Bedroom Players? what Amp or fx unit do you use?

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
Depends...top is octal pre pp6v6, middle se6L6, bottom is a muchxs Champ out to a small stable of spkrs.
Tube buffered pedal board with the ability to punch in an old Tonelab. Everything can go to one/or two of the amps or small mixer to small powered spkrs or headphones.
pedboard.jpg

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hotone Mojo Diamond. Fuzz>Distortion>Boost into the amp, Delay>Trem in the FX loop. All sitting on the table in front of my beloved PRII which is much too loud for a basement suite.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I live in Florida and when it rains, it can be intense. My dog - 8yr old Male Shi-Tzu - runs the house through the use of sideways looks of disapproval and low grumbling sounds. I can not get him to "want" to be in my studio, bedroom or anywhere else when it rains. He has determined that the Gym room is the only "safe" space in the house apparently. So since I can not leave a rig in that room, for wife reasons... I created what she has dubbed "Voyager" (she is a sci-fi nerd deep in her heart).

So this is the distilled essence of my studio practice room, scaled down to a kitchen cart. The lower shelves have velcro strips, and it is kinda wonderful to have all that space to play with pedal order, and mostly do any work or playing from a seated position.

Bike rack hooks through the front port of the monitors give them a lift up, but more importantly they prevent them from coming off the cart and falling on my foot while moving. The AmpMan is locked down with dual lock in the same way.

The AmperoII is touchscreen and has a VERY good UI. After I got it, I sold my Boss Core 1000 and my HX stomp and bought a second AmperoII. It does everything I need it to do, and I have never plugged in a PC. My absolute favorite MFX, at any price.

.... yes the Joyo clone pedals are very nice IMHO - I own many, and duplicates of some. The compressor is the real "sleeper" of the bunch. I do not keep it always on, but any time I am playing clean-ish, it is smoothing out my sound nicely. Yes, the Route 66 feeds into the other compressor, two flavors for two different gain approaches. Route 66 is also an awesome buffer post Fuzz.

The H&K is very good, but it is not all that it claims to be. I use it in the same way that I might use a Simplifier pedal. Mono signal goes to the AmperoII which does IR/spk emulation, stereo reverbs and EQ room/loudness compensation for 3 preset levels of loudness, dialed into the presets set up for the AmperoII with the volume knob at 100%.

So, the upside to this rig is, all the tone stuff is analog. It has so many knobs, and no need for an app of any kind. The Joyo pedals are a ton of fun to stack and they hit the H&K in a very musical way. No amp modeling in the DSP, just EQ and Time effects. Line in and headphones out on the AmperoII for when even the nearfields are to loud.

Strip of velcro in front of the monitors holds any pedal I am mucking with in place when I need to move one room to another.
When not in use, the cart rolls into an unused closet.

Voyager1.jpg

LowHeadRoom

TDPRI Member
I'll probably get flack for saying this but.. I have a few nice tube amps. But my favorite practice amp is my Fender Mustang GT40.

I am a tube amp fanatic, but when it's time to just enjoy playing and experimenting, that amp has everything.

All the pedals you could want are in it as well, and you can use it as a loop station. It's crazy that folks hate on these! I feel like the larger 2 x 12 version would be the perfect gigging amp. I don't even know why you would want a Tonemaster if you could have all of the Tonemaster amps in one... which is what the Mustang series is.

But that's just me. Cool discussion. Thanks for the topic!

The amp family:

Custom Deluxe 5e3 , Fender Mustang GT40, Crate VC50, Ampeg Gemini VI.

1660690356587.png

Last edited:

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have two man-caves where I do almost all of my playing these days. One at home in Pennsylvania, where I spend 8-9 months per year, has a Roland Blues Cube Hot that I play either on 0.5 watts or 5 watts. And we spend winters in North Carolina in a rental unit near our daughter’s family - there I have a Blackstar HT1R that I leave at my daughter’s place when we’re not there. I have a small pedal board that I take with me between PA and Carolina. The Blues Cube is a better sounding amp, but the Blackstar is a better fit for my small space in Carolina…

-Ray

Robnik33

TDPRI Member
I’m a huge fan of a well executed master volume that allows you to dial in any amount of distortion at bedroom levels.

