Beatles- Get Back Documentary

SneakyPup

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Really enjoying this but I imagine it might be a slog for non-musicians to watch the tedious process of building songs.

Some takeaways:
- Singing and playing sounds very rough at the beginning of the new song ideas, knowing how polished the final result will be. Gives hope to us musicians who give up after early run-throughs because the new song sounds bad; Beatles forge on until it works.
- Paul and John's working chemistry, more amicable than I thought.
- Not a lot for Ringo to do until they work out the song. But he is a calming presence.
- Why is George using a wa wa so much?
- Yoko not the disturbance I imagined. Her "singing" clip strikes me as a just a section where everybody is cutting up for fun.
- Instruments all sort of interchangeable. You just pick up whatever is laying around. Not much focus on getting my tone man.
- My wife always slags Paul as trying to run things. My take is that he is like me as the member who has to say: "Hey, we gotta get something done here!"

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've only seen the first episode so far, and I found it tedious. I hope it gets better as it progresses. Watching a band learn their material is about as exciting as watching paint dry. At least Yoko didn't do any singing yet.

I guess you didn't see the very end of the first episode, because Yoko WAS "singing".

I actually found it fascinating watching songs literally come together out of thin air.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I guess you didn't see the very end of the first episode, because Yoko WAS "singing".

I actually found it fascinating watching songs literally come together out of thin air.

Only saw the first two hours so far, so you spoiled the ending for me. Actually, thanks for the warning.

teleplayr

Tele-Afflicted
It's funny how all the previous ad's for it said that there are three episodes at two hours each. The first was 2:39 and the second was 2:53. I wonder how long number three will be. I'm looking forward to seeing the complete roof-top show!

I managed to connect my DVR to our Apple+ and burned DVD's of them. I had to re-burn the first episode after having my DVR set for two hours.

Still no word when they'll be available in a DVD format.

I was amazed at the number of tunes they started rehearsing that wound-up being on individual solo albums that weren't included on a Beatles record.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Only saw the first two hours so far, so you spoiled the ending for me. Actually, thanks for the warning.

I thought you said you saw the first episode, and that was at the end of the first episode. It was hard to tell whether she was being serious, or just goofing off.

teleplayr

Tele-Afflicted
Really enjoying this but I imagine it might be a slog for non-musicians to watch the tedious process of building songs.

Some takeaways:
- Singing and playing sounds very rough at the beginning of the new song ideas, knowing how polished the final result will be. Gives hope to us musicians who give up after early run-throughs because the new song sounds bad; Beatles forge on until it works.
- Paul and John's working chemistry, more amicable than I thought.
- Not a lot for Ringo to do until they work out the song. But he is a calming presence.
- Why is George using a wa wa so much?
- Yoko not the disturbance I imagined. Her "singing" clip strikes me as a just a section where everybody is cutting up for fun.
- Instruments all sort of interchangeable. You just pick up whatever is laying around. Not much focus on getting my tone man.
- My wife always slags Paul as trying to run things. My take is that he is like me as the member who has to say: "Hey, we gotta get something done here!"

I have a feeling (no pun intended) that if Paul wasn't pushing everyone it wouldn't have been done.

Recce

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Can't wait for it to be available on some other platform/format.

I'm not giving my money to Disney:eek:
Considering that Disney probably owns it even when it is on a different format Disney will get there share. Your choice. I don’t have Disney and this won’t make me get it but not because of any dislike for Disney. Just paying enough for television.

421JAM

Tele-Holic
"

Add this to the long list of reasons why Ringo is a terrific drummer and musician.

Knowing when to be quiet is vital to group music making. A lot of bands (maybe the vast majority) never got off the ground, or never rose to their artistic or commercial potential because the musicians didn’t know how to be quiet when their sound is not needed. Drummers are definitely not the only guilty party in this phenomenon. This is probably a bigger problem for most bands than lack of talent.

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
I never realized George was such a drama queen whiner. I was struck also by the low key decorum of yoko (so far), and the great talent of John and clear genius of Paul. He's writing these amazing songs like Get Back and Let It Be virtually on the spot! You can see the respect Lennon has for him during the first hearings of Let It Be, almost like damn, I wish I wrote that!

Speaking of George, his leaving seemed to come out of the blue. One minute he's sitting there playing like everything's fine, and the next he's walking out like "see you in the clubs." Wha??? Where did that come from?

I take that as a real and huge failure on the part of Jackson, as there obviously had to have been a lot of tensions leading up to George quitting that he never really showed. I heard some of those arguments on the excellent Pop Goes the 60s yt vids, and I'm really surprised that Jackson just left all of that out. There's a whole discussion before and after that part where George is saying "I'll play anything you want, or nothing at all," that Jackson didn't even include. Very poor editing, imo, but I haven't read any "spoiler" reviews so I don't know if he tracks back over that again or what.

