1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bedroom Size Practice, Where Do You Put Your Amp?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 26, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My music room is bedroom size, 12ft x 14ft. I have a chair backed to one wall and my amp at the other wall, facing me. I'm thinking of moving the amp next to me, facing across the room. This would provide a less direct sound, allow easy access to controls instead walking across the room(I constantly tinker), and give me a place to set my beer and ashtray.

What do other people prefer for amp location?

idjster likes this.
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I sit right next to mine. I have a funky old green leather chair pulled up next to my amps. I'm a knob twister though. I could never sit far away from my amps and pedals.

irie and Chester P Squier like this.
  3. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

I like your amp setup, maybe start tweaking your guitar knobs instead of your amp knobs?

idjster and stepvan like this.
  4. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

Like _memento_mori-, I sit next to mine so I can move the knobs. I find I get the best sound when the guitar's volume knob is all the way up and use the amp controls. If I turn the amp up and the guitar down, there is a lot of hiss. Even with humbuckers.

Plus, my little bedroom amp (Vox AD15VT) is a modeling amp, so I can switch from Fender to Vox to Marshall amp sounds (they are not labeled with the amp manufacturers' names.).

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  5. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

My amp is directly to my right. I do 50/50 headphones/ speaker practice so I need it close. I feed the aux in with my phone when I want playalongs, and it sits on the little table.
    11C9498C-3647-48BF-8B03-48C975EC4C78.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Toadtele likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

The Micro Cube solves all problems
    20210212_191146.jpg
    It really has quality sound, good effects, easy to use, and a line Out- not a Toy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    rob54702, scook, dented and 2 others like this.
  7. sax4blues

I started using the guitar knobs when I bought my first guitar. I figured I paid for em, I’ll use em.

Bill, Bella, stepvan and 1 other person like this.
  8. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I have roughly the same size room, and it also serves as my home office. I have my amps in one corner, one on a small table, one propped up on books next to that table. I usually sit or stand facing the amps. I’ll try to get out of the direct beam if I’m playing loud.

9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Amp?

7171551, dented and Jakedog like this.
  10. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My room is similar in size as well, I did acoustic panel at the common wall of the condo, my chair in one corner of the paneled wall with one amp on one side of my chair and one on the other against the wall.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I have them in various places. I sit in front of my GDEC which is how I play backing tracks. I have the amps on the opposite wall or to my left and they are either mic'd or have direct line-in to the mixer.

WP_20210226_15_23_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20210226_15_23_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210226_15_23_42_Pro.jpg

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

My bedroom is seldom where I play at home.

Living room:

Supro,About 2' away, on floor, or amp stand, facing my general direction.

Dining room:

Supro or 5E5on Floor or amp stand, about 2to 8 feet away. I walk around more with 5e5, I kinda know where to put the knobs for whichever guitar then use the guitar knobs n switches. If I needed it louder (unlikely unless I was recording specifically for breakup and not just playing for fun) I'd pace around more I suppose.
    The Supro I stay closer to if I'm tinkering.

Kitchen:
    Supro on counter facing me, or amp stand angled up the steps, where I'll sit. 5e5 or 75 on floor 5'ish away.

Upstairs hallway:

I'll occasionally put the 75 in the hallway facing toward hall, and open all the doors just so I can pace around while I play. I'm sure this would sound awful to record.

Bedroom:

My Fender 75 is large, and normally in my bedroom. If I want overkill power and or my best reverb, i sit it within 6' of myself on the floor or dresser.
    It doesn't like amp stands, no idea why. At practices I used to pop it on garage workbench. Dive gigs either on floor or up on a nearby pool table.

If you know where you want your amp knobs, you can be further away. I first bought a 25' cable so I could be a room away from my AB165 Bassman and use the teles knobs to change sounds.
    If you aren't as attached to your settings or change areas often, closer is better.

From what you describe, you're not a "this setting for this guitar, done!" Sort of player with the amp in question, so closer seems better.

What's the amp? Extension cabinet sounds like a potential answer.

13. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

Mine's on my desk, right in front of me, it's not great but it works right now, my biggest problem is my chair's handles!:mad:

dented likes this.
  14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My music room is about the same size. I sit directly across from the amps, or I stand. I can play fairly loud because luckily all the nearby neighbors have those good double or triple pane windows, except for me.

I have a nice Bluetooth speaker in the cabinet next to the amps, so when I'm on the couch I can play backing tracks from YouTube on my phone, to the Bluetooth speaker.

20210226_141923.jpg

15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I play sitting on my bed, which is mattresses on the floor with no frame or box spring. My array of amps sits three feet in front of me, facing me. This is an older pic. The Blackstar Fly is gone, and there have been two THR10Cs added to the left and right
    101_0211.JPG

Fretting out likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Your room is about the same size as my home office. I've got two walls setup with my workspace, one end with 4 computers and the other end with my guitar workbench with my table for amps and effects in the middle. It's a bit of a mess right now though since I'm getting another bedroom (my son's old room) remodeled as my new office.

20210226_160125.jpg

17. sax4blues

Well that took about two minutes :( I rearranged putting the amp (1x12 combo) next to me on the floor facing across the room. My first impression was the predominate sound in my right ear. There was of course some reflection from the room but it was very much a one sided affair. Next thing was proximity, moving from 12 feet away to literally 18 inches. Even at low volume, and I don't play loud very often, I felt the sound hitting my ear very pointed, almost immediate fatigue.

So it's back across the room, experiment is always good for learning how things work.

For the Reverend, you're my hero, that's how I envision my house. Nobody else here has the same vision.

Milspec likes this.
  18. sax4blues

This what I’m back to.
    6E86A50D-5DE2-4B43-895F-CA18F7EE6F7A.jpeg

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My amp is 3 feet away from where I sit in front of my computer for recording. You can almost see the Focusrite Scarlett behind my water bottle. I have found this to be most efficient. I have close access to the amp (and mic stand when I am recording).
    (Ignore the bass. It was resting there because I just finished some direct recording into the DAW)
    tempImageJlE2rC.png

jchinkley and 41144 like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Got my Champion 50XL by my side of the bed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.