Beautiful vintage Tele on Reverb

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by a.francis.1968, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My week old partscaster tele is already in worse condition than that.:oops:

ben smith likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I would say 79/80 even 81.

Sienna and cherrry burst was more common from 79, seen 82 dead like that.

Only thing that gives me a qualm is the wbw pickguard, but that could even have been done in the shop before purchase.

Everything else about it - bridge with patent, headstock, post-74 body shape, slight imperfection of gang drilling of ferrules is typical late CBS.

They were not selling many standard Teles come early 80s, bits hung around a long, long time.

It could be a dog to play but nothing, a good setup can't fix, but I think it's a goer at a realistic price/condition compared to moonshot asks.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  3. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Wow, the shape of those bodies in the mid- to late 70s *really* drifted. The upper curve on that 78 Tele looks like it was shaped by a worker on a Friday afternoon eager to clock off. :eek:

ben smith likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its hard sometimes to spot a refin in pics, if its a really good refin. You can tell better in person. As far as the condition for 40 years old, I have seen, on rare occasion, a certified 40+ year old instrument that still had the new look, and yes it always looks suspicious, but eventually validated. I notice there are some cheaper ones on Reverb too, in player condition. Here's their trend plot:

upload_2019-12-11_5-24-52.png

PS - I avoid super clean vintage stuff, because I can't make myself play them out for fear of damage and wear. I tend to like the players, refins, repairs, etc.

5. Dacious

That's the issue I have. Rather have a player, then I can pot pickups go four-way, refret if needed, use a chainsaw case etc.

ben smith likes this.
  6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

hahaha

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

I think it was the colour that had me wondering and would like to reiterate that in no way am I calling the seller out or accusing him of dishonesty on that guitar just looking for more detail as I am looking to purchase another guitar and have seen a few online am looking for vintage in the best condition and will probably have to buy online but these late 70s chunky lump serial numbers have got me stumped! My first Tele was a burgundy 78 and that was a heft indeed and I am looking to relive that time with another Tele, how do you keep something so immaculate for 40 years? Heres another one
    https://reverb.com/item/27883570-fender-telecaster-1977-black

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender went back to w/b/w in 1981 on the "International Colors" Strats and then for almost all Strat colors in 1982 (exception was natural finish), and the Lead series went to white plastics in 1982 as well. I wasn't really following Teles then but I would have to assume that they followed suit for 1982 with white plastics for most colors. I've also seen a few "International Colors" set Teles from 1981 that had the w/b/w pickguards.

9. Dacious

Yep looking at some listings I think you're right. Gets confusing because the owners themselves get muddled by the S8.

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I know - it seems like every Tele is a "1978" and every Strat is a "1979" - because they don't keep records (if they are the original owner), open them up and check dates, etc. They just go by the decal on the headstock.

11. Dacious

Post -73 CBS introduced pin routers that followed a template. Before that the bodies were made by bandsaw then manual table rout like you'd do at home.

The pin routers couldn't follow the top bout curve accurately. You also got Mickey Mouse ears in the neck pocket, same reason.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Too expensive anyway!

13. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

Telecasters from the late 70s have certainly rocketed in price in the last few years, unfortunately, I am not sure if people are fooling themselves that they should be that valuable or am I fooling myself in thinking that's worth the money. Id ask the wife but shed get suspicious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.