Bedroom level playing, what the heck is that?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I fall into the school of keeping my guitar playing and all the chops I'm currently working on "top secret " :p
I haven't met a non musician yet that would have the patience to listen too me work on getting a few new things under my fingers as I work my way up to getting my playing and fingering clean and the things I'm working on played at a respectable tempo.

If such a person does exist I'm sure they are gonna tap out once I put my new licks through a few keys and a number of octaves :eek:

My dog happens to get hazard pay as part of his job description and duties ...other people don't and I don't want to end up on their radar .;)
If the shoe was on the other foot , I sure would not like having to listen to someone else .....apt life is what it is ....

Kenny

Zappa's ghost wants to hire you for guitar stunts!

I gotta say, while I'm always working on cleaning up my articulation, I'm way way way more interested in a player that pushes it past the point of perfect articulation, and never exclaim: "Wow that guy sounds just like a typewriter!".
Kind of sucks some of the life out of music when the player is repeating stuff 1000 times (in the woodshed) to eliminate all chance of mistakes. For me at least.
Danger is exciting.
Guitar with seat belts and air bags not so much.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I haven't met a non musician yet that would have the patience to listen too me work on getting a few new things under my fingers as I work my way up to getting my playing and fingering clean on all the things I'm working on played at a respectable tempo.

Kenny

For some reason, that reminded me of when I was a kid, trying to sleep while my dad would be going through his five finger exercises and working out some Rachmaninov concerto phrase by phrase on his baby grand piano on the other side of the wall. And he’d complain about me playing guitar! At least a guitar amp can be turned down (except I was a teenager back then so volume was digital; far too loud for dad, or off.

I try to keep my home playing down nowadays. Just round the point where I have to push my voice when singing is fine - kinda the volume I get when strumming my acoustics. That keeps the neighbours happy on the other side of the shared wall, and keeps the wife and kids from getting too grumpy.

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
I used to love to crank my Super Reverb...7.5 is the sweet spot and also painfully loud in a night club. But it is wonderful to feel the power, to move some air, get that full out, glowing tube, sweetly distorted, hand-wired glory of a sound.
But then when I was getting paid to play I had to tame my impulses (with some difficulty) and learn to play to the room. And to play to the audience/listeners.

If I'm performing to an audience then I play at "right" volume levels for the room size and acoustics as well as what the audience expects (listening, dancing, jamming).

In a bedroom playing to the room means I most likely have only unintentional and maybe unwilling listeners. So I keep it to conversational or acoustic levels. Life is easier and after a misspent youth cranking a BFSR I'm a lot more careful about my hearing.

Eastbound71

TDPRI Member
I just got a mustang micro, the little headphone amp. Gotta say, I like it sometimes when I can keep my playing to myself. At times, I just dont really want other people listening