1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bedroom Size Practice, Where Do You Put Your Amp?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 26, 2021.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

At home, my amp is on a stand angled up towards where I sit or stand within (a very responsibly socially distanced :)) 2m.
    But I could stand upto 5m away, when Mrs 41144 is out - 'cos I can then play louder :cool:

sax4blues likes this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Everything is in reach.

03F46658-4D06-448B-BB64-CBB2FE7370E9.jpeg

3. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

20210226_195726.jpg

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Same size here, I have my amp sitting on a stage directly across the room at the back wall. The stage is a simple 4x4 platform covered in entry mats which elevates the amp being played off the floor by about 6 inches.

I just select the amp for the night and let it take the stage. Truth be told, I have each set to what I like and very rarely adjust the controls so I don't need them near me to play.

Besides, you really do need to have some distance from the speaker for the sound to expand before it hits the ears...at least I feel it sounds better if you can get 8-10 feet away.

sax4blues likes this.
  5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I finally talked my wife into selling the bed in one of the spare bedrooms and getting a sleeper love seat so I'd have a little more room. Now at least I can have a guest over to jam.
    IMG_1735.jpg

sax4blues likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here in central London we call that a dining room. A bedroom is more like 7ft x 9ft.

Or what you call a closet.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Update: My “practice amp” actually sits on my desk but I rarely it. It’s a THRii and surprisingly it records pretty well.
    4332C377-47CF-49F2-8BBC-C85041D0E6F6.jpeg

8. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

7 x 9 ??
    Luxury.

Bill likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Our music room is really crowded - a small bedroom in a 100 year old house. They didn't go into big bedrooms in smaller bungalows back them. We converted one bedroom to a music room but had to locate an antique roll top desk in it too, so with guitars on stands, a shelving unit, electronic keyboard (a nice Korg unit) and chairs, the only room I've got to sit in is right beside my Princeton, so that's where I sit. I'm waiting on an attenuator I ordered to come in so I can crank the amp up a bit but not disturb the rest of the house in this more isolated time. I don't have a photo handy alas.

10. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Right now, both of my amps (64 Hand Wired PR and 57 Deluxe) are in the family room in the basement. From the looks of your dimensions, my family room is quite a bit bigger. I moved them down there from the dining room, which is about the same size as your music room to make room for the Christmas tree. I'll likely move at least one of them back up stairs the it warms up. I prefer playing up stairs, more light from the windows, close to the stereo and better acoustics with the carpeting and hard wood floors.

11. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Same size room. Amp right in front of me facing me. Blues Jr., a few pedals. I use the guitar knobs and the pedals to change the sound. Amp controls never change.

Also, quit smoking. You won’t need a place for an ashtray or portable oxygen later in life.

12. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Relatively small room, smaller than the OP’s, but this setup works for me :) The acoustic tiles are more for decoration but they definitely deaden the room ;) EAED6B8A-43E4-4E4F-8D23-97562E34D27D.jpeg

13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My poor attempt at humor for using the amp as an end table. Never smoked, will probably still die.:)

14. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I have tiny space, about 5 feet wide. I sit with my guitar at a right angle to the amp which cuts down on the hum.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I do the same

I have my TM Twin about 3-4 feet in front of me

Bill and DougM like this.
  16. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

IMG_0425.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.