1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beato does Top 10 underrated guitar solos of all time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by buster poser, Nov 10, 2020.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I knew this was gonna be a good list when it started off with some King's X.

Enjoy! (?)

2. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Man one of my favorites. Used to be a big King's X fan back in the day. They were such a great live show as well.

tah1962, Bassman8 and Torren61 like this.
  3. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Running with the Night was one of my first favorite songs as a kid. That album was the first one I ever borrowed from a friend and dubbed the cassette tape on my double cassette boom box. Great solo!

matty428 and Torren61 like this.
  4. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So happy to see "Happy" in there. In my Stones Top 3.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

One thing that annoys me about The Edge, The Edge,The Edge,The Edge,The Edge,The Edge,The Edge...

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

No audio at work, does it include "Easy" by The Commodores, or "Goodbye to Love" by The Carpenters?

7. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Bob Dylan One top many mornings

8. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank heavens he included an Elliot Easton solo in there. I love how he plays.

9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Two of my favorite "unsung" guitar solos:

This first one from Queensryche is understated, but powerful- I always caught a lot of flak for listening to these guys back in the early '90s when grunge was the cool thing, but I love 'em (solo at ~3:35)

This next solo by Jim Mankey in Concrete Blonde is also one of my favorites- you should check them out if you've never listened to them- one of the best bands of the late 80s and early 90s. Lots of his trademark whammy bar work and bends (solo at ~2:30):

10. buster poser

Great call on Easy. There's a Lionel song in there (#1!) no Carpenters tho.
    Same, we played this one more times than I can count in HS pop group. Need to re-learn that solo as it's a flippin' great one, exactly what a solo should be to me... short, keying off the changes, beginning-middle-end phrasing.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  11. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

That was really cool.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. buster poser

Big fan of Concrete Blonde, saw 'em live a few years ago. That track is the first I heard by them way back when. They have never stopped being great (and tremendous live)

electrichead and jman72 like this.
  13. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Almost too simple to be called a guitar solo, but Steve Cropper's break in "Chinese Checkers" blew my 17 year old SRV-loving mind.
    Aha! A solo can be made of anything. It just has to work. An invaluable lesson (whether I remember it all the time or not is another matter).

Teddyjack, E5RSY, Manual Slim and 2 others like this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I hate U2 but I gotta admit New Year’s Day is both a great song and great solo.

my personal fave underrated solos...

super lyrical and great tone on this Japanese new wave classic:

everything Adrian Belew did on this record/tour is better than the rest of his career:

nirvana trying to shred is also pretty great:

but the stain solo is really well crafted:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  15. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

You gotta give it up for New Years Day though. The guitar solo in that song is perfect by every definition of a great guitar solo. Also, I know its fun and easy to bag on The Edge, but the man is very very adept at getting good guitar sounds and this song is no exception.

16. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

YES. James Mankey is an absolutely criminally underrated guitar player. Criminally I tells ya’......

David Barnett and jman72 like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. In have always thought that Shake it Up and Just What I Needed were perfect solos. Technically fantastic, and musically so melodic. The best.

notroHnhoJ and SRHmusic like this.
  18. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I'm subscribed to Beato's channel, but lately he's become a sort of Dr. Oz of music related stuff for me. Becoming a little annoyed by those 'know it all' analyses, opinions on everything, long winded autobiographical notes, new video each day, promoting Beato Bible' all the time...
    I think I prefer those 'Produce Like a pro' and Recording revolution' guys more. Less pretentious.

SRHmusic, marc2211 and JRapp like this.
  19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Tom Sholz solo sounds like pretty much any generic LA Session solo from the hair metal days, its just really slick and processed. In fact, Its not that far from Steve Lukather's solo later in the video.

This solo from the Edge was a pretty good sampling of his solo playing at that time and it was an effective break in the song, but I'm kinda surprised he looked there when he's talking about underrated guitar solos. I thought Edge's work on the Achtung Baby album was probably more interesting and was shrouded in much more guitar muscle than you'd think on first notice. I probably would have picked the solo from Acrobat.

Also, at the risk of committing even more heresy in one post, Keith's solo sounded like something my kid would come up with while noodling along to a song. It sounded like a placeholder that was overlooked in later overdubs. I know we are all required to revere Keef, but I don't think this one would qualify as "a moment" in his guitar catalog. FWIW.

And of all the great things that the Beatles did, mismanaging Badfinger has to be one of their greatest disasters. I really feel sorry for that band. James Taylor was smart to get away from those fools when he did.

Cesspit, richiek65 and Macrogats like this.
  20. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Not Denny Laine...it was Jimmy McCullough

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.