotten complacent and wasn't wearing the monitor headphones because, well because I don't like wearing them. They might have cooties is the best explanation I can come up with, and we hadn't had a problem yet. I tried fiddling with the gain on the broadcast software with little improvement. The software we use is pretty limited in that respect. At least it got fixed without too much funny stuff going out live. I got everything muted and a static slide up while we fixed it. It took 30 seconds to fix, maybe a little less.

I'll just be glad when this is all over. The German government has no exceptions for their rule of no more than two people congregating anywhere except grocery stores and such, so it's just me and the pastor. I may wind up the only person not to miss actually being there every Sunday through this thing if I can't get someone else trained to run the camera, software, etc. I would have already done so, but the production has been getting a little more elaborate with each passing Sunday. I think we've plateaued though.

I'm ready to go back to just worrying about whether I can remember the intros to songs and whether I'll get the stink eye from one of the singers if I screw up.

GoldieLocks and mRtINY like this.
  9. warhammer

warhammer TDPRI Member

Update to last week's popping noise fiasco. During a more intensive sound check this week, it was discovered that the mic seems to have a short in it.

10. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Well, time for a new mic....

Don't order from Sweetwater right now - they have sat on my on-line order for 2 weeks and don't answer the phone and don't return emails.

I don't know about any of the other big stores, but ZenProAudio is currently doing business as usual.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.