Beatles- Get Back Documentary

gmann

Friend of Leo's
I for one, liked the songs George brought to the band. It’s not like John showed up with a bunch of stuff. I Dig A Pony is certainly not one of his better songs and I personally find Don’t Let Me Down to be very repetitious although I do like it. George should have pushed harder instead of at one point saying he didn’t want to do any of his stuff on the live show. I Me Mine starts out slow but really picks up in the chorus as the studio version recorded a yr later shows, without any help fm John. He should have used his coming back as a bargaining chip to get his songs in. You’ll notice that Paul isn’t quite so bossy in the 2nd part.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
It wasn't quite as painfully obvious as it was in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but man, are they clearly headed for a divorce. Paul is trying to work. John doesn't want to be there and acts out constantly. Paul and John barely acknowledge George. Ringo is Ringo, god bless him.

Interesting new data about Yoko. My take was that John is 100% responsible for her being there attached at the hip. She has no business being there in the band circle, and her mere presence feels disruptive just on screen. But that's all on John. There's no sign that Yoko was inserting herself into the creative process, as has often been alleged. He appears to be using her as an emotional crutch. He doesn't seem well (emotionally, drugs, whatever). George doesn't look too good, either.

one thought I had about the Yoko 'thing'.... If I were an aspiring artist (or an established artist as Yoko was, I think, at least in Japan) and I was suddenly 'friends' with one of the most powerful artists in the world, someone who, love them or hate them, you could not ignore John Lennon... if you had the opportunity to go watch his creative process, who wouldn't say 'I'd love to hang around and watch'?

In my teens, I got the chance to see several really big bands rehearse and record and while I was kind of interested in the social aspect, I wish I had taken more time to watch the process. So, I cannot fault Yoko for wanting to hang around... especially considering we are all happy to spend 8 hours watching someone watch them do just that.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
The Beatles were easily the biggest influence for me. They were the reason I picked up a guitar. I would do all Beatle days at my restaurant, and the younger kids were simply amazed at their body of work. I am not knocking those who don't care for them, hell, we all have different tastes. It's what makes a world.

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
Just watched part 2. I like how John takes over in the studio. Paul even tells him he is the boss. The Beatles changed everything for me, even though I was bit late to the show... age wise.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Just watched part 2. I like how John takes over in the studio. Paul even tells him he is the boss. The Beatles changed everything for me, even though I was bit late to the show... age wise.

I just watched an hour and a half a part 2 (3 hours total) and I'll watch the rest later. I won't do any spoilers, but it picks up. Also Tele content.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
It wasn't quite as painfully obvious as it was in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but man, are they clearly headed for a divorce. Paul is trying to work. John doesn't want to be there and acts out constantly. Paul and John barely acknowledge George. Ringo is Ringo, god bless him.

Interesting new data about Yoko. My take was that John is 100% responsible for her being there attached at the hip. She has no business being there in the band circle, and her mere presence feels disruptive just on screen. But that's all on John. There's no sign that Yoko was inserting herself into the creative process, as has often been alleged. He appears to be using her as an emotional crutch. He doesn't seem well (emotionally, drugs, whatever). George doesn't look too good, either.
According to wiki, yoko had a miscarriage the previous October and john seemed to be getting stuck into heroin.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Writing from my failing memory, I seem to recall Geoff Emerick hating to do overdubs with George. I think he felt like GH took forever to get his parts down without mistakes. Emerick clearly admired McCartney. Not sure how he felt about Lennon. In my view, all those tedious sessions with George certainly produced great little gems that were genius in their own write.*

The funny little thing that Emerick observed was that the Beatles did not share meals with anyone. I recall that they had set up a little screened off area with a table and chairs for them to take tea breaks. No one was allowed back there. Emerick does feel a little hurt that not once did any of them invite him out for dinner after a session. He characterizes it as just one of those odd Beatles things. No doubt circumstances made them bond together and keep the world at bay.

In a New Yorker interview from 10 years ago, maybe, McCartney talked of how George and Ringo always "got it" in terms of understanding how they could contribute to the recording process.

Funny story. Martin Short had attended a film showing at someone's house in LA. He wound up sitting next to George. Someone lit up a joint and passed it around. When it reached George, he held it up and said, "Ah, the sixties!"

*Get it?

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I know that the reason cited for George walking out of the sessions is what he regarded as McCartney's domineering behavior, but the moment he decides to leave is when John is finally really engaged and he and Paul seem to really be getting along. Also, Harrison had earlier had a big argument with Lennon that was rumored (and denied) to have gotten physical.

srblue5

Tele-Holic
***Spoiler alerts...my apologies***

I just finished Part 1. I'm finding I have to watch it in 30-45 minute chunks, partly because I'm in the middle of moving and partly because it is a lot to take in in one sitting. Peter Jackson seems to really like longer multi-part films. I think some footage could have been edited out and maybe left for extra features if there is a DVD release someday. The parts with Dick James (publisher?) didn't really add much, in my opinion.

John and George are my favourite Beatles. Considering how much I have read about how "distant" John was around this time, he actually seems as witty and funny as he always was. When he mouths the words to "Let It Be" into the camera while Paul is singing them, it reminds me of some of his humorous bits from the Help! and Magical Mystery Tour movies (and the "We Can Work It Out" promo film). Yoko doesn't seem to be a distraction or off-putting presence at all aside from sitting there knitting or going over paperwork. It's kind of sweet to see John & Yoko (and Paul & Linda) as "normal" couples.

Unfortunately, George does come off a bit poorly. I don't think it was intentional. I can see how he cracked and left. His fairly fleshed out songs do seem to be ignored in favour of works-in-progress from Lennon & McCartney (some of which are quite vague in their formative stages) -- considering they were looking for enough material to fill a live show in only a matter of weeks, they could have given him a bit more room. I always thought a semi-orchestrated version of "All Things Must Pass" would've been a great ending track for Let It Be or Abbey Road.

The part where George compares his style of playing to Eric Clapton's suggests some insecurity on his part when it comes to guitar playing too. I can see how Paul is trying to be helpful and methodical around rehearsing but I can also see how George maybe felt attacked or criticized in many ways.

Onto Part 2...right after I pack up some more boxes. :(

turftone

TDPRI Member
I'm just starting part 2. All I can say is wow, it's really clear what a drama queen George is being. He decides to quit right when they're on the hook for putting together an entire album and a live performance? Less than a full week before the deadline? "Frustrated" or not (at not getting his songs included? or at not being half as good a songwriter as either John or Paul, one has to wonder), he couldn't be professional, man up, and wait til the project was over before "quitting?"

That screams one thing to me: Diva

maggieo

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If The Beatles were a nuclear family they'd be:

Paul- oldest brother, is serious about doing stuff.
John- the bratty and funny youngest brother
George- the misunderstood, miserable, and sensitive middle child
Ringo- the fun cousin from out of town

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
It worth mentioning that Patty had had an argument with George and had left him around the time filming started.
I suspect this may also have had a big impact on his attitude. As I was watching the scene...it was pretty clear something was really bothering him.