So far then, I have to say the footage is fantastic, but it's been edited really badly - almost making it seem boring at times. John and especially Paul are really shining, though.
I do wonder if Paul, or someone else, asked for the camera’s to be shut off for private discussions. I did notice GH trying to get songs into the fold but not getting much in the way of enthusiasm from the others. GH does say they’re “slow” and more suited to “solo performance” or something to that effect. I’ve always felt bad for GH for being in the spot to play catch up with the Lennon/McCartney team.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
things take time to be really, really good. (a lesson I have learned before.) being willing to just be patient and stay with things and keep working them and working them until you understand them, then can tame them, then can bring them back alive with them both under your control AND breathing magic.... all takes the time and patience that most folks just don't have. The Beatles were a group of four people who could do that together.... that is mind blowing.

When Lindsey Buckingham worked on Tusk, from what I know he spent that kind of time.... but, he infuriated everyone around him, NO one else in that band had the patience or time to do that process....

I realize that every band I was ever in, I was the 'prepared' guy, I'd rehearsed and learned the parts and wrote the charts and coached people up and encouraged key changes etc... but, I never put in enough time for my own songs to be truly 'good' and no one I ever played with ever had the 'time in' on any of it to be anything other than 'oh thats pretty good'....

heck, you can see it in this thread, even watching PART of their process was too taxing.

In my engineering days, we used to joke about the guys who could not stay with something long enough to solve it. It would get kicked to the A team.... we could sit for days with something 20 hour days, sometimes more, and then the problem would give in and give up and we'd solve it. Just two or three of us... joking, arguing, snapping, laughing and when we were done, we'd get breakfast (regardless of time of day) exhilarated.

I'm disappointed that I didn't figure that out for music (this morning) but maybe I will take two weeks off at the holidays and work on ONE song and see what happens.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
i enjoyed it, althought it was a bit long. jackson isn't renowned for his brevity, that's for sure. he could easily have shaved another hour off that first episode and maybe saved it for some sort of director's cut later on.
stand out for me was when george leaves and paul goes 'if he's not back by tuesday we'll get clapton in'. genuine lol..
i was quite surprised at the lack of reaction to i, me, mine. you could see george was happy to introduce it and thinking 'this could be a great tune' yet they show no real willingness to work it up.

PARCO

Tele-Holic
Also, from what I've read, for earlier recordings George Martin would listen to their initial versions and makes suggestions about the arrangement. I didn't see any of this in the first episode. I enjoyed seeing them work through the new material. They are clearly struggling a bit but I was comforted in knowing that they would eventually come up with the goods. They are human after all.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I think it's pretty clear Harrison was going through a confidence crisis while McCartney may have been entering his best. On the heels of WMGGW, the oddly stated reverence for Clapton, the Les Paul and wahwah that needed to be tucked away when he wasn't looking, it's clear George was struggling. It's an interesting realization that these tired lads were in their twenties, what, 7 years into the Beatle phenomenon.

Recce

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
things take time to be really, really good. (a lesson I have learned before.) being willing to just be patient and stay with things and keep working them and working them until you understand them, then can tame them, then can bring them back alive with them both under your control AND breathing magic.... all takes the time and patience that most folks just don't have. The Beatles were a group of four people who could do that together.... that is mind blowing.

When Lindsey Buckingham worked on Tusk, from what I know he spent that kind of time.... but, he infuriated everyone around him, NO one else in that band had the patience or time to do that process....

I realize that every band I was ever in, I was the 'prepared' guy, I'd rehearsed and learned the parts and wrote the charts and coached people up and encouraged key changes etc... but, I never put in enough time for my own songs to be truly 'good' and no one I ever played with ever had the 'time in' on any of it to be anything other than 'oh thats pretty good'....

heck, you can see it in this thread, even watching PART of their process was too taxing.

In my engineering days, we used to joke about the guys who could not stay with something long enough to solve it. It would get kicked to the A team.... we could sit for days with something 20 hour days, sometimes more, and then the problem would give in and give up and we'd solve it. Just two or three of us... joking, arguing, snapping, laughing and when we were done, we'd get breakfast (regardless of time of day) exhilarated.

I'm disappointed that I didn't figure that out for music (this morning) but maybe I will take two weeks off at the holidays and work on ONE song and see what happens.
I am like that. I won’t work on learning one song long enough to actually learn it. I know this and still do it.

Teddyjack

Tele-Afflicted
We watched episode one it last night. I don't really get some of the comments here about George whining. He seems more frustrated than anything. I thought he showed great restraint dealing with McCartney. Some other takeaways I had were that Yoko was not as intrusive as the stories would have us believe (she's always been an easy target); John was way more passive that I thought he would be; I found Michael Lindsay-Hogg to be distracting and slightly annoying. Finally, watching and listening to the songs come together was unbelievably cool. Looking forward to part two tonight.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
It wasn't quite as painfully obvious as it was in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but man, are they clearly headed for a divorce. Paul is trying to work. John doesn't want to be there and acts out constantly. Paul and John barely acknowledge George. Ringo is Ringo, god bless him.

Interesting new data about Yoko. My take was that John is 100% responsible for her being there attached at the hip. She has no business being there in the band circle, and her mere presence feels disruptive just on screen. But that's all on John. There's no sign that Yoko was inserting herself into the creative process, as has often been alleged. He appears to be using her as an emotional crutch. He doesn't seem well (emotionally, drugs, whatever). George doesn't look too good, either.