Bedroom level playing, what the heck is that?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Red Ryder, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Everyone seems to be concerned about playing to loud, the neighbors, the wife, the cops, the kid, the cat, the dog, whatever. The trend towards low watt amps and attenuators. The only time I thought just maybe I should have been cool with the volume is when I blew an $800 window out of the house. That is what a 300 watt 8×10 bass amp will do. Now when the glass starts to rattle or things fall off the wall I may turn down a little or open the window. I never hear anyone complaining. What do you consider too loud?

Alex_C, Maguchi, Jared Purdy and 5 others like this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

If other people in the building ask you to turn down. Do you play the TV at maximum volume when you watch it?

irie, RomanS, cbnutt and 10 others like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

When the wife's Fenton and the shotglasses in the dining room cabinet start dancing, Its too loud.

Our house has a neighbor on the west, 12' gap between houses. He's cool, never a problem. Eastward is vacant spot from house burning down before we moved in. Then ally before next house, so more that 70'. More than 100' from house to next street over past rear (northern face) ally.
    The one guy close enough to be bothered isn't, and I'd turn down if he was. He's more likely to ask to come listen out of boredom.

So, if I had better windows I'd have to dime the 75w amp to get noticed.

Wife and kids complain sometimes, but I remind them I don't complain about thier crafts(which I get roped into helping with...)and video games so they can either grab a guitar or stop complaining.

Maguchi and Red Ryder like this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

We're a family of 7 living in pretty typical suburban America. "Too loud" when my son or I are playing around the house is when others in the house can't carry a conversation, watch their stream, etc. It's also very dependent on time of day. We can get pretty rowdy at 2:00 pm on a Saturday afternoon but 8:30 pm on a school night needs to be pretty tame. So far we haven't had a complaint from a neighbor. My son's band has space at a friend's house to rehearse at volume which certainly helps alleviate the need to get too loud around here.

5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A few years ago I got into it w/ the bass and ignored Mrs Deeve's complaint, but then saw the volume frightened my daughter and she cried. :cry:
    Jeebus, I felt like a royal d#ck for that - never did that again.:oops:

OmegaWoods, Flip G, richiek65 and 6 others like this.
  6. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

I guess this question isn't really fair as I live 18miles from town in farm country. Sometimes I have to listen to the neighbors tractors and they have to listen to rock and roll, it equals out.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I grew up as the oldest in a family of 7 at my dad's, the band practiced in the garage. Saturdays after 1pm were always going to be loud. Designated time helped. Sometimes went until 10. We got the closest neighbor to drum with us a few times when the drummer went awol.
    Siblings had mixed feelings. Stepbrother cranked his games happily without anyone noticing. Stepsister was mad at her friends telling her "you're brothers hot" and went elsewhere lots of Saturdays......
    At my mom's, good windows and distant (older than 60) neighbors meant I never had problems. A well insulated house and modern windows are huge.

It is a pain when someone has a headache on music day in a big house though....

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I restrict my volume to what I can comfortably sing over without a mic. I developed that skill singing in college coffee houses in the late ‘60s singing without a PA over a Les Paul into a Gemini VI. Now my wife complains that I sing too loud.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    adjason, Beakybird, Flip G and 7 others like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I live in a manufactured home. I play at a level probably equivalent to people talking loudly, so I don't get complaints. Better for my ears too.

bblumentritt, Flip G, radtz and 4 others like this.
  10. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

What other people are in your building, why are they there, what are they doing, can't you tell them to home?

11. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Louis Armstrong: "If you have to ask, you'll never know..."

Or at least you won't be able to hear the replies. :):):)

sax4blues likes this.
  12. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

My wife
    My wife was saying saying something the other day------ I don't know.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are fortunate to have so much space around you... I live in a tiny 19th century stone-built terraced house with a party wall only one brick thick. I like my neighbours, we get on fine, and I am happy to don headphones if I want to play loud when recording... why would you want to play that loud anyway?

teletail, howardlo and ieatlions like this.
  14. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Had a good ol boy come down to the farm one day while we were cooking on the smoker playing some Beach Boys. When he got out of the truck I could tell he was a little upset, so handed him a beer and started playing some Buck Owens. He joined the party.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's too loud when my wife complains she can't hear Really Drunk Housewives on the downstairs TV when I'm playing upstairs.

telemnemonics, radtz and Maguchi like this.
  16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Don't do it all the time but there are those days when it just feels good. And sometimes we like to have a pasture party. Everyone's invited, there's plenty of food, drink, music and good times for everyone.

Maguchi and tintag27 like this.
  17. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

That's great, I call them Big Boob Bimbos of Wherever. If you put your guitar down and go join her, she will soon grow tired of your smart#@s remarks and tell you to go back in your room and play your guitar. Works for me.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's a lot different when you live in an apartment. Anything over normal TV, or conversation volume is too loud.

I don't appreciate loud neighbors, so I try to not be one.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

I am fortunate. I have a dedicated room off of the garage, out in the back of the house for my loud playing and vintage audiophile listening. I did a quasi-sound proofing which keeps the majority of the sound in the room.

tintag27 likes this.
  20. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Holic

With that back story, no wonder no one complains, they're all deaf by now I would think. :D

Fiesta Red, G3Hanz, richiek65 and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.