Beck DOES remember how to use a pick...

fendertx

Poster Extraordinaire
If all aliens are like Jeff Beck bring on their invasions. Guitars and hot rods , we could do worse. Great clips by the way.

TelePhartz

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, with that retro twangy stuff you almost gotta have the pick.

That Tele is nice but I'd sure like a JB Strat in my collection.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Volume swells and whammy at the same time... Yep, he's a freaking alien.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I was glad to see that those two potted plants to the right of the stage woke up for the other tunes.......Beck loves the old stuff and can really nail something when he goes after it. Like the Les Paul tribute.... just amazing...

Gnobuddy

Friend of Leo's
That's because Jeff Beck is an alien. Earthlings can't do the things that he can...
That sounds about right to me. The guy is truly awe-inspiring, and may be the most accomplished guitar player I've ever seen.

A few years ago I bought a DVD of Jeff Beck performing with Imelda May, in honour of Les Paul. This one: Amazon.com: Rock & Roll Party: Honoring Les Paul: Jeff Beck: Movies & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51mR8NuJpML

Watching the one single show featured on the DVD is like attending a chronological history lesson of guitar playing. Beck demonstrates a complete mastery of every style of electric guitar and every style of electric guitar playing from 1950's rockabilly all the way to 80's jazzy fusion, and then beyond to the unearthly whale-song and other noises that only Beck can get out of a 'Strat.

I really wonder if any other guitarist could nail so many different techniques and musical styles so well in one single evening. What Beck did at that show is absolutely incredible.

Oh yeah, Brian Setzer showed up for a couple of songs - and held his own with Jeff Beck, trading rapid-fire rockabilly solos, which is no small feat. But only in Setzer's own favoured style, rockabilly.

It's weird. I'm in awe of Jeff Beck's abilities as a guitar player and musician. But I still don't like most of his own music. I guess much of the public has the same reaction, which is why lesser guitar talents of the same era went on to become far richer and far more famous.

-Gnobuddy

Del Pickup

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way about JB.

I can appreciate the exceptional skills he has but I just don't 'get' his music. It leaves me cold. While he's clearly not in the mould of the 'all technique, no feel' players who just shred and show off how many different techniques they can fit into any given piece of music, I've never enjoyed listening to any of his albums.

There, I've said it........!!

stankepanck

Tele-Holic
I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way about JB.

I can appreciate the exceptional skills he has but I just don't 'get' his music. It leaves me cold. While he's clearly not in the mould of the 'all technique, no feel' players who just shred and show off how many different techniques they can fit into any given piece of music, I've never enjoyed listening to any of his albums.

There, I've said it........!!

Agreed. I dont get it either. I dont mind watching the shows though. That girl that he has playin bass with him is smokin!

Del Pickup

Poster Extraordinaire
Actually, she leaves me cold as well!! I first saw her when JB was playing on one of the Crossroads dvds (was it the 2007 or 2010 version?) and that whole band just left me feeling like they were all technique and no substance. It seemed to be all facial contortions and technique from most of them. Maybe it's cos I just don't get that jazzy vibe they seemed to be aiming for.

Having said that, I thought that his appearance on a Crossroads dvd when he played 'Nessum Dorma' was very good. And I do like his rockabilly stuff.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Actually, she leaves me cold as well!! I first saw her when JB was playing on one of the Crossroads dvds (was it the 2007 or 2010 version?) and that whole band just left me feeling like they were all technique and no substance. It seemed to be all facial contortions and technique from most of them. Maybe it's cos I just don't get that jazzy vibe they seemed to be aiming for.

Having said that, I thought that his appearance on a Crossroads dvd when he played 'Nessum Dorma' was very good. And I do like his rockabilly stuff.

Beck is an interesting one for me. If I see him on TV or stumble across a video online I'll watch with great interest, but he's not someone that I pay much attention to on a regular basis.

musicalmartin

Poster Extraordinaire
You guys just dont get it do you .All it means is that he has FOUND a pick on the floor after years of looking .Thats how all us finger pickers go back to a pick for while .We soon loose it again and back to the fingers which tend to be more easily found .