Bedroom Practice Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by absurdplanet, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

After reading your post I rad the line out from my DA5 into my Epi Valve Jr combo's input and really liked the sound. It seemed to warm it up a bit. My question is: Is this ok for the Epi?

2. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

I agree, I love mine.

3. booncrusher2000

booncrusher2000 Tele-Meister

i have an amp in just about every room of my house ...i play in my big country kitchen a crate v33-head through a 4x12 celest cab a black heart handsome devil 15( i play it most) a blackheart little giant 5 (too loud for house too) all heads!! i have a fender 2x12 ultimate chorus 160watts?? i think.........real loud!! i have a ram 20 solid state practice amp, for the tv room i have a (dont laugh!!!) first act mini 3watt (4'' speaker) that i drive with a tube screamer runs on a car cig lighter..sounds fuzzy cool ........??? uh i need a head phone amp cuz my wife and kids dont appreciate all the country and classic rock stuff that i am always grinding away at.......peace...........rock on

4. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Vox AC4TV, for the win.

[​IMG]

At 1/4 watt, it's quieter than my Pignose 7-100, which is, after all, a ten-watt amp.

5. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Killer Ant.

6. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

I'll give a +1 to Doc's recommendation of the Killer Ant. I just got one last week along with the BH110 cab. Can't stop playing.

7. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I don't think people believe me when I tell them I spend more time playing at home through my Pignose than all of my other amps combined, but it's the truth. I don't need nor want all of the effects, just my guitar a little louder. If I want to "model" another amp, I'll just open the cabinet. If I want a wah-wah, I'll get my wife to open and close it. :lol:

8. teletiger

teletiger TDPRI Member

my vox ac4tv just arrived..YES!!!

9. Dan_in_WI

Dan_in_WI Tele-Meister

I've heard great things about tech 21 Trademark 10 which is no longer in production.

I have the tech 21 power engine hooked up to a digitech GNX4 which works alright.

The Korg px4 is great for headphones. Looping works well with an external source like a CD player.

The tascam GT1 is cool for looping and pitch change but the tone is horrible. I'll sell you mine.

I have been thinking a laptop with Mtraxx and amplitube or the native instruments would be a perfect portable practice set up. Use monitors or headphones.

My $.02.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The clean channel of the Cube 20X is effectively the front end of the JC120. It also has 'acoustic', 'overdrive', 'distortion', 'metal', 'metal stack' and 'tube drive' which covers the usual suspects of blackface, tweed and co. Plus the FX are Roland/Boss. And there's a tunerizator. The power sqweezer drops it from 20W to 2W. 'nuff said.

11. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Ha! I've done two 2204 half-stacks in my bedroom!

...But now it's a Vox AC30 Amplug, or yes, my Pathfinder 15R - which is on the disabled list right now because I snapped the reverb pot right off the PCB. I'm pretty sure I can fix it, but I've got to order the new one because Radio Shack only sells cell phones and crappy plastic toys nowadays. :rolleyes:

12. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 "bedroom amps"

a Vibro-Champ

[​IMG]

a Vox AC-4

[​IMG]

and a VOX Pathfinder

[​IMG]

13. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Champion 600 RI with a delay pedal and Bad Monkey. I can use the Monkey to control tone and OD. Sounds great at low vol and doesn't scare the animals!

Vox Amplug AC30 with headphones + MP3 player for jamming loud with records. The controls are fiddly and it takes some effort to balance them to get a good sound but when you do get there it's pretty good. Sounds better with Custom II P90s, CV sounds a bit thin.

14. PMan

PMan TDPRI Member

Man, I came into this thread pleased as could be with the Fender Frontman 25R I got a few months ago for low volume and headphone use. To my ears it's got fantastic Fender clean tone, and the distortion channel is okay-not-great.

Haven't seen the Frontman series mentioned at all in this thread. Is it because they actually suck and I just don't recognize it? Though, I will say that the Frontman 10 and 15 were definitely no-go's for me.

Guess I'll have to seek out and try some of these other amps to see how they compare.

Also, yeah, those Vox amPlugs are nifty little things. Certainly wouldn't replace an actual amp, but for what it is, it'll do in a pinch.

15. brownshoe

brownshoe Tele-Afflicted

Allright, what's goin on with that monkey in the middle there? This is family show. :lol:
    Note to self: Get mind out of gutter.

I think I see a Beverly Hillbillies collection on the right. I love that show!

All my amps could be called "bedroom" amps. I have attenuators with headphone jacks.

16. Guinness

Guinness Tele-Meister

The question is: What amp do you play at home at TV volume or in the bedroom?
    Slightly tweaked 70's Fender Champ

What's your 'low volume' practice amp?
    Fender G-DEC 30 (the best PRACTICE amp out there if you askin' me)

What would you suggest other than what I just mentioned?
    Whatever tickles your fancy!

Good luck!

~Randy

17. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Vibro Champ + AC4TV is a great bedroom combination!

[​IMG]

18. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

I really like my Carvin V-16. It has a switch for 5/16 watts. I always get compliments when I play it out. It has been in use for about 8 years and it just works.

19. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

AC4TV for me....perfect! You can get loud if you want and keep it queit if you want too. Not to mention the fact that it sounds great! Highly recommended!

20. bloos66

bloos66 TDPRI Member

I am using a Roland Cube 30x for bedroom use, the Tweed channel sounds great, and the power-throttling switch works great as well. Lately I've been using it with headphones to give the neighbours a break. Great amp.

The other one I use is the Vox amPlug which I quite like as well (AC30 model). Sounds pretty good through cheap earphones and a bit better through decent headphones. Great for practising outdoors.

And for a bit of variety, I also have a Line6 TonePort UX2 which I run either through small active monitor speakers or headphones. Great for a variety of sounds, and if I use it through Garageband, adding drum loops makes practicing just that much more fun...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.