I converted a solid state Fender Sidekick 12” to a tube Princeton Reverb delete (3 gain stages, no reverb, wouldn’t fit, use a True Spring pedal instead). I added a midrange control and pre phase inverter master volume. Totally changes the usability, dial in the distortion you want from the regular volume and midrange knobs, then set the master for loudness. Turn the master all the way up and midrange down, back to a normal Princeton. No external attenuator needed.

Just need to complete the faceplate, a year later …

DBF4723E-1E67-498C-B560-96B75BAA389D.jpeg
1F21C92B-7146-43E9-AAE3-DEA0AA528CA2.jpeg

Last edited:

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I've been developing a system over the last 20 years that keeps things simple but lets me practice any time I feel like it. The amp/effects for guitar is a 16 year old Vox Tone Lab. It connected to a 8 channel Alto mixer whose output runs to an even older Kenwood 6160 receiver (remember the 60's). That receiver allows me to go for either a speaker or headphone monitoring system. Also connected to the mixer is a CD rack, a turntable, and my laptop, letting me play along, any time, any volume.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I've been developing a system over the last 20 years that keeps things simple but lets me practice any time I feel like it. The amp/effects for guitar is a 16 year old Vox Tone Lab. It connected to a 8 channel Alto mixer whose output runs to an even older Kenwood 6160 receiver (remember the 60's). That receiver allows me to go for either a speaker or headphone monitoring system. Also connected to the mixer is a CD rack, a turntable, and my laptop, letting me play along, any time, any volume.

Tonelabs are an underrated gem. What model?

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
The Boss GT-3 and Boss GT-5 are my main Multi FX units and I still think they sound amazing today -- especially the dirt sounds. There is loads of programmability options in a single patch. I use both units with extra external expression and control pedals that gives me a lot of control parameters that can be adjusted in real time while playing.

I also have one of the plastic-housed Korg G3s which Dimebag used to endorse in the '90s. I got that for nearly nothing as it was covered in grime with crackly pots but I restored it. It's neither bad nor great.

I have never taken any of them out of the house.

Last edited:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Me: Vox Vt40+ combo, Line 6 Spider combo,

Blackstar HT1 Guitar Amp​

Line 6 Pod 2.0 & Zoom G1X4 pedal.
Headphones keep all quiet..
When no one’s home, I use my Magnatone Twiligher. A very loud 22w. When folks are home, I now use my Victoria 518. Used to be an Orange Crush 10, but that’s relegated to my workbench now.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
A WEM Westminster since about 1976. 10 watt valve. Lately added a Champ, but I guess I'm used to the sound of my WEM. I'm not big on pedals. A bit of reverb and an old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal.

I used to get by with a Trace Elliot BLX 150 for home bass playing, but now it's just a stand for my Phil Jones Double Four. Huge sound from 2x4" speakers - and yes I was really sceptical too, until I tried it. The PJB Bass Buddy is a great headphone amp. 20201127_095435.jpg

G Stone496

TDPRI Member
Me: Vox Vt40+ combo, Line 6 Spider combo,

Blackstar HT1 Guitar Amp​

Line 6 Pod 2.0 & Zoom G1X4 pedal.
Headphones keep all quiet..
For “bedroom” playing I use a Fender ‘57 Champ reissue 5 watt all tube, 8” speaker and 2 inputs. A Harmony 8418 reissue 5 watt tube amp with 6” speaker also with 2 inputs. A Monoprice 5 watt tube amp reducible to 1 watt with an 8” speaker, one input and an 8-16 ohm extension speaker out. And a Crate VC-508 5 watt 8” tube combo with one input and a line out.

A1009D84-25AA-4611-AF32-72FFE9B1D5F2.jpeg
286A29AD-FBC7-47E6-906F-4D5BE5266D51.jpeg
134EDF3D-AE9E-402C-9AD1-CBEE08882304.jpeg
6553EBEC-AC3F-468B-8643-1E5AE09683E9.jpeg

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
If I'm playing quiter after the kids are in bed it would be my old Magnatone 431 or Swart AST Master combo. Otherwise the family all know if I'm in the studio not to open the door without ear protection.
20220529_223117.jpg