Bee box builders: Best brand? Basic bee box beta?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Jun 16, 2021.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Anybody have experience or insight into the good, better, best bee box suppliers? Seems like we see threads about pretty ones, plain ones, clearer grain, less warping, better finger joints, but I haven't been able to get a clear picture of who makes the nicer ones.

For that matter, I don't know about sizes. Especially, do they come in different *depths*?

Any basic 'bee boxes for dummies' info? I hope a general thread on this stuff might be useful to others...

JohnnyCrash and DADGAD like this.
  2. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm interested too. I have a couple of cheap speaker cabs to knock out.

3. King Fan

OK, I guess I should do *some* research to get the ball rolling. A TDPRI search found this nice thread by @Mongo Park ...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/gotta-love-the-bee-box.1031189/

with a nice ("deep") bee box he got from

http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/browse.php?txtCatID=58

...but his was dove-tailed and the only ones they show now are finger-jointed.

He got a nice reply from @awasson who mentioned he got a deep box at

https://innisfilcreekhoney.com/products/dove-tails-hive-body-deep

-- but again the box they show now is fingers, not dovetails.

And @jeff_e mentioned he got a deep, finger-jointed version from

https://hiveworld.ca/collections/hives/products/hiveworld-9-5-8-un-assembled-hive-body

All these sites are in Canada. For sure I like Canada, but I'd welcome any info on US suppliers.

So far I've learned (from what I can tell) that...
    • If you're shopping, bee guys call these boxes "supers."
    • A standard modern design is the "Langstroth" type.
    • For amps, esp. 12", we may want the '10 frame' size, which may be 20” x 16 ¾”.
    • And we may want the 'deep' (9 5/8") rather than 'medium' (6 5/8") or 'shallow'.
    • The few I've seen so far are 7/8" pine (or ponderosa pine).
    • They tend to have recessed grips for lifting (when lying horizontal) routed into the sides. If you don't like that, you can maybe turn to put them on the inside (*if* finger joints). Or you can mount a standard handle over the groove, which is functional and looks logical.
    • They tend to have a shelf routed in the inside 'top' of the horizontal box to hold the hive frames for the bees or honey. You can fill this with a wood strip, or (maybe?) put the shelf on the back.
    Here's a pic of the 10-frame "deep" to show the frames on their shelf and the handles...

upload_2021-6-16_13-49-46.png

As I say, I may be wrong; just inferring and guessing.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Coffeemutt likes this.
  4. Forthefunofit

Forthefunofit TDPRI Member

King Fan likes this.
  5. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

King Fan likes this.
  6. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I had bees I bought from Dadant, as they were produced about an hour and a half away from me in Virginia.
    I know that locally Tractor Supply Company and most of the Co-Ops sell bee supplies.

The deep size is what you want if you’re looking for something in the 5e3 range. Some companies call it a brood or bottom box.

Depending upon where you’re at, most states in the US have at least one University providing services through an Extension agency. Although they usually don’t produce themselves, they can usually turn you on to various local agricultural type products.

Forgot to add you want 10 frame size, not 8.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    jtcnj and King Fan like this.
  7. King Fan

Good tip; the select grade would be a nice feature. They say:

"This is a premium grade and has the least amount of imperfections allowed. This grade allows small tight knots on the outside of the box and small imperfections on the inside. No knots in the fingers, rabbets or hand holds are allowed.

Only the smallest of knots are acceptable (pencil eraser size or smaller) and has to be a tight knot, no black knots at all."

8. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

www.dadant.com
    They will be able to help you with anything you need!
    Free Shipping over $100.00
    I have nothing to do with Dadant & Sons!
    It's where my son goes!

King Fan likes this.
  9. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Here for the alliteration

Southpaw Tele, symbiotic and King Fan like this.
  10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I've been looking around, too, King Fan!

I couldn't find any local at ACE Hardware, Cal Ranch or Tractor Supply that were in stock or could ship to store.

I've been wanting to build a 2x8" Vox AC10 from surplus Hammond Organ parts!

King Fan likes this.
  11. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

King Fan likes this.
  12. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Another potential source of cheap boxes is an unassembled custom drawer kit. If you can find a local source you won't have to pay shipping and you can customize the dimensions, wood and the joint type. I been looking for a good local source for this to no avail.

Coffeemutt likes this.
  13. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

Their is a suppler close to my place as in about 10 min away . When I went to look at what they had, they had dovetail boxes on sale $12 ( top quality) $12 if you bought 12. I bought the bee dozen and split it with a friend. This has kept me going so far. I also have a few finger joint ones from before. I use the finger joint for covered boxes and dovetail for the exposed wood style. That is my story but I don’t think it helps your search much. I looked today and $22 for a finger joint box.

King Fan likes this.
  14. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Subscribed.

15. King Fan

Yeah, I haven’t seen shipping prices so far. Any experiences?

The main idea here would be to save money. I don’t really want to buy four or five to get free shipping...

16. wallybob

wallybob TDPRI Member

The last couple I got were from True Value ($17) and they have free ship-to-store. Can't seem to paste a proper link but the SKU is 202469

King Fan and monkeybanana like this.
  17. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

King Fan likes this.
  18. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Here you go:
    https://www.truevalue.com/beekeeping-deep-brood-box-unassembled

Out of stock at the moment though..
    With the interruption to supply chains and big demand for building supplies (wood/lumber especially..) I'm not at all surprised.

Edit: Pine boards nominally 1x12 (x6' length) are running right about $20 at the local big box store. There's enough board feet to do a 1x12 no problem. If you've got some ply or similar for baffle (and back, if not open) you're pretty much good to go.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  19. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I used Dadant on both of my current builds, but it really shouldn’t matter — the quality is pretty much the same from all makers.

Beeware: bee boxes are cheap. The lumber is not selected for straightness/quality and the fingerjoints are few and large.

That said, I’ve built several of my own cabs from scratch when I had access to saws/routers/etc. I’ve also now built two bee box cabs with few tools. I also own several professionally built cabs.

For the home builder on a budget, nothing beeats a bee box. They’re very affordable and precut in several standard sizes (8 frame and 10 frame both use the same depth categories, so there are plenty of options).

However, they’re affordable pine kits for bee purposes. Both of mine had a warped board and some gaps and minor assembly issues (have wood filler and wood putty on hand!).

With patience though, you can make them look good. I’m awful at just about everything and I somehow managed to make one of them look decent. The other one is glued, but I haven’t begun finish work (sanding, rounding corners, etc.), so there may be hope for that one too :D

monkeybanana and King Fan like this.
  20. King Fan

Thanks, @JohnnyCrash . In fact I’ve been meaning to link to your great current build thread on building a baby Bassman in a bee box (that's for all you alliteration addicts). Tons of good pics, and a nice description of how you can do this with virtually no power tools. Highly recommended.

And thanks for the note about the 8-frame / deep boxes. For those building smaller amps, with no need for the big box, their dimensions seem to be 18 3⁄8” X 12 1⁄4”.

monkeybanana and JohnnyCrash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.