1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beatles -Sgt. Pepper Fuzz

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jaxson612, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Tele-Meister

The recent fuzz post got me wondering- anyone know what fuzz the Beatles were using back then?

2. ObjectBlue

ObjectBlue Tele-Meister

I know on the earlier stuff the distortion came from them cranking the gain on the mixer after the guys in the lab coats left for the night. They were sneaky.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I know the Beatles got their distortion a few different ways; cranking their amps, slamming the tube inputs of the recording with Gain (Revolution) and the two fuzzes that come up (but have no idea what they were really used on, as according to the Beatles Gear Book, effects would be used on demos but maybe not on the finished song) are the Vox Tone Bender, and the Maestro Fuzz-Tone ( reference: Satisfaction, Incense and Peppermint)

4. Jackson

Jackson Tele-Meister

The fuzz on "Revolution" is an overdriven mixing console.
    John had a Maestro fuzz as early as "With the Beatles", but George Martin forbade it's use.
    There were some Arbiter Fuzzfaces around in the post-India years.
    I'm not sure but I think they had effects in a couple of the Vox amps too, and people around 'em making custom equipment.
    There's a book that describes all of there guitars and gear if you can find it, alot of fun for a Beatles fan.

5. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

A lot of the Revolver/Sgt. Pepper fuzz is the built in fuzztones on the hybrid and solid-state Vox Conqueror an 7120 amps they were using.

6. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Not to hijack, but do you think the Maestro was the "White Album" fuzz or is it an early Tone Bender? Sorry, I'm just obssesing over this lately

7. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Paul recorded the electric guitar solos on "Good Morning, Good Morning" and "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" with a Fender Esquire through a Selmer Thunderbird amp.
    -Beatles Gear, pp. 203.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.